Designs

zacaj

void main()
Website
zacaj.com
Post your designs for the Pandora here.
craig.gif

Ignore my PHotoshopping skills

I lost faith in this thread once your image loaded.

Why do you even need this thread any more now that the major parts of the design have been pretty much finalised

chris_r said:
I lost faith in this thread once your image loaded.

Why do you even need this thread any more now that the major parts of the design have been pretty much finalised

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to see what people think it should look like. I know its finalized, Im just curious

Sorry for the double post. I posted this in the Designs poll, but then I've seen this thread.
--------------------------
I've made a late mock-up of what I would like the Pandora to be.

It's very different to the current Pandora design, but well, shouldn't hurt to post this here.

Anyway, I'm not a great designer and it's my first time using Inkscape. Don't be too hard on me.

It's a clamshell design, a little wider than the GP2X, but with the rotated screen laying over the keyboard, it helps on using the stylus, and has four shoulder buttons when you are using it as a gaming handheld.

myPandoraMock-up.png

That design I really do like comike, the only worry is the strength of the middle hinge, would be nice if craig etc. would look into a redesign similar to this one- considering the initial design has had a mixed reception.

Yep, there's a lot of people that thinks the hinge would be a problem.

Anyway, I remember to have seen a UMPC with a similar hinge, but I don't remember where...

I will search it. This is my preferred design for sure, it should be better for gaming and PDA use, and retain its usability as a mini-laptop!

Here is a request.

I understand that the previous model is the prototype.

So could we get the "source" to the 3D art. So that we can make small modifications to it as community requests. Or even play with skins to show-off refered design.

I think the design is lovely but I doubt that it will be very stable. This thing is bound to break when in laptop use.

xnopasaranx said:
I think the design is lovely but I doubt that it will be very stable. This thing is bound to break when in laptop use.
Ah but will it used in laptop mode as much as standard gaming? Considering the clamshell design will constantly be open no matter what use you put it too, maybe a design like this could improve the lifespan of the device? Of course you'd have to test and test etc. etc. for that. And developing a hinge like that would take too long, so I guess the design will almost certainly stay as a clamshell..

icurafu said:
Here is a request.

I understand that the previous model is the prototype.

So could we get the "source" to the 3D art. So that we can make small modifications to it as community requests. Or even play with skins to show-off refered design.
Hmm, pretty hard unless you have 3dsmax and can do understand German as all parts are named in German.
I'll be happy to include any designs and render it out, though.

Last edited:
CoMiKe said:
Sorry for the double post. I posted this in the Designs poll, but then I've seen this thread.

I
This is very much what I had been hoping for, and what I think you would have to have if you want the Pandora to go mainstream. As it currently stands, it just isn't going to attract the casual user, and will remain a niche product for the homebrew/dev community. And my concern, if you look at the poll results for the design, even the homebrew/dev community aren't sold on the design, so the mainstream community are going to be very fazed.

CoMiKe said:

It's very different to the current Pandora design, but well, shouldn't hurt to post this here.

Anyway, I'm not a great designer and it's my first time using Inkscape. Don't be too hard on me.

It's a clamshell design, a little wider than the GP2X, but with the rotated screen laying over the keyboard, it helps on using the stylus, and has four shoulder buttons when you are using it as a gaming handheld.

myPandoraMock-up.png
wow! I REALLY like that design. needs a little tweeking but its an interesting concept. the pandora right now is ok but this design has some potential!

aphexpusher said:
CoMiKe said:

myPandoraMock-up.png
wow! I REALLY like that design. needs a little tweeking but its an interesting concept. the pandora right now is ok but this design has some potential!

Agreed, much better than the official renders we've seen.

Yes, thumbs up here too for CoMike's design. The advantage of Mikes design over the official one is that we get more room for keys on the keyboard and everyone is saying the current design needs AT LEAST TAB, CTRL and ALT added. CTRL and ALT are need for both quitting X11, changing res in X11, Qemu uses them and so will DOSEmu etc. There's going to be a lot of upset emu fans if Pandora doesn't get an extra set of shoulder buttons too!

The hinge you have seen before on the clamshell Zaurus machines and also the HTC universal and, don't worry, it works very well indeed. So well that I bought 2 Zaurii, a c3000 and a c3100! The build quality of the Z cxxxx range was top rate, as good as any PC, Mac, Amiga or whatever you care to name, so that's what I'll be comparing Pandora to.

But, putting shoulder buttons on the top of the screen will mean the screen will need to be as deep as the keyboard half, otherwise I would imagine the screen part would only be around half the depth of the keyboard segment or less.

BUT what about playing games that need more buttons than a PSX pad has, or stuff that uses keyboard and a joystick? Could the original design be better for those games, so you're not having to switch hand position?

Back