Crazy Idea - Collector's Edition Pandoras With Autographs?!

Prophet

God I'm old.
Website
Visit site
If the Pandora project goes as planned, and makes it to market, it really represents something remarkable and ground-breaking. It will literally make history, and redefine in several ways how videogame devices are created and marketed.

As such, I was thinking it would be pretty cool to offer maybe 1000 "collector's edition" Pandoras, to celebrate the beginning of something new and unique, with the autographs of Pandora's main team members on the bottom of the casing (so it doesn't look too messy). In gold or silver ink perhaps. Charge an extra $10 perhaps (to compensate for aching hands afterwards, heh).

Crazy idea? Interesting idea? What do you think?

Sounds cool actually. You'd have to protect the sigs though, they'd wear off pretty quick with use. Maybe a lacquer or clear film.

To make it a true collectors edition, it would probably also need a numbered plaque, or a chrome logo on the outer case, something like that. Or special engravings on the analog sticks. B) These things add cost of course, but history won't judge a collector's edition with much merit if it's just a bit of texta on the bottom (not that the sigs won't be uber cool in years to come, but I think it just needs that little extra touch).

Maybe a smaller number too, like 300.

no offense to the Pandora team, but im going to guess i fall in the 9.9992/10 demograph that doesnt give a flip about someones signature on my game system.

again dont be offended, I wouldnt even want my Pandora signed by John Carmack, Roberta Williams, or any other video game virtuosos. imagine the horrible nerd stigma associated with having your handheld game system signed by a computer programmer.

but then again, i play my GP2X on the bus, at work, and other public places...

a numbered limited edition may be cool. i aint paying extra money for it though. this may fly with 10 or so units, but 300-1000 is flattering the Pandora scene a little too much. i would be surprised if they sold 2000 units in the first year, let alone 300-1000 with a $10-20 pricejump for a signature or a number.

maybe offer something extra to the limited buyers, like a larger battery, or a different color frame.

Yeah... I do get you. There is a part of me that feels silly about the whole idea. And there's another part that just likes the sound of "collector's edition." :p

It can sound silly right now, but if you put yourself in the future looking back to now, the appeal of a signed/numbered edition is stronger. It's not like some b-grade celebrity autograph you'd sell on ebay, it's more like an artist signing their work.

impreziv said:
no offense to the Pandora team, but im going to guess i fall in the 9.9992/10 demograph that doesnt give a flip about someones signature on my game system.

again dont be offended, I wouldnt even want my Pandora signed by John Carmack, Roberta Williams, or any other video game virtuosos. imagine the horrible nerd stigma associated with having your handheld game system signed by a computer programmer.

but then again, i play my GP2X on the bus, at work, and other public places...

a numbered limited edition may be cool. i aint paying extra money for it though. this may fly with 10 or so units, but 300-1000 is flattering the Pandora scene a little too much. i would be surprised if they sold 2000 units in the first year, let alone 300-1000 with a $10-20 pricejump for a signature or a number.

maybe offer something extra to the limited buyers, like a larger battery, or a different color frame.
woo I'm 8 ten-thousandths

Last edited by a moderator:
icurafu said:
The GP32 was ground breaking in it's day. Imagine if you had one of those with signitures from the engineers.
TBH, right now, I'd probably be fairly meh about it... that I even had a GP32 is sufficient.

Also, as with almost any collector's edition, the rule seems to be if it ain't in mint condition, it looses much of it's value - and I can't afford to keep a Pandora in mint condition, on account of I fully intend to use mine! But if that were not the case, I'd be intrigued, I must admit...

trooper said:
Just like they did with the initial batch of original Amiga A1000`s.

Signed Amiga A1000 case

Trooper

I'm going to admit a very shameful secret...

I have... had... one of those. And it's gone now. I think maybe I still have a piece of it left someplace...?

Stupid stupid stupid... :(

impreziv said:
imagine the horrible nerd stigma associated with having your handheld game system signed by a computer programmer.

...psst. hey you... that's right, you. you're a nerd. i am too. anyone posting/reading these forums are. signatures or not, you're already out.

Fat Agnus said:
...psst. hey you... that's right, you. you're a nerd. i am too. anyone posting/reading these forums are. signatures or not, you're already out.
Oh man... and here I was just about to go play sports and have sex with women.

shmuck said:
Fat Agnus said:
Oh man... and here I was just about to go play sports and have sex with women.

It's OK - I go to the gym regularly and love women, and I'm still a pretty good nerd too.

You can have it all! :lol:

All A1000s have those signatures underneath. I have three that all do anyway, once they made the mould with the signatures they continued to do it for all of them.

Sounds cool to me. I'd shell out an extra $10, and be proud to be as nerdy as possible...

p

Back