Opt Should Sell Op To Someone With Enough Financial Leverage

torpor said:
There may be newer, faster machines out there for your pocket-lovin', but none of them have a FREAKING COMPILER ONBOARD.

*THAT* is the difference here, people. Good luck trying to use your iPhone to build iPhone apps, or your Android phone to build Android apps .. but, oh, by the way .. that 'slightly outdated computer' you're complaining about: WILL BE USEFUL FOR DECADES BEYOND ..

I'd rather have an outdated OPEN handheld computer than a bleeding edge LOCKED phone.
Stop moaning have abit of patience i am on batch 2 can you see me moaning you will all get a pandora sooner or later and when you do you will look back and think the way you acted give them a chance its a new project and a complicated one.All i can say for now is hang tight and less moaning cause it wont get you down the que and stop starting negative post and threads and f...... start supporting the pandora not against it.

Last edited by a moderator:
mali said:
:blink:

Yeah torpor, take that :p
Damn, I've misplaced that damn disintegrator..
Sorry torper that was not aimed at you clicked on quote reply sorry it was meant at all the negative posters

Aninhumer said:
milkshake said:
What makes me more annoyed is the fact that there are plenty of people in this topic that feel that's its OK for Craig to act this way? were you guys never brought up with manners or what? if you want to bash someone go ahead but Craigs position in all this is somewhat different.
Know your place!!
Agreed. (Apart from "Know your place", sounds a bit classist to me... :p )

There are plenty of people on this forum who manage to act civilly, including all the other members of OPT.
Why shouldn't we expect Craig to manage the same?

i say this with a straight face.
If you or anyone has a problem with the behaviour of any user of this board report them and the post to the moderators.
Remember this is the community board, if the community lets one person off with unnaceptable behaviour then it is a sign to all that it is acceptable and we as the community then cannot rightfully complain when everyone does the same.

mosschops said:
i aint comparing Craig with the Ginger Master but do you really think people wouldnt have bought the ZX81 if they new what Sir Clive was really like?

It might have affected my purchasing decision (I bought one in the first few months) if Clive had sent a letter or rung me up and called me a C**t.
:D

Bearing in mind the thread title though, Sinclair did succumb to overreach and hubris and sold out to Amstrad ;)

::Yawn:: This thread is pointless. Unless the original poster is an expert financial advisor AND knows someone interested in purchasing Open Pandora LTD, this thread was a complete waste of the internets. The few business owners that I know have all impressed one thing upon me that will even remotely ensure the success of their venture: dedication. So far I have seen the Pandora Team giving the project just that. Those of us who paid our pre-order bucks took a chance on the project for better or for worse. Consider this: when you invest money in stocks that tank or purchase a device from Walmart that doesn't satisfy you is there an internet forum that you can whine to? Likely not. There may be people you can bitch to you but how much are they REALLY going to care? Hell maybe I'm wrong? What if you were to purchase a product from Apple and then realized it made you miserable for any number of easily attainable reasons, do you think Steve Jobs is going to beg on his hands and knees for you to be happy? No, he'll thank you for giving him your money and probably tell you to get bent. Why is this any different? Because OP is a small company? Most businesses in the US take 5-7 years to even turn a profit. I'm not sure but I would guess it might be similar in other parts of the world. The OP team communicates with the community. Maybe not as much as YOU would like. But thats their prerogative. If you like the project and invested in an order, great! Continue your life like before until your product arrives. If you don't, get a refund and piss off. Find something that makes you happy. Dragging others down to your misery level probably won't satisfy you inside. And it doesn't help the community either.

mosschops said:
If you or anyone has a problem with the behaviour of any user of this board report them and the post to the moderators.
Remember this is the community board, if the community lets one person off with unnaceptable behaviour then it is a sign to all that it is acceptable and we as the community then cannot rightfully complain when everyone does the same.

That's fine if your just another member of the community but Craig uses the forum for business purposes in essence and as such should have that little bit more respect than say you or me, not that I don't think about my posts first unlike Craig.

mosschops said:
That's a good point, and I'll remember that in future.
I'm not certain OPT members will ever be treated the same as regular members.
But you're right. I've got no right to complain if I don't either.

That said, despite my rant earlier, I've seen a lot of good natured posts from Craig recently, and I hope I won't need to report him. :)

I just wish he'd apologise when he does "vent", instead of defending it.

When I read this topic, I get the following picture in my head:

It's the early 20th century England. Everyone and their grandmother is poor and looking for labor.

Craig Rothwell is sitting in his office on the roof of his successful skillet factory, and stares out of his sooty office window at the city below. Rain is falling, endlessly beating against the old tin roof, pouring down the outside of the thin stained glass sheet and slowly making its way down to the dirty street below. It is with a heavy sigh that he finally turns away, briefly glancing at a month-old stock chart pinned to the wall, before finally sitting down at his desk again.

It isn't the line on the chart that is bothering him; things had been going well recently. More and more households had finally gotten electrical stoves, and stainless steel skillets were sought after like never before. No, the issue he had was with the factory itself.

Until recently, it had been easy finding workers for the factory. Unemployment rates had been skyrocketing, and every day he had seen hundreds of workers queuing outside of the factory grounds, each one of them desperately looking for something that only Craig had to offer, since every other job opportunity in the area was taken, had salaries below what was humanly reasonable, or required too high qualifications for "common laborers" to be able to apply. This had made Craig confident; he knew that he was the only still reasonable employer around, so for each worker he fired, he'd just be able to grab another one off the street and within days he'd have a working factory again. So he had thought, why should I have any obligations to these people I can replace so easily? If they complain about their salaries, or about the way they were treated in the factory, I should just throw them out; we don't want those kinds of people around.

That's how he had been thinking, and his approach had been working for almost 3 years now. During this time, other factories had been popping up in the surroundings; factories that had labor unions and good salaries, and that offered laborer protection and insurance. Craig still had the highest salaries around, however, so people were still drawn to his factory, but after a few issues with accidents - some workers had came out of the factory one day with only one hand, and some had evolved strange speech deficiencies; they would just stop talking every dozen of minutes, and all the time there was Craig, helping most of the injured, but always being verbally abusive towards them or disrespectful - They were only laborers after all! - the workers started glancing at the other factories in the vicinity.

This had continued to escalate up until about a month ago, when a labor union had been founded for the workers in Craig's factory. There was reason to complain: some workers hadn't gotten their pay for a very long time, and they were growing tired of waiting for it. That's where everything started to go downhill.

Craig claimed that his customers hadn't been paying, and that he was unable to pay the salaries because of that. Most workers believed him - he had been paying salaries for years, after all! - but some were starting to doubt him, and suddenly people started leaving the factory on their own. Interest in the factory soon diminished completely, as the other factories nearby offered better working conditions and started employing more and more workers.

Now, when Craig was staring out of his window, he only saw an empty street below. The water from the rain had pooled into a little lake in the middle of the street - the caretakers of the factory had left a week ago, and nobody had bothered to unclog the cesspool outside of the factory entrance. He once again turned away from the window, not wanting to see the decay evolving before his eyes. He had hopes that he'd at least be able to keep the people currently working in the factory interested - or else he would be facing certain doom.

Pleng said:
I used the case in addition to the recycle packaging to provide added protection.

No. I expected it to make it back to me

I didn't create a deadline. I simply asked for updates, which were promised and not met. Making promises is one type of setting the customer's expectation. Not fulfilling them is the easiest way to loose points with your customers. Some times I was even promised updates without asking which failed to materialize.

The only 'deadline' which was set was from Jacquelin, who said the Pandora would ship on Friday. I don't think it's unreasonable of me to have at least expected a "sorry it didn't ship" communication. Who's to know if the replacement would have shipped on Monday or not had I not chased it up myself.

I have already been on 3 trips since ordering my Pandora and had to do without it. I was pretty stoked that my first Pandora arrived before this trip. Pretty irritated by the fact it broke within a few weeks and, yes, I was anxious for it to return to me before I went away. Luckily it did, and with a week or so to spare. But that is not the point.

I'm glad for you. And I'm well aware that most people have had good customer service experiences, so I am probably the exception. But Craig made a statement saying that I knew what great service OPT gave, implying that I personally had had first hand experience of this. Well, no, I had a lot of unkept promises and total lack of communication. So I do not have a personal experience of customer service.

Had Craig not responded directly and publicly to me on this point I would have never bothered to mention it. As I said, I would have rated the customer experience as average or mildly poor. Telling a story of average
levels of service is pretty dull and unimpressive, but when somebody is claiming that I know that their CS is great (in response to whatever the hell he was responding to - it's so OT I forget now) when for me it clearly wasn't, I felt compelled to respond with my reasons as to why the service was NOT excellent.
What I'm saying is that you created a situation that was set for failure by mailing your case. You could have used other forms of reused packaging, packing peanuts, bubblewrap, paper, cardboard, or all of them if you were that concerned. But throwing your case in the mix was dumb and uncalled for.

Total lack of communication? You got your replacement Pandora. They apologized for not keeping you updated. Now you are waiting on the refund for your dumbass mistake of mailing your case.

The TV out cables concern me too, but I don't think 10 feet is too long of a cable, nor am I so upset that I want a refund for it. The fact of the matter is that OPT is going to mail these out eventually and they are taking a hit on shipping them separately.

You also criticize them for taking orders for batch 2 while batch 1 isn't finished. OPT is taking a loss on batch one, so WHERE is the $ supposed to come from to order parts for batch 2? In your years of customer service, answer me that.

When dealing with an RMA, only ever mail back the defective part unless told otherwise. You never know what you might get in return.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

dflemstr said:

It's the early 20th century England. Everyone and their grandmother is poor and looking for labor.

Craig Rothwell is sitting in his office on the roof of his successful skillet factory, and stares out of his sooty office window at the city below. Rain is falling, endlessly beating against the old tin roof, pouring down the outside of the thin stained glass sheet and slowly making its way down to the dirty street below. It is with a heavy sigh that he finally turns away, briefly glancing at a month-old stock chart pinned to the wall, before finally sitting down at his desk again.

It isn't the line on the chart that is bothering him; things had been going well recently. More and more households had finally gotten electrical stoves, and stainless steel skillets were sought after like never before. No, the issue he had was with the factory itself.

Until recently, it had been easy finding workers for the factory. Unemployment rates had been skyrocketing, and every day he had seen hundreds of workers queuing outside of the factory grounds, each one of them desperately looking for something that only Craig had to offer, since every other job opportunity in the area was taken, had salaries below what was humanly reasonable, or required too high qualifications for "common laborers" to be able to apply. This had made Craig confident; he knew that he was the only still reasonable employer around, so for each worker he fired, he'd just be able to grab another one off the street and within days he'd have a working factory again. So he had thought, why should I have any obligations to these people I can replace so easily? If they complain about their salaries, or about the way they were treated in the factory, I should just throw them out; we don't want those kinds of people around.

That's how he had been thinking, and his approach had been working for almost 3 years now. During this time, other factories had been popping up in the surroundings; factories that had labor unions and good salaries, and that offered laborer protection and insurance. Craig still had the highest salaries around, however, so people were still drawn to his factory, but after a few issues with accidents - some workers had came out of the factory one day with only one hand, and some had evolved strange speech deficiencies; they would just stop talking every dozen of minutes, and all the time there was Craig, helping most of the injured, but always being verbally abusive towards them or disrespectful - They were only laborers after all! - the workers started glancing at the other factories in the vicinity.

This had continued to escalate up until about a month ago, when a labor union had been founded for the workers in Craig's factory. There was reason to complain: some workers hadn't gotten their pay for a very long time, and they were growing tired of waiting for it. That's where everything started to go downhill.

Craig claimed that his customers hadn't been paying, and that he was unable to pay the salaries because of that. Most workers believed him - he had been paying salaries for years, after all! - but some were starting to doubt him, and suddenly people started leaving the factory on their own. Interest in the factory soon diminished completely, as the other factories nearby offered better working conditions and started employing more and more workers.

Now, when Craig was staring out of his window, he only saw an empty street below. The water from the rain had pooled into a little lake in the middle of the street - the caretakers of the factory had left a week ago, and nobody had bothered to unclog the cesspool outside of the factory entrance. He once again turned away from the window, not wanting to see the decay evolving before his eyes. He had hopes that he'd at least be able to keep the people currently working in the factory interested - or else he would be facing certain doom.

Your home address please. I'm sending you an internets.

clap.gif

dflemstr said:

Wow. That was very well written out. Quite possibly the last thing i would've expected to come across on these boards, too.

dflemstr said:

He had hopes that he'd at least be able to keep the people currently working in the factory interested - or else he would be facing certain doom.

Maybe the answer's cheap Chinese labour... Oh. :rolleyes:

I'll just point out that I've had nothing but exceptional customer service from GBAx.

dflemstr said:

If writing like that comes easy to you, then please start developing text adventures :)

Caine said:
dflemstr said:

If writing like that comes easy to you, then please start developing text adventures :)

Specifically, this story as a text adventure.

dflemstr said:

wow!! truly amazing, as well as being a skilful programmer we have super star novelist and to say he's from Sweden that just makes it all the more impressive as English surly isn't the first language of Sweden.

Back