Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metal-Geo said:
How about the controls (buttons and direction thingy, whatever) on the keyboard? Would mean we'd have a much bigger screen.

Although, that might be uncomfortable after a long time of gaming.
Just two things:

I believe it was mfk who already said the screen is 4.3 inches. So we know that much.
Also, I think priority should definitely be given to comfortable gaming controls, and putting them on the slideout keyboard would probably mean too thin a grip to be comfortable.

Though it's good to see the different designs out there for inspiration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be detachable but firmly attached to the handheld (once plugged I mean :) )
A light-cradle(with hardware options)-keyboard that can be taken in both hands if wanted!?

virusx said:
Dzz said:
Having the screen slide up instead of having the keyboard slide out does give the device a sturdy feel.
This Sony looks good!
IThe problem is that most well designed keyboard (like the Sony one), are useless if you can't lay the handheld on a surface (or one of your hand, or your knees).

Actually that's not true. The Sony keyboard is a "thumb" keyboard (like a blackberry). In that design it is quite comfortable to use in your hands. It is not that great in terms of words-per-minute throughput though!

One drawback of that style keyboard is that even if the SHIFT key (and other modifier keys) are placed well, it is still awkward to use them. It might be interesting to let the "trigger" (L/R or all four if the machine has four) keys double as extra ways to invoke the meta keys (like L1 = shift, L2 = ctrl, L3 = delete/backspace, or whatever). As long as the gaming buttons are on the machine anyway, if they can be used to enhance the keyboard use it seems reasonable to try.

I have a VGN-UX280P. The keyboard isn't usefull at all. It's hard to type on that. Because keys are sinked in the surface. It feels very uncomfortable to me. This is the same for most of the devices with sliding screen or keyboard.

Regarding to backlit keys... It's cool but that would effect battery life. <_<

We won't sacrifice the ergonomics (for gaming especially) to stuff the keyboard there. :ph34r:

One of the best keyboards I have ever used in a mobile device was Nokia 9500. The keys have some convex shape to type accurately. Because of the screen itself is a light source there's no need to have an extra backlight to see the keys. Absolutely usefull on the go. B)

virusx said:
Could be detachable but firmly attached to the handheld (once plugged I mean :) )
A light-cradle(with hardware options)-keyboard that can be taken in both hands if wanted!?

If I had anything to do with the project's design I would definitely use a detachable keyboard that has a hinged connector so that you can fold it when not in use and also use it as a tilt system for the screen when in use.

All the sliding/movable parts of the other systems are scary, they tend to lead to costly repairs when they break.

There are some nice sliding designs though :lol:

Dzz said:
...It might be interesting to let the "trigger" (L/R or all four if the machine has four) keys double as extra ways to invoke the meta keys (like L1 = shift, L2 = ctrl, L3 = delete/backspace, or whatever)...
Yes that could be great and usefull.

mfk said:
We won't sacrifice the ergonomics (for gaming especially) to stuff the keyboard there. :ph34r:
I hope you won't <_< :)

And it have to be solid in the first place because many gamers won't stand to have their handheld being repaired because of a flimsy (learned a new english word today ;) ) keyboard.

mfk said:
Excellent! The only awful thing you could do is make it so the keyboard had to always be hanging out there even during the 80% of the time you didn't need or want it (like a clamshell type design).

I have a VGN-UX280P. The keyboard isn't usefull at all. It's hard to type on that. Because keys are sinked in the surface. It feels very uncomfortable to me

That's just because of the way the keys themselves are designed (completely flush with the panel), not because of the layout.

EvilDragon said:
DaveC said:
I do worry about dynamic libraries. What if you have an app that uses a certain one, then the library gets updated for a newer app and then the old app stops working? The old app could be updated but you know how devs come and go and many times don't release the source. Could be an issue. Static ones are bigger but apps are generally pretty small anyway. What is a meg here and there when 8-gig cards are getting cheaper by the day and will be real cheap by the time this is released?
Don't worry about that - nearly every system uses dynamic linked libraries (or what do you think .DLL files in Windows are?)

The Amiga also did use libraries (in libs-directory).

Newer libraries are backwards-compatible, so all old stuff will run.
But the good thing is: A newer version of the library might be more optimized, etc., and the program runs faster without recompiling.

Have you seen what I did with Super Methane Bros.?
I simply recompiled it with the Open2x Libs and it ran even smoother with 75MHz than the old GPH version ran at 200MHz.

If such programs used dynamic libraries, they'd run smoother without any recompiling :)

In theory that will work. It may be OK 95% of the time. But haven't you heard of the problems with windows .dll files? The same thing that I said has happened alot.. Someone installs app with new .dll, old app breaks.

This timing improvement you speak of could break stuff. What if the coder took the timing of the old lib into account when doing the sound or screen update etc into their app? Update and the sound may be off etc. You can't assume anything.

MFK. Just one thing, please listen to this, as it is the only request I have for the console. Please, please don't make it a shiny plastic that gets covered in fingerprints and scratches, please. That really hacks me off.

cappuchok said:
I believe it was mfk who already said the screen is 4.3 inches. So we know that much.

Ah, my bad. But the system could be more compact if it was just a screen with no buttons next to it.
cappuchok said:
Also, I think priority should definitely be given to comfortable gaming controls, and putting them on the slideout keyboard would probably mean too thin a grip to be comfortable.
That is to say how thick the device will be.

I self got a Qtek 9100 phone. It's like 2mm thicker than the GP2X (without the battery holder). The slideout keyboard is thicker than the screen (I'd say around 2/3). It's pretty comfortable, but sadly too small. But we're talking about a phone that's slightly wider than the screen of the GP2X (or higher, whatever. :)).

But in the end, it's all about where you place the buttons. Placing them all the way on the bottom guarantees for hand cramp.

Hey, anybody feel like some drawing? Haven't seen any drawings, only some references to other devices.
*looks for his pencil*

Metal-Geo said:
Hey, anybody feel like some drawing? Haven't seen any drawings, only some references to other devices.
*looks for his pencil*
Drawings would be cool, but links are easier :)

There have already been hundreds of similar devices. The "twist" here is the willingness to make the unit bulkier in exchange for good gaming controls, and drawings of variations on the existing themes while taking that into account will be interesting. Like your Qtek 9100 phone (which looks like a reasonably nice design to me) -- I wonder how easy that would be to use with the gaming controls placed in the obvious spots. Would it be comfortable to play with the keyboard out?

Here are a few thoughts on the controls.

D-Pad, yay!!!

A detachable keyboard is a bad idea, imo. A slide-out keyboard would be fine, or a swivel clamshell, like the Zaurus would be better. If it has USB Host, does it even need a keyboard, really? If it had BT 2.0, there would be lots of small folding keyboards you could use.

Game controls should be the top priority. D-pad is a must. Face buttons are a must. You should not have to use the keyboard to play most games, imo. Four shoulder buttons would be best.

Metal-Geo said:
cappuchok said:

Ah, my bad. But the system could be more compact if it was just a screen with no buttons next to it.

I dunno. I much prefer the "controls on the sides of the screen" design that has been a staple element of handheld gaming consoles since the GameGear and before. Considering this device would probably need a minimum of 12 buttons plus a directional control, that'd be sort of cramped if you put those controls on a slideout platform beneath a 4,3" screen and fit a tiny keyboard inbetween the game controls. Ouch. :)

mfk said:
One of the best keyboards I have ever used in a mobile device was Nokia 9500. The keys have some convex shape to type accurately. Because of the screen itself is a light source there's no need to have an extra backlight to see the keys. Absolutely usefull on the go. cool.gif
hmm the keys aren't staggered. And that would require a clamshell design, or a very dusty slider (clearance).
What about a fold out / clip on thumb pad? Hang on... Like this one;
http://www2.multithread.co.uk/mtcshop/imag...yboard_main.jpg

To my mind there's little point to anything much more than that on this size of device - the alternative is a bigger Qwerty keyboard, and for that I would say you need a clamshell, full functionality and staggered key layout. Consider this, either you are typing with all your fingers, one finger or thumb, or two thumbs. To type with all fingers you need a certain scale, and that can only be pushed so far.

But er, I would but a bigger enter button on that thing, and maybe a few more keys. The button design is good, they are staggered, which means you don't suffer grid syndrome, and could clearance between keys which reduces chance of a mistype. Just my thoughts on keyboard design...

Also I officially change my stance on Dynamic linking - Everyone Dynamically link! Except if your paranoid and not worried about your performance - energy wasting psychos! :p

cappuchok said:
I dunno. I much prefer the "controls on the sides of the screen" design that has been a staple element of handheld gaming consoles since the GameGear and before. Considering this device would probably need a minimum of 12 buttons plus a directional control, that'd be sort of cramped if you put those controls on a slideout platform beneath a 4,3" screen and fit a tiny keyboard inbetween the game controls. Ouch. :)
Haha, yeah, probably. :D

I'm working on some design ideas on the computer now though. It keeps me busy. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back