Opt Should Sell Op To Someone With Enough Financial Leverage

tdp said:
craigix said:
milkshake said:
craigix said:
You have seen how our customer service is excellent
Yes we have also seen how you sometimes write unprofessional posts telling people you don't want their custom just because they are (understandably) finding the delays really hard to cope with.

I have my Pandora but even I'm still annoyed and worried about the repercussions of all these delays on the future developments of the Pandora and what that will mean for the device I have purchased.

Then if you're not happy sell it or return it, this isn't some communist project where your locked in forever.

When I tell some people to just go away, I'm just being entirely honest with them, this isn't a charity.

But have a real hardware/transaction/delivery/support problem? You will get fantastic service.

Edit: thinking about this, what do you consider 'professional' service? Sony style where they can just whip your console features away from you and tell you you don't really own your machine? Apple service where they can remotely disable or delete your applications and void your warranty for running software they don't like? The general computer industry service where you can't contact or speak to anyone higher than a telemarketer?

I think we should be told.

Craigix and openpandora has a very bright future. More and more the hardware you purchase is more of a rental. As Craigix rightly stated, company's can and do remove features, software and content as they feel. This is only going to get worst. I want hardware I control. Openpandora and Linux is the way forward. It's not just consoles and mobile phones that are been used by big corporations like this - imagine how Kindle owners felt when Amazon just removed the e-books from your machine. Ironically, one of the books was 1984!!!! :)

The PSP and PS3 are hopefully going to be the last closed source gaming hardware I'm going to buy. I will happily support truly opensource consoles, computers, os's and handhelds. No-one is monitoring or controlling how I play games, watch movies, listen music, etc.....

@craigix, I'm waiting for the full games console and mp3 player (just make sure the mp3 player is as small as a ipod classic with a 160gb + drive).
Big companies do all that stuff to increase profit. Honestly though out of the 3 major game console companies (3 only) I would say Sony gets my vote. They always seem to want to focus on their exclusive titles and are geared more for the retro and "hardcore" market (I will admit that Sony really needs to get their heads out of their asses and allow more than just the PSX as a store front for games as in what XBLA is doing). Microsoft is geared for the Halo Douche, and Nintendo is for kids who have never played Mario 3 and for Adults who think they are gamers :p . True Nintendo does have the Mario, Metroid, and Zelda people backing them up but I have talked to those people and usually they are un willing to stray away from Nintendo grasp on them and try something new like retro consoles (The Famicon does not count we all know of the Famicon give it a rest. FF1 + FF2 are complete crap). Still OP is way better for running emulators than on my PSP :)

Last edited by a moderator:
mali said:
mosschops said:
yer man Craig isnt daft, he has a product which people are still plonking down money for when people who have paid 2 years ago still havent had their units delivered. do you really think letting of steam at some idiots is going to make a difference?
It _does_ make a difference, cause they usually are no idiots but members of this community. Milkshake made valid points and I understand what he wanted to get across. Letting off steam at customers is never a good idea.

Yes it is.

You know Craig, you're the only thing that ever makes me want to cancel my order.

You attack people on the forums, and then pretend it wasn't a stupid thing to do.
You go off on crazy rants about how you're better than every company ever.
And you seem to be completely incapable of accepting that you might sometimes have made mistakes.

I'm sure you're doing everything you can to get the Pandora to us as quickly as possible.
I'm not going to criticise anything that OpenPandora are doing.
I just think you personally have a terrible attitude on the forums that really isn't helping anything.

That's my angry rant, and I'm sorry I felt I needed to say that.

People are still buying from the 2nd batch. This nubbed bump in the road will hopefully be less of an issue than the cases turned out to be. But we're in a holding pattern right now waiting to land the next 3000 Pandoras from batch 1. The hold is to increase overall productivity and to save capital that is tight at the moment and rightfully so. The increase in price for batch 2 was modest and speaking as someone who has a Pandora, I would pay $400 easily for a replacement.

Craig runs GBAX and is the figurehead of OPT to be stuck with sorting through all of our issue regarding Pandoras in the wild, repair/replacement, etc. When I read his posts here, I take them very lightly. When he has his GBAX/OPT hat on, he has a business to run. When he comes onto this forum, that hat gets left at the door, and he is free to be himself just like anyone not involved with the project is free to be themself. If I read something he has posted on the OPT Blog, then I take it more seriously because that business hat is on. If he chooses to mix his business hat with a bottle of vodka for the holiday season, good for him.

To think that I'm a part of batch 2 seems funny because we don't know how long it will take. But if I was waiting on a Pandora, I would keep holding on because its just gonna get better as more boards/cases/units are completed and that's why I was happy to "reinvest" in the company. I hope other people from batch one feel the same when their units arrive, outside financial leverage won't be needed once all 4000 are in the wild.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

I just dont like bullshit, if you try and put a positive spin on another delay it just smells of bullshit. I believe that is what gp32spain refers to as "the hype". The vast majority of us are happy to wait until the device is ready. But just say it isnt ready. Telling us half truths and making empty promises just upsets people. Last week it was 203 consoles to be sent out this week and now its 100 to be sent out next week as the latest example.

Since you are happy to vent at customers craig you should not complain when your customers vent at you. I am happy to stay in the queue but I like to vent every once in a while too. I have defended and promoted the project on other forums visited by thousands of people where I have been a 10 year member and in return I have been trolled and ridiculed by the "vapourware twats" over there and now I honestly have no answer for them when they ask: "so did you get your pandora yet?? lolololol" But I'll eat my humble pie for now because it will be worth it I hope when I finally have it.

I admire what you guys are trying to do, it takes a lot of balls and hard work. And you guys are right when you say things like "armchair experts" because many of us have no idea of all the little details involved with this massive undertaking yet we have the luxury of kicking back and saying stuff like "doin it wrong"

Be more straightforward with us is I guess what I am trying to say. If you dont know when things will get rolling again just say so, let those who dont like the latest update cancel and those that are happy to wait will stay and more orders will come in. But if you tell us two weeks and then two weeks comes and goes then people get pissed off and the cycle starts again.

mali said:
mosschops said:
yer man Craig isnt daft, he has a product which people are still plonking down money for when people who have paid 2 years ago still havent had their units delivered. do you really think letting of steam at some idiots is going to make a difference?
It _does_ make a difference, cause they usually are no idiots but members of this community. Milkshake made valid points and I understand what he wanted to get across. Letting off steam at customers is never a good idea.

I disagree a bit :)

but more seriously, customers that are spreading FUD are worst than not having them.

if Craig wants to speak his mind, its his right, that's what a forum is for.

there's tons of whiny little ******s on the forum (myself included) and he has to hear all that whining, complaints, people who don't know anything trying to tell him how to do thing, people spreading made up things as facts, etc.

why couldn't he say anything the way he wants to ?

he got 4000 individuals to caught up over 300$ for something that didn't exist (yet), you try it now.
(its a team effort, but still) I think he knows what he's doing :)

Grobi said:
OK, you proved to the world that Pandora is no scam. You proved that a bunch of very clever people with the right skilled combined to a small upstart company can do better than most other big companies trying to match the needs of retro-geeks. You also proved that matching retro needs also makes a very good mini-netbook with remarkable cpu+gpu power.

BUT: you also proved that inventing and designing is not the same as manufactoring many devices. And I don't think mass-building started with the first 1000, this was more of a proof-of-concept for the manufactoring process thats still about to start.

it took 2 years to invent and design the device, and now you're complaining at getting manufacturing underway taking what? barely over 3 months ?

s*** happens, and it did with the nubs, now they're fixing that.

OpenPandora is skipping the year of testing and building up stock for launch day the big device companies do so we can get the devices sooner, would you rather wait another year while they make sure everything's perfect and that they can ship everything all at once?

because if "Opt Sell Op To Someone With Enough Financial Leverage" that's what's going to happen, or the project will be dropped in favor of turning it into a cellphone or other gadget, add DRM, etc. in any case, if they do that you wont get it sooner, if ever.

Stephane Hockenhull said:
he got 4000 individuals to caught up over 300$ for something that didn't exist (yet), you try it now.
(its a team effort, but still) I think he knows what he's doing :)

It was accomplished with lies and/or idealistic dreams. You choose which!

craigix said:
I'm not 'deluded', I just think we can set up a successful console/computer manufacturing business as many other people have done many times before.

You are deluded because you believe that if a big company decided to take on OPT with a similar device you would smash them. Despie the fact that you cant even get a steady supply of units and you've had to resort to taking pre-orders for the second batch even before the first batch are complete.

You have seen how our customer service is excellent, how we work damned hard to fix problems

Sorry, no I haven't.

I emailed you guys to advise I needed to return my Pandora. I was given RMA instructions. I wrote to advise that I had sent the unit by special delivery and asked if Jacquelin would be kind enough to confim receipt, as I was anxious to get the unit back before going away if at all possible. Jacquelin replied and assured me that she would let me know. It should have arrived the following day but I received no confirmation email. I waited until Monday and still no response so I sent another email to ask if it had arrived. I got an apology and confirmation that it did arrive on Friday.

I asked Jacquelin to keep me updated as to when they expected the unit to be returned. I emailed back a few days later and asked if there was any update and received a response that it was going to be dispatched on Friday. It didn't arrive on Saturday so I sent an email to ask for confirmation that it had been sent. On Monday I got a response saying that no it hadn't and a new one was being sent that day VIA UPS.

It did arrive the following day, but the broken unit had been sent in its carry case for protection in transit. The carry case had not been returned. Another email to Jacquelin and I got yet another apology and an offer of sending a new one or getting a refund. I opted for a refund.

To date, nearly a month later, I have not received the refund. I will be emailing today to check on what is happening. I am also going to cancel the TV out cable which you have filed to deliver - Luckily somebody else has offered to make one up for me (and a much better solution that the 10ft monstrosity you guys have designed)

So no, that is NOT what I call good customer service. It's average at best. I worked in customer services for a long time. Failure to keep the customer updated is one of the most common failings, especially when promises have been made to the customer.

As for working hard to fix problems... The case on my new unit has a much poorer finish that the first one -smudged ad scratched it looks almost as bad as the non-painted units previously shown, the screen hinge is much looser, the screen bevel issue is still apparent (though not as bad, granted) and the analogue nubs feel gritty (the nubs on the first unit were fine). So really, I don't see any of the problems being fixed between unit 70 and whatever this one is.

I hope you've sorted out your smoking policy too.

Re: Opt Should Sell Op To Someone With Enough Financial Leverage

what a crap. Never heard a worse idea. Now leaving for a 2 week holiday by the lake with kids and wife. We should have a great time! And maybe when I retur, there will be a pandora for me? I never know.

Pleng said:
craigix said:
I'm not 'deluded', I just think we can set up a successful console/computer manufacturing business as many other people have done many times before.

You are deluded because you believe that if a big company decided to take on OPT with a similar device you would smash them. Despie the fact that you cant even get a steady supply of units and you've had to resort to taking pre-orders for the second batch even before the first batch are complete.

You have seen how our customer service is excellent, how we work damned hard to fix problems

Sorry, no I haven't.

I emailed you guys to advise I needed to return my Pandora. I was given RMA instructions. I wrote to advise that I had sent the unit by special delivery and asked if Jacquelin would be kind enough to confim receipt, as I was anxious to get the unit back before going away if at all possible. Jacquelin replied and assured me that she would let me know. It should have arrived the following day but I received no confirmation email. I waited until Monday and still no response so I sent another email to ask if it had arrived. I got an apology and confirmation that it did arrive on Friday.

I asked Jacquelin to keep me updated as to when they expected the unit to be returned. I emailed back a few days later and asked if there was any update and received a response that it was going to be dispatched on Friday. It didn't arrive on Saturday so I sent an email to ask for confirmation that it had been sent. On Monday I got a response saying that no it hadn't and a new one was being sent that day VIA UPS.

It did arrive the following day, but the broken unit had been sent in its carry case for protection in transit. The carry case had not been returned. Another email to Jacquelin and I got yet another apology and an offer of sending a new one or getting a refund. I opted for a refund.

To date, nearly a month later, I have not received the refund. I will be emailing today to check on what is happening. I am also going to cancel the TV out cable which you have filed to deliver - Luckily somebody else has offered to make one up for me (and a much better solution that the 10ft monstrosity you guys have designed)

So no, that is NOT what I call good customer service. It's average at best. I worked in customer services for a long time. Failure to keep the customer updated is one of the most common failings, especially when promises have been made to the customer.

As for working hard to fix problems... The case on my new unit has a much poorer finish that the first one -smudged ad scratched it looks almost as bad as the non-painted units previously shown, the screen hinge is much looser, the screen bevel issue is still apparent (though not as bad, granted) and the analogue nubs feel gritty (the nubs on the first unit were fine). So really, I don't see any of the problems being fixed between unit 70 and whatever this one is.

I hope you've sorted out your smoking policy too.

You're being quite a DB here. YOU were going on vacation, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE BUBBLE WRAP OR RECYCLE PACKAGING? Just had to make peoples lives difficult and send your nifty little case. Well what do you expect that it might not make it back to you? You created a deadline for a novelty item to take on a holiday. Yes you waited for it for 600+ days perhaps, it was defective, but don't make this out to be some issue that wasn't your freaking fault regarding not packaging the unit in bubble wrap or some other packaging you could have substituted at no cost to anyones "value" of customer service. Then asking for an update along every step of the way etc etc.

I was happy with my Customer Service experience of changing my address 4 times and combining 2 orders together. I've also been happy with my reordering for Batch 2.

Some people are gonna complain no matter how much their hands are held or how big their training wheels are and that is a very valuable lesson to learn in business.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

I have to say, my experience of the customer service has been very good, too. I even got an unexpected update from Jacquelyn at around midnight, on the day when my returned Pandora had turned up late, to let me know that it had arrived after all, and a few days ago when I received another update, it was at around 3:30am.

I can't speak for anyone else's experiences, of course, but in my book that is going above and beyond.

Mjlink said:
You're being quite a DB here. YOU were going on vacation, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE BUBBLE WRAP OR RECYCLE PACKAGING? Just had to make peoples lives difficult and send your nifty little case.

I used the case in addition to the recycle packaging to provide added protection.

Well what do you expect that it might not make it back to you?

No. I expected it to make it back to me

You created a deadline for a novelty item to take on a holiday.

I didn't create a deadline. I simply asked for updates, which were promised and not met. Making promises is one type of setting the customer's expectation. Not fulfilling them is the easiest way to loose points with your customers. Some times I was even promised updates without asking which failed to materialize.

The only 'deadline' which was set was from Jacquelin, who said the Pandora would ship on Friday. I don't think it's unreasonable of me to have at least expected a "sorry it didn't ship" communication. Who's to know if the replacement would have shipped on Monday or not had I not chased it up myself.

I have already been on 3 trips since ordering my Pandora and had to do without it. I was pretty stoked that my first Pandora arrived before this trip. Pretty irritated by the fact it broke within a few weeks and, yes, I was anxious for it to return to me before I went away. Luckily it did, and with a week or so to spare. But that is not the point.

I was happy with my Customer Service experience of changing my address 4 times and combining 2 orders together. I've also been happy with my reordering for Batch 2.

I'm glad for you. And I'm well aware that most people have had good customer service experiences, so I am probably the exception. But Craig made a statement saying that I knew what great service OPT gave, implying that I personally had had first hand experience of this. Well, no, I had a lot of unkept promises and total lack of communication. So I do not have a personal experience of customer service.

Had Craig not responded directly and publicly to me on this point I would have never bothered to mention it. As I said, I would have rated the customer experience as average or mildly poor. Telling a story of average
levels of service is pretty dull and unimpressive, but when somebody is claiming that I know that their CS is great (in response to whatever the hell he was responding to - it's so OT I forget now) when for me it clearly wasn't, I felt compelled to respond with my reasons as to why the service was NOT excellent.

Pleng said:
Mjlink said:
You're being quite a DB here. YOU were going on vacation, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE BUBBLE WRAP OR RECYCLE PACKAGING? Just had to make peoples lives difficult and send your nifty little case.

I used the case in addition to the recycle packaging to provide added protection.

Well what do you expect that it might not make it back to you?

No. I expected it to make it back to me

You created a deadline for a novelty item to take on a holiday.

I didn't create a deadline. I simply asked for updates, which were promised and not met. Making promises is one type of setting the customer's expectation. Not fulfilling them is the easiest way to loose points with your customers. Some times I was even promised updates without asking which failed to materialize.

The only 'deadline' which was set was from Jacquelin, who said the Pandora would ship on Friday. I don't think it's unreasonable of me to have at least expected a "sorry it didn't ship" communication. Who's to know if the replacement would have shipped on Monday or not had I not chased it up myself.

I have already been on 3 trips since ordering my Pandora and had to do without it. I was pretty stoked that my first Pandora arrived before this trip. Pretty irritated by the fact it broke within a few weeks and, yes, I was anxious for it to return to me before I went away. Luckily it did, and with a week or so to spare. But that is not the point.

I'm glad for you. And I'm well aware that most people have had good customer service experiences, so I am probably the exception. But Craig made a statement saying that I knew what great service OPT gave, implying that I personally had had first hand experience of this. Well, no, I had a lot of unkept promises and total lack of communication. So I do not have a personal experience of customer service.

Had Craig not responded directly and publicly to me on this point I would have never bothered to mention it. As I said, I would have rated the customer experience as average or mildly poor. Telling a story of average
levels of service is pretty dull and unimpressive, but when somebody is claiming that I know that their CS is great (in response to whatever the hell he was responding to - it's so OT I forget now) when for me it clearly wasn't, I felt compelled to respond with my reasons as to why the service was NOT excellent.

I like this guy he makes valid points and makes anyone who tries to argue with him look like a dumbass. No offense though. :D

I think this is a daft idea.
People watch dragons den on TV and think they understand how things work. It is a TV show, not the real world. OPT is small compared to giants like SONY. Well wake up, that is just the way it is, you have to deal with it, you can't just wish it away. Selling the company will not help, it will almost certainly destroy the Pandora project completely. There are numerous ways for someone to buy up the company and profit from it, but generally this does not involve the Pandora's survival. OPT are in it for the long term, their personal reputations, careers and their money is deeply invested in the success of the Pandora. These are the people I want running the show. The sheer determination and dedication of OPT is the ONLY reason the Pandora exists. It is a MIRACLE that they have got this far, i mean there are hundreds of REAL UNITS in the hands of generally happy customers. Do you understand how hard that is? and you want to sack/demote the people that achieved this and bring in some bozos who know nothing about the device or the community?

Also Craig is getting a lot of stick for his 'fuck off' style of customer relations. Perhaps I'm in the minority but it doesn't bother me at all. Before jumping on board I spent a lot of time going through this forum, strangely I think Craig's abrasive attitude was a positive in the decision, not a negative. His posts combined with 'fluffy bunny' ED made me believe that these were real people, individuals who believe in what they are doing and are not out to fleece people. Perfect? maybe not, but I trust them. I knew the risk, I knew where I stood. I knew that craig dates are what he believes but are speculative at best. Knowing the score is what I cared about. I have no interest in being Craig's best friend, or having my ego pampered. I have had decades of dealing with obsequious scumbags, give me a Craig any day of the week.

Aninhumer said:
You know Craig, you're the only thing that ever makes me want to cancel my order.

You attack people on the forums, and then pretend it wasn't a stupid thing to do.
You go off on crazy rants about how you're better than every company ever.
And you seem to be completely incapable of accepting that you might sometimes have made mistakes.

I'm sure you're doing everything you can to get the Pandora to us as quickly as possible.
I'm not going to criticise anything that OpenPandora are doing.
I just think you personally have a terrible attitude on the forums that really isn't helping anything.

That's my angry rant, and I'm sorry I felt I needed to say that.
I have to completely agree with this one. +1

craigix said:
mali said:
mosschops said:

Yes it is.

There we go again...You just proved my point! what is you problem Craig? if the whole thing is getting to you take a break like EvilDragon instead of reacting like this.

What makes me more annoyed is the fact that there are plenty of people in this topic that feel that's its OK for Craig to act this way? were you guys never brought up with manners or what? if you want to bash someone go ahead but Craigs position in all this is somewhat different.
Know your place!!

lol I know but sometimes the stuff that shows up in here is complete bonkers I feel like hitting my head against a wall or summat.

milkshake said:
What makes me more annoyed is the fact that there are plenty of people in this topic that feel that's its OK for Craig to act this way? were you guys never brought up with manners or what? if you want to bash someone go ahead but Craigs position in all this is somewhat different.
Know your place!!
Agreed. (Apart from "Know your place", sounds a bit classist to me... :p )

There are plenty of people on this forum who manage to act civilly, including all the other members of OPT.
Why shouldn't we expect Craig to manage the same?

Back