Beta Dega

cosam

Website
www.cosam.org
Here's a simple SMS/GG emulator to keep us going until a proper one comes out. It claims an estimated compatibility of 97%. It is not really optimised but appears to run full speed at 500MHz - YMMV.

Stuff I know is missing/sub-optimal:
  • Scaling is done using the frame buffer tool and may look blurry with the current settings.
  • Graphical glitches are likely. There is no vsync, not even proper double buffering right now.
  • No menu. Uses a zenity picker, but ROM directory is at least saved between sessions.
  • GG's Mickey Mouse - Castle of Illusion doesn't work (graphics are messed up).
  • No PND preview. Empty tag is there so maybe this can still be overridden.
Controls:
  • DPad for directions.
  • X = Button 1
  • B = Button 2
  • Start = Start
  • Quit = Pandora button
  • Load state: L + number
  • Save state: R + number
http://apps.open-pandora.org/cgi-bin/viewapp.pl?/Emulator/dega-1.16-2.inf

Alerino said:
Screen could be a little bigger though
Yeah, I was planning to do something about that. The framebuffer tool makes it pretty easy to scale arbitrarily. I just uploaded an updated package which adds "Dega Options" to the "Settings" menu where you can choose from:

• Normal mode (integer scaling)
  • Full screen, maintain aspect ratio
  • Full screen, stretch to fill
The update is subject to approval but can be recognised by the updated file name (dega-1.16b.pnd).

Last edited by a moderator:
Alerino said:
it says updated, but the file hasn't changed yet
Yeah, I can upload any old crap if it's a new app but updating something that I've uploaded myself needs approval. Go figure ;-) I'll change the link to point to my own site for now.

SteveM said:
Alerino said:
it says updated, but the file hasn't changed yet
Yeah, I can upload any old crap if it's a new app but updating something that I've uploaded myself needs approval. Go figure ;-) I'll change the link to point to my own site for now.

You could just use the pandora apps account you have and the forgotten password I sent you?

craigix said:
You could just use the pandora apps account you have and the forgotten password I sent you?
Yeah, thanks for that - works fine. Thing is I'll probably put out a couple more updates shortly and don't want to have to upload them to both sites every time.

SteveM said:
craigix said:
Yeah, thanks for that - works fine. Thing is I'll probably put out a couple more updates shortly and don't want to have to upload them to both sites every time.

Well the idea is that the new site removes the bugs and issues of the old archive, ie once approved you can upload as many updates as you like without approval and the updates are tweeted to the ~500 people who follow Pandora apps and show up as a notice for all the people who previously downloaded it.

Etc.

You can also add paypal donations, if you want to.

Link updated - this version has double buffering and something resembling vsync. Have a look what you think...

http://www.cosam.org/computers/pandora/dega-1.16c.pnd

Alerino said:
did play some alex kidd, not much differences from previous version, saw a little ghosting, but very good gaming experience
It's more noticeable on a fast-moving game like Sonic. If you play the old and new versions after each other the difference is more apparent.

request: map right trigger to drop to zenity (I always want to play more games)
I'll try to get a menu in there eventually but would this be a popular feature? Very easy to implement but maybe a bit confusing/unintuitive?

Unfortunately it looks like Dega won't run with Hotfix3 installed, at least it won't for me anyway. May be worth backing up op_runfbapp before upgrading until I figure that one out.

Alerino said:
until you include a menu, it would be nice to avoid restarting the emu everytime we quit a game
OK, if there's no objections I'll see about doing this.

In the mean time if anyone has trouble running after installing hotfix3 like I did, there's and alternate PND here.

Works ok after hotfix3 here, just had a quick game of Golden Axe. How do you quit the emulator though coz even pressing the pandora button doesn't quit for me. I tried a quick reboot with flicking the power switch while holding the right should button and it just black screens. Had to take the battery out to quit in the end which is a bit of a pain so a menu or even a quit button would be helpful, apart from that it runs pretty good and full screen, I'm a full screen person :)

Edit: I missed the quit button, funny how you can read something without actually reading. Cheers Alerino :)

Updated to 1.16-2, link in first post.

This version adds save states. Hold R and press 0-9 to save, L + (0-9) to load. For some reason this won't work for numbers 2 and 3 so I'll have to look into that.

To quit, press the Pandora button. This will halt the emulator. Press Pandora again to quit, any other key to resume.

SteveM said:
Updated to 1.16-2, link in first post.

This version adds save states. Hold R and press 0-9 to save, L + (0-9) to load. For some reason this won't work for numbers 2 and 3 so I'll have to look into that.

To quit, press the Pandora button. This will halt the emulator. Press Pandora again to quit, any other key to resume.

Is it working with ZIP files already? :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Is it working with ZIP files already? :)
I'm sorry, I didn't receive any patches which do that yet ;) I'll look into it...

Alerino said:
it's crashing here now, i deleted the old appdata and other config files

edit: previous version still works though
I suspect this is the Hotfix3/op_runfbapp issue. This should be fixed if you download the latest hotfix and apply it again.

New version on app store:

• Fixed saving/loading state to slots 2 and 3
  • Simple OSD for save states and quit confirmation
Zipped ROMs will be next. Anyone got a nice code snippet for that?

Version 1.16-4 on the app store now. Adds support for zipped ROMs. Turns out most of the code required was in the Windows port already and just needed minor tweaking.

SteveM said:
Version 1.16-4 on the app store now. Adds support for zipped ROMs. Turns out most of the code required was in the Windows port already and just needed minor tweaking.

Wohoooo! Thanks :D

Last edited:
Back