Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exophase said:
You guys assuming that KeyBoard Cowboy is Epicenter do realize that Epicenter was pushing the MMSP2+ like crazy as the SoC for the XGP...

Personally I don't really like Magic Eyes either, but I've been told that they're basically the only realistic choice. I'll leave it to craig to explain why, unless he gives me the go-ahead to repeat what he told me.

What I'd love to see is a handheld with an ARM A8 Cortex (at a decent clockspeed, say 800MHz or higher). That'd be very nice.
I know for fact how limited a small company can be when it comes to choosing from these new and powerful processors. In fact it seems to be the same with Wifi/Bluetooth modules as well and hopefully Craig (and team) have found good low volume sources for these parts without that ridiculous third-party mark up that seems to be the only option.

My first and current favorite choice for a processor is the OMAP3430 with the A8 Cortex core, but according to my TI Sales Rep, if I want to make a design with that chip, I need to commit to buying 20,000 pieces per MONTH!!! A chip like this is going to cost $30 each in high volume, at least (especially with memory stacking options) and I don't know about any of you, but I don't have $600k lying around each month for processors! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
gp3x1dz5.png

</shitty idea>

who can 1 up me?

Hmmm, a lot of these concept drawings seem to be more like PSP improvements instead of a brand-new handheld.

TelcoLou said:
Hmmm, a lot of these concept drawings seem to be more like PSP improvements instead of a brand-new handheld.
Surely there are only so many general designs for a handheld?

Goobers said:
TelcoLou said:

I was referring more to the fixation with the analog joysticks ;)

I was hoping for an official response on chipset selection for this machine, however, that might be off the table at this point in time. I would however greatly appreciate someone pointing me in the direction of an official comment stating the MMSP2+ has been finalized as an aspect of the design.

While the MMSP2+ provides much needed improvements over the MMSP2, I do have concerns. The MMSP2 had "2D Acceleration", however due to DMA, bus contention and memory management issues within the chip itself, it performed no better than/sometimes worse than software blitting. The exact same would be true if the MMSP2+ has the same design flaws, rendering any 2D/3D acceleration hardware fully useless.

That the secondary processor included in the MMSP2+ again has no MMU will make it impractical for most developers to bother using it at all. I suspect it will be the same case as with the MMSP2- a small handful of developers will make effective use of it, but it will only be practical for a few specific tasks, when a secondary CPU implementation that did NOT break ARM's reference standard would have been useful for nearly any task.

The MMSP2's 130nm process will mean high power consumption and dramatically reduced battery life over its counterparts, a lack of any hardware FPU will be limiting in 3D applications (despite the inclusion of a 3D accelerator), and MagicEyes' documentation shortcomings will make it very difficult to unlock this chipset's potential.

By comparison, more powerful chipsets from other companies (e.g. Texas Instruments, Samsung, Freescale) are more powerful, extremely well-documented and well-supported, consume less power, and are still fully compatible with a Linux OS and therefore existing software.

I'm sure the MMSP2+ is the cheaper option, but I would strongly urge the designers of this machine to make the more rational choice.

TelcoLou said:
Goobers said:
TelcoLou said:

I was referring more to the fixation with the analog joysticks ;)

Thing is, i think that an analog (on the right at least) would be a good idea, firstly it would allow a good port of Quake 3 (which could be used to show off the console), and secondly, it would mean that more 3d games could be created which take advantage of it.

I understand that some people only want to use it for 2d emulation, but I say this- why not just use the GP2X? Yes, the touchscreen could be used to some extent to provide emulation of an analog stick, but I don't think that's a terribly great solution.

I realise that I'm not the designer, and I don't want to come across as moaning, in fact i'm all for this new console, but I don't understand what exactly people have against the idea of an analog on the right hand side? It's not as if they'd *have* to use it...

EDIT: I totally agree that the left hand side should have a good D-Pad and not an analog though :)

KeyboardCowboy said:
That the secondary processor included in the MMSP2+ again has no MMU will make it impractical for most developers to bother using it at all.
Oh, it's definitely Epicenter :lol:

To stay on topic, I'm not really bothered wether it has an analog stick or not. Two is useless. The best controls for FPSes etc is the ol' WSAD/mouse combo, and WSAD is equivalent to a D-pad for movement. For driving games, you could just use the right-hand analog stick for movement, then the left shoulder button and d-pad for accel./brake/nitro etc. Geometry Wars/Vektar type games, the same deal as FPSes.

its fascinating what bullshit you write, i wont waste my time stating them as you surely already know them as the troll you are.

Well clearly, alternate Dpad options need to be explored. I had a go myself, though I may need to talk you through it.

There are actually 2 parts, each going in 2 directions. I don't think it'd be hard to hit diagonals on it, and while it is a cheeky nod to the nintendo dpad, not so much that they could sue for use of it...

dpaduz4.png

KeyboardCowboy said:
I was hoping for an official response on chipset selection for this machine, however, that might be off the table at this point in time. I would however greatly appreciate someone pointing me in the direction of an official comment stating the MMSP2+ has been finalized as an aspect of the design.

While the MMSP2+ provides much needed improvements over the MMSP2, I do have concerns. The MMSP2 had "2D Acceleration", however due to DMA, bus contention and memory management issues within the chip itself, it performed no better than/sometimes worse than software blitting. The exact same would be true if the MMSP2+ has the same design flaws, rendering any 2D/3D acceleration hardware fully useless.

That the secondary processor included in the MMSP2+ again has no MMU will make it impractical for most developers to bother using it at all. I suspect it will be the same case as with the MMSP2- a small handful of developers will make effective use of it, but it will only be practical for a few specific tasks, when a secondary CPU implementation that did NOT break ARM's reference standard would have been useful for nearly any task.

The MMSP2's 130nm process will mean high power consumption and dramatically reduced battery life over its counterparts, a lack of any hardware FPU will be limiting in 3D applications (despite the inclusion of a 3D accelerator), and MagicEyes' documentation shortcomings will make it very difficult to unlock this chipset's potential.

By comparison, more powerful chipsets from other companies (e.g. Texas Instruments, Samsung, Freescale) are more powerful, extremely well-documented and well-supported, consume less power, and are still fully compatible with a Linux OS and therefore existing software.

I'm sure the MMSP2+ is the cheaper option, but I would strongly urge the designers of this machine to make the more rational choice.
It's already too far along, the planning that is. The chipset is already chosen.

Orkie said:
DaveC said:
What are these great 3D games that you must have that is worth ruining everything else? Quake? an few FPS games?
How would having an analogue input as well as a digital one ruin anything? It'd only ruin it's purity in your eyes.

I dont think he can grasp this one point dont waste your time on him Orkie..

KeyboardCowboy for Guru!! :ph34r:

@Nova, that's a great designl! Very punk-rock :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back