Debian on SD

I'd say: aptitude search xserver-xorg-video-fbdev aptitude search xserver-xorg-video-omap3
The fbdev line gives

i  xserver-xorg-video-fbdev   -X.Org X server -- fbdev display driver

The omap3 line gives

i  xserver-xorg-video-omap3    -X.Org X server  -- Omapfb display driver (NEON optimized)

@ Linux-SWAT:

xserver-xorg-video-omap3                  
xserver-xorg-video-omapfb

EDIT: OK, aptitute is telling me these two conflict, so which one is the right one? Since you use omapfb in the xorg.conf, I'd say omapfb?

@ apink:

you have installed these two:

xserver-xorg-video-fbdev

xserver-xorg-video-omap3

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my config:

Installed both xserver-xorg-video-fbdev and xserver-xorg-video-omap3.

No /etc/X11/xorg.conf, because "recently" XOrg migrated to the separate configs in xorg.conf.d, so xorg.conf will soon become obsolete.

Instead:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-omapfb.conf

Section "Device"
Identifier "FBDEV"
Driver "fbdev"
Option "ShadowFB" "false"
EndSection

Unfortunatelly, I haven't been able to make omap3 working, I'd get frozen black screen, only reset helps.

and

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-nubs.conf

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Nubs"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/js*"
Driver "joystick"
EndSection

And that's it. X works. Just one note - I'm using KDE and kdm, so I can't help with other X manager options.

I still can't get X working.

I have installed both xservers smilnovi mentioned, generated the same config files.

Also copied the stuff from the pandora (firmwar, moduel and such).

But still gettibg errors, when I try to startx:

[ 127.545] (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
[ 127.547] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev
[ 127.547] (II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
[ 127.547] (II) Unloading fbdev
[ 127.547] (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
[ 127.547] (EE) No drivers available.
[ 127.556]
Fatal server error:
[ 127.556] no screens found

shouldn't these moduels come with the fbdev xserver?

EDIT:

startfluxbox says "xmodmap not found"

EDIT2:

installed x11-server-utils, which brings xmodmap.

"startfluxbox" from CLI gives me:

"xmodmap: unable to open display ''

Error: coudn't connect to XServer"

EDIT3 (learned that startfluxbox should be used by xinit and not from CLI):

Code:
mclien@pandora:~$ startx
/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc: 3: exec: /usr/bin/X: not found

EDIT3 (learned that startfluxbox should be used by xinit and not from CLI):
Yes.  I start x with the startx command and my ".xinitrc" file contains

#!/bin/sh

exec startfluxbox

If I just try startfluxbox from the command line then I get errors:

xmodmap:  unable to open display ''

Error:  Couldn't connect to Xserver passing null display

I did the same after  learned, that startfluxbox from CLI won't work, but get the error as mentioned in my EDIT3.

Perhaps I messed up my installation, because I first installed the omapfb xserver. I then first purged that xserver and installed the other 2. Perhaps I broke something by that actions. It seams /usr/bin/X is missing.

I have no idea how to fix that. Can you check, if your installation has a /usr/bin/X?

I just did a once through on a freshly formatted card with the instructions in post #81 as they have been edited and got fluxbox working at the end.  The only differences were:

1)  I had to rebind the sys and proc mounts with exec and dev flags before the chroot step:

# mount -o remount,exec,dev /sys /SDMountPoint/sys

# mount -o remount,exec,dev /proc /SDMountPoint/proc

(This was done after the original mount -o bind command.  Don't know if it's proper, but it worked.)

and 2)  I had to install a terminal emulator (ex:  xterm) and install x11-xserver-utils for the xmodmap command.  This could be done in the chroot environment, but I was able to do this on the pandora after initial login and before startx via usb-ethernet.  I used the /usr/pandora/scripts/op_usbhost.sh command to toggle on the usb port.

I only installed the fbdev video driver, did not install the omap3 driver.  I did not have to edit any X configuration files except the nubs file and .xinitrc as listed in the instructions. 

Finally got it working (shurely messed up the last install, with the purge of the xserver).

I installed slim for login, which workes fine.

-Touchscreen is messed up somehow (cursors movesthe opposite direction from the stylus in all directions)

-nubs won't work at all EDIT: checkt the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-nubs.conf file: everything like posted here (but U had to create the xorg.conf.d dir myself)

-and I miss the mousbuttons somehow. What do you guys use as substitude? the nubs?

-Touchscreen is messed up somehow (cursors movesthe opposite direction from the stylus in all directions)

-nubs won't work at all EDIT: checkt the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-nubs.conf file: everything like posted here (but U had to create the xorg.conf.d dir myself)

-and I miss the mousbuttons somehow. What do you guys use as substitude? the nubs?
 Good to hear that you got it working.

Touchscreen:  Mine is messed up also.  A touch seems to result in the cursor going to the opposite point on the screen, rotated 180 degrees with the center of the screen being the center of rotation.  I don't use the touchscreen so I haven't bothered finding a fix.

Nubs:  The two big circular pads are programmed to be your mouse in superzaxxon.  To enable this on my install I have to run the following two commands:

# echo mouse > /proc/pandora/nub0/mode

# echo mbuttons > /proc/pandora/nub1/mode

I run these commands before I "startx".  Then the left pad moves the mouse and the right pad functions as left click / right click / double click etc.  The configuration of the pads is documented somewhere on the wiki.

Yes, go ahead and creat the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory to hold the nubs configuration file.

11-touchscreen.conf

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "touchscreen"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Calibration" "3944 112 3808 158"
Option "Width" "800"
Option "Height" "480"
#Option "Protocol" "Auto"
#Option "SwapX" "true"
#Option "SwapY" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/touchscreen0"
Option "CorePointer" "true"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
EndSection

SOmething must be missing in my installation.

I use Wheezy (so I do at my Desktop).

I generated  /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

in that I put the suggested conf files, but they seem to be all ignored....

in that I put the suggested conf files, but they seem to be all ignored....
The same happened with me. I just put 11-touchscreen.conf into xorg.conf.d/ with no results. Pointer still off by 180 degrees.

drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  xorg.conf.d

10-screen.conf  11-touchscreen.conf  99-calibration.conf  99-omap.conf

Ah, bad writing. I ment the perms of the conf files...

(mine are rw-r--r--  xorg.conf.d has the same perms on my pandora)

Back