Development Bounties

Hardware utilization. It'd be absolutely awesome to see the 100 hour music playback with the DSP.
Flash would be incredible
A true sleep mode is a must for me
N64 emulator working 100 % is basically why I bought this, so I'd like to see that doing well too.

Craig I really really really like how you want to put this into full throttle forwards, I think it's really important to get this stuff worked out now too.

EDIT: I think we should have a vote somewhere on what we'd like to see, so it's not just a bunch of forum chatter. More official than a forum vote, though.

Pickle said:
antheus123 said:
mame4all and gngeo is all i want :) i'd donate for those

pickle.gp2x.de/gngeo-pnd.zip

Awesome! Ask and you shall receive! Thanks Pickle, you da man! Guess I know what I'll be doing tonight :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with a bounty is probably more people seeing a contest they think they could win but not being able to enter for some random reason. One of those reasons might relate to the number of Pandoras in the wild. If there were more of them then the stuff we're putting bounties on might happen faster but otherwise are being left to a hand full of people lucky enough to have them and be able to contribute. So there might be a suitable coder who'd gladly do it for free if he had his pandora but because he doesnt might only be able to look from a distance and go "aww man..."

Here's hoping what ever gets the money is of great use to everyone.

Although I guess emulators are important for most people I hope users that have bought the Pandora and contributed to the fund (like me) for Web Browsing, Video Playback etc are not left out.

Video Playback
Flash 10
Hardware Acceleration of Video Playback
Hardware Acceleration of Flash
PDF Reader
Adding all (both official and contrib) useful scripts / settings to the official firmware and making them easy to use
General Firmware/Kernel updates

I would also like to see packaging done correctly for all downloads - i.e. all the PND features are used correctly and only SD cards (not NAND) used for data storage so the benefit of PND can be properly exploited.

I would also like to see all packages to be available in one place - at the moment I get the impression some are in the files area of GP32X, some are on the AppStore and some are on developers websites. This defeats the objective of an AppStore.

gpx74532 said:
I would also like to see all packages to be available in one place - at the moment I get the impression some are in the files area of GP32X, some are on the AppStore and some are on developers websites. This defeats the objective of an AppStore.

This isn't Apple; we got freedom baby! But amongst the chaos and turbulence, rises the the Pandora App Store with (hopefully) tried, tested and working software.

Ari64 said:
Well, the problem with this example is that it took me a few months to rewrite the dynamic recompiler, but I spent the next year fixing and debugging it. So I'm not sure what bounties for something like that will get you, probably something that just barely works well enough to collect the bounty.

You don't really need an emulator to be out publicly to get enough of a feel for compatibility to weed out bugs. Especially on a platform like N64 which doesn't have a library of thousands. Get a few trustworthy betatesters and you'll make it most of the way.

That's for collecting ransoms - you're right about collecting on bounties, but that's why bounties usually have these ridiculous clauses like "95% compatibility" or something, or nonsense about "playable" speed.

Also, geez, one year. Time sure flies >_>

well i am okay with game related bounties so long as they are probably only 1 in 5 or more of the bounties being run. they shouldnt be ignored but they definitely shouldnt be the priority.

there must be a good way to compile a long list of this stuff then vote to make some kind of order for it all

edit - heh that should be 1 in 5 or less

I think we need to encourage not just ports, or "me-too" stuff, but software that is exclusive to the Pandora. We need to show that Pandora is more than just an emulation station or a media encyclopedia. Show people software that no other machine has, or do something that no other handheld can do. Sure the other stuff is nice, but most of us can do all of that on a laptop/netbook. I didn't just buy a Pandora so I could have mini-laptop functionality. I want to see so much more than stuff that has been mentioned here.

iprice said:
I think we need to encourage not just ports, or "me-too" stuff, but software that is exclusive to the Pandora. We need to show that Pandora is more than just an emulation station or a media encyclopedia. Show people software that no other machine has, or do something that no other handheld can do. Sure the other stuff is nice, but most of us can do all of that on a laptop/netbook. I didn't just buy a Pandora so I could have mini-laptop functionality. I want to see so much more than stuff that has been mentioned here.

But what you're asking is for people to develop software that's only made available on Pandora when it could probably exist on PC without much extra work. Why would you expect people to artificially restrict their userbase? I don't think the bounties should be used to encourage this; OP isn't Sony and shouldn't be buying exclusivity contracts (not that they could really afford it).

If Pandora inspires new software, period, perhaps done with Pandora's control scheme in mind, then that alone should be a win, regardless of whether or not it ends up being something only Pandora can do.

But what you're asking is for people to develop software that's only made available on Pandora when it could probably exist on PC without much extra work. Why would you expect people to artificially restrict their userbase? I don't think the bounties should be used to encourage this; OP isn't Sony and shouldn't be buying exclusivity contracts (not that they could really afford it).

I'm not saying that OP should pay for exclusivity (that's upto devs, anyway), just saying that (pretty much) everything everyone has already mentioned so far is and can be done on a laptop. If that's all everyone wants from Pandora, then that is a crying shame.

craigix said:
We already have the development fund, the question is, who gets it and for what?
Re this and various "e.g. Fix up the Amiga Emu" posts.

Due to the problem (as stated by e.g. Ari64 of development time vs bugfixing, I reckon look for already done software that is closed source.

e.g. This guy - http://www.bitbanksoftware.com/SmartGear.html - writes closed-source profit making hand-coded Assembler optimized emus for ARM (windows) mobile devices.

He has decades in emulation (he wrote the HIVE emulator if you can remember that far back). He states he offers his source code for licensing. I spoke to him a while ago about a 68020 core (for amiga 1200 emulation) and although he is not willing to just open source it, he does have an ARM assembler 68020 core. Maybe he could be offered cash to release it/license it. Of course, the problem here is that we would want to integrate it to open source software (PUAE) so it might be a non-starter.

But an example where money might talk, might not.

PS: Probably best for people interested in this NOT to all email him.

silver said:
Maybe he could be offered cash to release it/license it.
On that note, I seem to remember having the impression that the dev fund was finding a place licensing something (Doom3 was a possible suggestion, I believe) which someone in OPT could then port and sell. Did that idea completely dissolve, or am I just making stuff up?

WizardStan said:
silver said:
Maybe he could be offered cash to release it/license it.
On that note, I seem to remember having the impression that the dev fund was finding a place licensing something (Doom3 was a possible suggestion, I believe) which someone in OPT could then port and sell. Did that idea completely dissolve, or am I just making stuff up?

Nope. Craig posted a thread asking what stuff people might like commercially ported etc. Very similar to this thread infact...?

Poor Craig! Can't do right for doing wrong.

I can see both sides of the argument so I'm a bit confused at the moment.

Buying an emulator seems wrong. It's bad enough using a ROM you have no licence for but to profit from emulating a machine is more dodgy.

3d acceleration and other bespoke Pandora improvements would be top of my list.

But then I have not contributed to the fund, or have a Pandora or have any skills, other than some basic scripting. So I leave it in the hand of those that have, do and can.

Back