Cvg Post News Of Pandora!

mechanizeddeath said:
i love reading the comment sections of these articles. :lol: there seem to be three possible comment responses:

"wow! looks amazing! i'm preordering!"
"this will fail."
"lulz wat iz dis ting? y not get psp?"
lol, it's so true...

jaycee900 said:
Agreed, the Wiz just looks like a cheap MP4 player from Hong Kong....well same area! near same crap controls as well lol
lmao

Last edited by a moderator:
Prometheus said:
ashdjones said:
x68000 said:
C&VG is a shadow of it's former self. First the mag goes, then the website has gone consistently downhill for the last 8-9 years to the point that most articles are little more than a joke now.
I used to read it as a kid, really liked the yellow-paper section in the middle, didn't it have retro game reviews in it? Ah good fun... I'd probably laugh if read it now though.

Gods, I used to read it way before that - before that they used to have a mini-magazine in the middle covering handheld consoles, too! :) Good times...

Yeah i had also the issues of GO! magazine too, used to love it for that suppliment alone! Always wanted a PC Engine GT for years, when I finally got one i was a little disapointed in it, small screen that had two dead pixels, and battery life was dreadful!

GO! was most of the reason why I bought CVG. :) (I had a Game Gear, myself.)

All this talk of C+VG.. I still have the annuals from 89-90- big fat A4s with plenty of retro classic reviews in there plus ads. One for the SUPER GRAFX, which I wanted pretty bad. Just as well I never saved up in time on that one ;)

Took them to school to look through and talk about many times :) One time it was a great mag- or is that just nostalgia talking?

I have an Annual for GamesMaster at home that I found in a charity shop - completely and utterly 100% naff! :D

I used to read such garbage though... anyone remember Mean Machines? I used to love the Official Nintendo Magazine even though it was clearly a piece of marketing fluff that they made you pay for. I remember the issue I bought with the first pictures of the N64 pad in it... everyone was baffled and excited at the same time! Apparently you could use it as a lightgun too, but this was speculation on their part.

Yeah, Mean machines wasn't too great. Neither was CVG at that time period, though Yob was quite funny to read. CVG was at it's best around '96, when Paul Davies took over and instituted freeplay(the aforementioned yellow supllement in the middle), and the out of five scoring system. Super Play was also great, with it's focus on J-RPG's, and the Official Sega Saturn magazine managed to be the only decent offical magazine ever made, with professional writing, and large interest in japanese imports.

Anyone remember Maximum? It didn't run for too long, but was a fantastic arcade orientated magazine in the late 90's.

I have to say I don't remember Maximum. It's just like Sega to have something brilliant on a practically dead format though - I remember Saturn magazine did crazy things like give away Christmas Nights and the first disk of Panzer Dragoon Saga. The early Dreamcast magazines that came out were so life-style centric is was puke-inducing, try and find a copy of Dreamcast Magazine issue 1 (or 0 or whatever the preview one was) and you'll see what I mean!

Remember Arcade? It was a bit blokeish like a gaming version of FHM at times, but I thought it was actually pretty good. The only magazine I bought after that was Edge, up until about 6 months ago when I got kind of tired of it (still read the good articles in Smiths though, like when I was a kid!).

ashdjones said:
I have to say I don't remember Maximum. It's just like Sega to have something brilliant on a practically dead format though - I remember Saturn magazine did crazy things like give away Christmas Nights and the first disk of Panzer Dragoon Saga. The early Dreamcast magazines that came out were so life-style centric is was puke-inducing, try and find a copy of Dreamcast Magazine issue 1 (or 0 or whatever the preview one was) and you'll see what I mean!

Remember Arcade? It was a bid blokeish like a gaming version of FHM at times, but I thought it was actually pretty good. The only magazine I bought after that was Edge, up until about 6 months ago when I got kind of tired of it (still read the good articles in Smiths though, like when I was a kid!).
I know exactly what you mean, I bought the first issue of the dreamcast magazine in the hopes it would be a follow on, but it was by a different company altogether, and was terrible. I do remember Arcade, it was quite good. I do the same as you with Edge, although not as often anymore, as Biffo no longer writes a column for them. I do pick up GamesTM every now and then, but it's not a patch on what was available in the mid ninties.

Yeah well I picked up Issue 1 of GamesTM but never particularly liked it, i've flicked through it occasionally over the years and it still doesn't appeal to me much. I might go back to buying Edge at some point, i'm just getting so fed of modern games releases (Especially after the hype and dissapointment of GTAIV) that i'm just not interested enough to follow it closely anymore.

Is Retrogamer anygood? I've never picked it up because it seemed a tad expensive (price of other mags have caught up now I notice). They seem to be getting some exclusive interviews with older developers now I see.

ashdjones said:
Yeah well I picked up Issue 1 of GamesTM but never particularly liked it, i've flicked through it occasionally over the years and it still doesn't appeal to me much. I might go back to buying Edge at some point, i'm just getting so fed of modern games releases (Especially after the hype and dissapointment of GTAIV) that i'm just not interested enough to follow it closely anymore.

Is Retrogamer anygood? I've never picked it up because it seemed a tad expensive (price of other mags have caught up now I notice). They seem to be getting some exclusive interviews with older developers now I see.
It certainly didn't start off well at all - it's never good when the guy writing it obviously doesn't know as much as you on the subject at hand, but I picked up a recent issue (the zelda cover, for the interview with the guy behind the fantastic Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis), and it seemed much improved.

As always, W H Smiths is the place to find out though. ^_^

ashdjones said:

I think its fantastic - its the one magazine to which I subscribe. Covers a wide variety of systems and lots of interviews, history of etc and the writing is generally good. Have every copy and yet to get bored by it.

My only comment is that they probably need to shift their view of what is retro and include ps1, saturn and game cube.

Its also how I found out about the gp32 via one of Craig's adverts.

In fact odd they haven't done an article on the pandora - they did cover the gp2x a while back and the sister publication Games did an article on pandora. Well - given all the new pubicity perhaps they had better wait till my pre-order is accepted. :p

ashdjones said:
I've just seen an article for this on the T3 website (T3 is a UK based gadget magazine).

I have the term 'Pandora Handheld' as a Google alert, so i'm sent loads of emails about blogs and stuff that have been written about it. Press coverage is definitely ramping up!

http://www.t3.com/news/pandora-opens-box-f...-console?=36598

Now that's a good idea, I think I may do the same. Will give a rough estimate of press coverage at least.

darkstorm said:
Yeah, Mean machines wasn't too great. Neither was CVG at that time period, though Yob was quite funny to read. CVG was at it's best around '96, when Paul Davies took over and instituted freeplay(the aforementioned yellow supllement in the middle), and the out of five scoring system. Super Play was also great, with it's focus on J-RPG's, and the Official Sega Saturn magazine managed to be the only decent offical magazine ever made, with professional writing, and large interest in japanese imports.

Anyone remember Maximum? It didn't run for too long, but was a fantastic arcade orientated magazine in the late 90's.
WHAT!!?? Mean Machines was a great magazine! Very funny to boot!
CVG was at its best 91-93, by 1996 it had gone down hill alot imo, I started buying C&VG around 1986 and stopped around 1996-7 because of the state it had become.
I used to go mad with my wages buying bloody magazines every week, had Issue 1's of mags like Maximum, Edge, GamesX, Megatech, Mean Machines/Sega, all Amiga Mags and loads of others that wont come to mind atm, it was great back then with all the handhelds, 8-bits and 16bits all 'alive' at the same time, imo its all boring now what with 2 handhelds and 3 consoles churning out the same rubbish.....come on Pandora I need you NOW!

jaycee900 said:
darkstorm said:

WHAT!!?? Mean Machines was a great magazine! Very funny to boot!
CVG was at its best 91-93, by 1996 it had gone down hill alot imo, I started buying C&VG around 1986 and stopped around 1996-7 because of the state it had become.
I used to go mad with my wages buying bloody magazines every week, had Issue 1's of mags like Maximum, Edge, GamesX, Megatech, Mean Machines/Sega, all Amiga Mags and loads of others that wont come to mind atm, it was great back then with all the handhelds, 8-bits and 16bits all 'alive' at the same time, imo its all boring now what with 2 handhelds and 3 consoles churning out the same rubbish.....come on Pandora I need you NOW!

Heh, I read all those mags too. I stand by what I said about mean machines. Their reviews were oft some way from my own opinion. I remeber when it branched into Mean Machine Sega, and the short lived Mean Machine Playstation. Regarding CVG, when you say it was going downhill, was that when it had a *yellow* supplement in the middle(same place as GO)? Beacuse I agree that shortly *before* that, in the same year, it was indeed terrible. But with Paul Davies, Ed Lomas et all, it quickly picked up, and then after the relaunch was fantastic. Once they left, it was changed yet again, became terrible, and died.

Retrogamer is an awesome magazine, it's the only one I'm still subscribed, which means a lot since I'm from Spain and it's quite expensive to get it here.

@darkstorm - Thanks for mentioning Super Play. :D That was and still is my favourite games magazine of all time. (And will probably always remain so - Retro Gamer aside, most games magazines nowadays seem to be a big hyping scam and have zero quality or integrity, and I have ceased purchasing them entirely. They make me wish I had an Adblock for magazine content - although that would probably leave me with only one or two pages for £5 a shot... :p)

You'd think with the rise of downloadable demos for consoles, magazine quality would go up...

Back