Death of a Console

It definitely sounds like a capacitor is on the way out. If you are handy with a soldering iron at all, there are a group of 8 or so capacitors bunched up around the two AV outputs. I can't remember which ones do what, but seeing as there are only a few there, it might be worth your while just replacing them one at a time and seeing if your image improves. You could also try the second AV output on the back of the Gamecube. The ports are slightly different, so you would need to have the appropriate cable.

If pulling your Gamecube apart sounds like something you would like to try, you'll need a large 'Gamebit' to open it up (there are generally two sizes. One for cartridges and a larger one for consoles).

Failing those options, it shouldn't cost a great deal to buy another Gamecube. You could consider PAL or NTSC versions. If you went with an NTSC (Japanese or American) one, make sure that you keep hold of your current power supply to use with it.

Well given the year the GameCube came out it wouldn't be surprising if they were subject to that run of dodgy Chinese capacitors. That issue largely related to the dielectric being garbage leading to blown capacitors though, and thus it probably wouldn't be functional if that was the issue.

This is probably something worth checking. I've had motherboards, graphics cards, and monitors display capacitor-related problems. Back in 2003 and 2004, lots of 'good' brands like Panasonic and Nichicon were affected, but even now manufacturers frequently use cheap capacitors, often in power supplies where they are exposed to a lot of heat which they may not even be rated for.

My monitor (Samsung 204B, 1600x1200 display, $320 when I bought it four years or so ago) is no longer made and was not long out of warranty when it stopped working properly (backlight would quit working until after the monitor had been on for ages). Replaced all the caps on the power supply board, and now it works fine again, total cost: $4.66.

I encourage anyone who has hardware die out of warranty to check this - a few dollars and a few minutes with a soldering iron is all it takes to fix a lot of issues.
there's also mean to check capacitor in circuit by measuring the ESR... I'dd like to buy an ESR meter, but I didn't invested the buck into it. blown or bulging capacitor are easy to spot, but the may be in pretty bad shape without exhibiting theses kinds of visual sign...

It's unfortunate that with the more advanced technology that goes into consoles, the more likely they are to break down too :(

I've only had one RROD in 4-5? years of owning the machine, and using it pretty much day in/day out. I did have a scare one day though when it wouldn;t come on. No lights, no hum nothing. I seriously panicked for a couple of minutes - thinking about having to contact microsoft etc. etc. Then I pulled out the tv unit and realized that I'd accidentally pulled out the power brick cable earlier when doing something else with one of my other machines. Plugged it in and all was well. There was a huge sigh of relief I can tell you.

I only suffered one RRoD too, strange, eh?

But no other losses. My Gamecube is still working,

A little research told me which capacitors do what.

the capacitor to the upper left it for Composite video, the other two in the circle is for S-video.

Edit: I should also mention the orientation of the board in that picture, the memory card slots are to the right, and the AV ports to the left

UncutTop.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any real survivors, my gamecube probably would be the one for still active.

My old woody Atari 2600 lasted longest, over a decade easy of pretty regular play before donated to my Nan's flat for youngster cousins to pick up and enjoy

the capacitor to the upper left it for Composite video, the other two in the circle is for S-video.

Edit: I should also mention the orientation of the board in that picture, the memory card slots are to the right, and the AV ports to the left

That's the one. Nice find :) I remembered that there are only 8ish caps at the back of the board, but couldn't remember who does what without the picture...

Those are SMD capacitors, which means you might need to find someone with a hot-air station to replace them.

On the other hand, I have heard of people doing it with two soldering irons and three hands (you heat the two legs and have someone else wield the tweezers).

Good luck.

well since there's only two legs, one could just heat and lift up one side, then do the same for the other.

Possibly, but I've read that there is a fair chance of pulling the traces off the board by doing it this way.

thanks for all the help guys. i've taken the temporary decision to sell my NTSC zelda twilight princess and buy a PAL one, rather than investing in a new gamecube. i have the wii so the second system was quite a luxury anyway. i wont throw my gamecube away but any repairs i do will have to be a hobby for a later date as it really isn't urgent. its actually tempted me to pull out my original xbox and to spend some time with some games i got hold of on there. a change is always fun!

Back