Report: How well works a Rebirth Pandora?

rohezal

Advanced Member
Some people may wonder how "good" a Rebirth Pandora is. Here is my experience:

I got mine second handed from kindoddball. I can overclock to 1000 mhz cpu (did not try higher) and to 380/3 mhz gpu speed (means the RAM and gpu runs at ~ 127 mhz). Maybe it can be posted at pandoralive too. I like this blog very much :) .

Nintendo DS (Drastic): Works fine, most games with 600 mhz, some with 800 or 1000 mhz. Played most Mario 64 DS, Mario Kart DS (in some courses a bit slow, but very playable) and Mario and Luigi Brothers in Time. No problem so far.

Jedi Knight 2: Overclock to 1000 / 380 mhz. First level works like a charm. Outer giant area of second level is a bit slow but very playable. Inside probably perfect again. The Quake3 engine is known for its problem with big outside areas.

PSX: Perfect

GBA (several emulators): Perfect

Super Tux Kart: a bit slow. Can be improved when you overclock the gpu to 110% but still a bit slow. Did not try it at 380 mhz

PSP: Mana Khanemia (Student Alliance) is playable (1000/380). Quite perfekt when running around in 3D levels or at world map. A bit slow in battles (or with high frame skip some minor graphic bugs). In talks very fast / perfect. When a speech bubble in the world pops up one second slow very slow. Happens rarely. The alchemist menu is laggy but can helped a bit with high frameskip. One trick is to press the n key. It makes the frame rate fixes, which mean the game works fluid. But this can lead to sound stutters. So when the scene is too much (happens rarely with a lot of stuff going on) I press n when I walk around, so it is full speed. And when someone talks I press n again so the sound wont stutter. But like I said, the sound stuttering happens rarely.

N64: Mario Kart 64 is playable. The 180 Snowboard game is realy slow but playable. Most games dont work.

Surfing: Works well and fast. Sometimes very java script addicted sites are slow at loading.

Youtube: To stupid for mini tube :(

Music: sshfs to get access to my music on my server. Audiacus. Perfect for streaming.

Admin: vnc, ssh, sshfs works without problems. Had to install java for vnc via pnd. No problem.

Pandebian: perfect

Coding&Stuff: Using QT Creator with open cv for my master of computer science studies. QT Creator works good, some problems with auto complete in some cases. Sometimes a bit slow during auto complete, maybe sd card speed is the limit (got an average 32 GB sd card).

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people may wonder how "good" a Rebirth Pandora is. Here is my experience:

I got mine second handed from kindoddball. I can overclock to 1000 mhz cpu (did not try higher) and to 380/3 mhz gpu speed (means the RAM and gpu runs at ~ 127 mhz). Maybe it can be posted at pandoralive too. I like this blog very much :) .
Haha, I was just going to ask you if I can repost this :)

I believe you are OK then ? :)

Yes you can :) . Added something about the n (fixed framerate key) to the psp.

And with Qemu can we play Games up to Sim Copter/Diablo1/Dungeon Keeper/Gta Freeware/Command&Conquer Freeware Version and many others on Rebirth :)

Dosgames,Windows3.11/95 Games work often better than Dosbos,but sometimes not,it belong to the Game Engine itself.

Starcraft is possible too :)

i forgot to mention that mana khemia has way faster loading times then on the original games sometimes te are so short you won’t notice them.
at least at ign the long loading time were a big minus for the gamez fixed on the pandora, but the game is slow in battles. maybe this can be added to the article too.

Did another test with super tux kart one 1000 / 380. the world selection screen is still a bit slow. but a least the egyptian curse runs fullspeed or sometimes near fullspeed as time trial. very nice. hope they can fix the minimap bug of this game.

Diablo 1 und GTA 2 works very nice on the PSX rearmed (while GTA 2 has less cops etc then in the pc version). C&C sounds funny :) .

I don't suppose anyone could do a 1GHz comparison maybe do a chart comparing the experiences of software on Rebirth v 1GHz it might entice some upgrades and it would just be useful to know in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diablo 1 und GTA 2 works very nice on the PSX rearmed (while GTA 2 has less cops etc then in the pc version). C&C sounds funny :) .
There are a lot of games on the pc that came out on the psx or visaversa.

And they play flawlessly on the psx rearmed,So i dont even try to play them on dosbox or qemu B)

Coding&Stuff: Using QT Creator with open cv for my master of computer science studies. QT Creator works good, some problems with auto complete in some cases. Sometimes a bit slow during auto complete, maybe sd card speed is the limit (got an average 32 GB sd card).
Where did you get QTCreator from?

for qt creator i installed pandebian. then i used normaly apt-get install qtcreator

Back