Designs

CoMiKe said:
Here's another design. Just learning Inkscape a bit more ;)
Since the swivel is out of the question for patent, cost and durability reasons, such designs with controls next to screen and keyboard (main unit below) are unusable.

You'd be holding the device by the screen. Main weight of the device would be in the keyboard dangling below, making it stressful to hold for more than a few minutes. Thumbs would not be able to move down to access the analog controllers because you'd have to grip it so hard due to balance problems.

Plus this makes the device larger than would fit in a pocket. Would make overall thickness greater. Has no room for good speaker placement.

I expect craigix and mweston are too polite to point out how flawed this is.

Last edited by a moderator:
zacaj said:
Post your designs for the Pandora here.
craig.gif

Ignore my PHotoshopping skills
Wanna know why noone is taking your design seriously, check this prototype of the XGP

XGP1.jpg

;D

icurafu said:
So could we get the "source" to the 3D art. So that we can make small modifications to it as community requests. Or even play with skins to show-off refered design.
Yeah, would be fun imo. But i only know truespace :p

I think i'd like a bit of rounding on the corners and a bit of a bezel on the bottom front face. Nothing radical. Would look a tad more elegant, without cutting off room for lectronics.

pand031207_02_pupnik.jpg

(Edit) why are connectors on the front and sd cards on the back? Seems backwards to me. Cables out the back would be less in-the-way.

(Edit(edit)) Bleh. I'm not sure the beveled front would look better. Needs to be rendered and seen from all angles.

pupnik said:
I expect craigix and mweston are too polite to point out how flawed this is.
Well, if I don't have anything nice to say, then say nothing at all right? :)

But seriously, some of the suggestions are great in magical fairy land, but they don't take any mechanical, structural or electrical design principles into account. For instance: having the LCD slide all the way across the face of the unit and then angle up when it gets to the back. It sounds good if the LCD can phone in it's frame buffer requests. :) Where would the wires go???

It's cool reading everyone's suggestions, but they can't all expect to be taken seriously. :)

MWeston said:
It's cool reading everyone's suggestions, but they can't all expect to be taken seriously. :)
That's not to say that suggestions are unwelcome, of course. Just don't expect everyone will fawn over your designs (especially in this forum).

Yuglooc said:
Wanna know why noone is taking your design seriously, check this prototype of the XGP
XGP1.jpg

;D
Owww... guess I really am one of the few who liked the idea of the XGP. :(

I also lost my concept of the design, which I placed somewhere in that "Our New Machine," thread. Bleh.

I have made a quick 3D scribble of a possible Volume Dial. Made out of Metal to prevent a "cheap" look. :)

volumewheelet2.png

I imagine, it's not easy to spin so it also "feels" good. The Wheel is hidden in the case but easy to reach with the fingers.

I'd really prefer such wheel because sticking out slider would constantly be dragged by clothes, becomes loose and eventyally just won't stay in one place. And if you need quick adjustment making several small moves for wheel seems easier than shoving the slider all across the scale.

fusion_power said:
I have made a quick 3D scribble of a possible Volume Dial. Made out of Metal to prevent a "cheap" look. :)

volumewheelet2.png

I imagine, it's not easy to spin so it also "feels" good. The Wheel is hidden in the case but easy to reach with the fingers.

That looks nice, I like.

I'd like to see a compilation of all the old design suggestions in the main "Our new machine" thread. Some of those looked pretty good but ultimately I am very happy with the way this thing turned out. It is gonna look great and it will make me mad if I can't buy this thing.

Well Ok here was my render of what it was going to be. This was actually what the Pandora was going to be at one time. It had a 640 x 480 VGA screen.
gp4q2.jpg

DaveC or someone else involved, why did they decide on the current design as opposed to the old one?

Don't feel so bad Metal-Geo I liked the design as well. Many people were haters but it had potential. Just not enough. I am thinking the best design is the one we have, including some small changes. I think the Volume wheel is nice, that is my vote.

As credit to DaveC I thought a detachable main unit would be great, especially if you were just playing some snes so I like your original design. I was never a fan of a slider keyboard because ... Slider+Sand= Broke dick.

If I were to guess, the lack of 640x480 screens meant that making it as per DaveC's design would have meant it would be prohibitively wide, so they cut the stuff from the top panel and stuck it underneath. Such a design also makes the analogue pads harder to place - where would they go on DaveC's?

Possible battery economy issues may also have come into play; not sure...

Metal-Geo said:
Yuglooc said:
XGP1.jpg

;D
Owww... guess I really am one of the few who liked the idea of the XGP. :(

I also lost my concept of the design, which I placed somewhere in that "Our New Machine," thread. Bleh.

I really like that XGP design.... well bit more rounded or less angles so it doesn't try to look like a stealth brick, and have the screen flush with the rest of the case when closed and rotated

I like Davec's mockup. Having the touch screen and the control buttons on the same panel makes sense. Making the keyboard detachable and able to protect the screen is very convenient.

Is this the "wishful thinking depository"? ;) I might as well post one of my old designs too :p

...And in case anyone missed it I also made a quick touch up on the the current pandora design. This was just an attempt to make it look less geekish ;)

xcen said:
the detachable keyboard is sooooo much of a good idea... you should start another poll =P
Actually the detachable KB was actually Craig's idea originally. I just designed, modelled and rendered it :)

Back