PS3 Yellow light of Death

I do own, or have owned the following modern consoles?

• PS3

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • XBOX 360

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Wii

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Pandora

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Dingoo

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Wiz

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • None of the above

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

MarioPandio

Damn PS3 died on us the other day and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this fix http://wheretobuyps3.com/index.php/2009/10/ps3-yellow-light-of-death-fix/ of reflowing the motherboard with heat guns?

Seemed to be the most detailed help site outthere on the process and wasn't trying to sell me a self help manual for life in the bargain :lol:

Its an older model sought out 2nd hand, mainly for the PS1 and PS2 abilities (ours was dying) and as a blu ray/dvd player and has frankly been good for that and little else, as the bugger just wants to download updates everytime you ever switch it on! Definitely my least favourite modern console, though I am no fanboy of any machine as they all have their perks, so no need to get defensive anyone :rolleyes: !

As its quiet on the boards whilst we await IKEA stress testers to demolish the Pandora nubs, i thought I'd add a poll to see what people own and if many people have had to replace units or fix them themselves from the big 3.

Feel free to add your personal favourite machines and what you've done with them i.e Homebrew etc and any bad experiences and dislikes etc :)

Or feel free to ignore it as I was just bored and I doubt it will tell us much, except there are manufacturing issues with everything in the era of manufactured obsolescence over excellence! :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't view your link at the moment, but what you're describing sounds similar to this.

Thats the issue indeed :angry:

After much searching, I found the best link on the matter I could, which details the potential fix DIY to re-flow the board.

I'm not that hackish normally but whilst Sony will replace the machine no doubt for the said fee, I would not receive the older model PS3. Hence no PS1/PS2 functions and thus just an overblown blu ray and annoying endless update bar is all that would return to me! :p

Hence I need to hear that some folk have done this and I will shell out for the gear and get melting ftw, or just a queue jump for rubber dinghy rapids if it goes wrong :D

You can still play most PS1 games, fully emulated, on later PS3s, though you do lose PS2 compatibility with the later revisions.

Poll needs N/A answers for the questions by the way. I've not had any console this gen break yet (but then I barely use them these days).

Cheers for your input Levi. Good to hear PS1 maybe intact and I guess cheap PS2 could fill the gap but its a real shame when retro consoles in my attic continue to be playable and fully functional when I dig them out, but this recent gen of machines are frankly rubbish in build quality in comparison.

Im on my 3rd or 4th 360 now and at least 7 joypads have died, or buttons have failed on them, whereas my Nes, Snes, Genesis, Nomad, PC engines, PC FX, Virtual boy, Saturn, Jag etc are still fine! Wtf? :blink:

I don't know if this helps you but if you do some web surfing there was a message board I had read where someone gave instructions (linked to by some article somewhere) on putting the PS3 mobo in the oven to re-flow the connections, while some were highly skeptical others with the YLOD posted they tried and it worked as well. At least this way it doesn't cost anything to try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back