Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@saehn, woogal

I wrote all information i've got from this and the german forum together.
And no, I'm not guessing...

woogal said:
That's not new information, it's just what we already know (800x480) combined with what some people are guessing (MMSP2+).
I'm told that sbock has a good source and is not simply guessing, so I'm looking to one of the four (CraigIX, mfk, EvilDragon, Squidge) to confirm. They're the only reliable sources that I know of so far.

I've never seen one of those four confirm 800x480, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
sbock said:
@saehn, woogal

I wrote all information i've got from this and the german forum together.
And no, I'm not guessing...
If you'd point out your specific sources* I'd be happy to combine lists with you. :) I'm not a native German speaker, so I can only review German posts via a translator.

Edit: as in links to topics, etc.

cowai said:
Didn't Squidge say something about an FPU/extra co-prossesor?
I remember him and exophase arguing.
I also thought that the new device would come with an fpu... an fpu is crucial for a lot of things. It's not going to be top notch without float point math!!!

cappuchok said:
For those who don't want an on-unit keyboard, this one looks nice.

That and the previously-posted USB keypad add up to an interesting option (mentioned by others), which is to keep the cost, bulk and number of built-in failure points down by just providing excellent connectivity options and driver support. Then people can pick whatever keyboard design they want, it seems there are lots of small ones to choose from. They could re-sell several good options from their site. They could even force people to get one of the options if they want to make sure that everybody has a keyboard.

Or maybe they are looking forward to: "My 'X' key doesn't work as well any more after I frantically smashed it 12,000 times playing FlubbleGub Warriors"... :)

DaveC said:
In theory that will work. It may be OK 95% of the time. But haven't you heard of the problems with windows .dll files? The same thing that I said has happened alot.. Someone installs app with new .dll, old app breaks.

This timing improvement you speak of could break stuff. What if the coder took the timing of the old lib into account when doing the sound or screen update etc into their app? Update and the sound may be off etc. You can't assume anything.
When you can actually display an understanding of what you are talking about, we may take notice of what you have to say. The dll problem is totally different - *NIX dynamic libraries work differently to work around that and it's not a problem anyway as people will only be using either libraries included in the firmware or including them in the program directory where it affects nothing else.

As for the second problem, only a fool would do it on a device like this. We have timers so you don't need to make assumptions like that and I've never seen it happen when overclocking the GP2X myself.

About that keyboard, will it have suport for non only english characters?
How you will do things like "ç", "ñ", "ò", "ô", etc...?

I mean by software or by hardware adding a few buttons, etc...
An only english keyboard is quite limited.

(A keyboard is not a priority for me, but is much better than a touchscreen keyboard or "graffity palm" way)

And I repeat:

What about the mic?

Having wifi, a mic is a must-have.

Personally, I'd like to see a slide out keyboard.

An external clip on one will compromise form factor, and means more things to carry/lose. If it's tucked up nicely inside the unit, there are less things to remember.

Xmoon said:
About that keyboard, will it have suport for non only english characters?
How you will do things like "ç", "ñ", "ò", "ô", etc...?

I mean by software or by hardware adding a few buttons, etc...
An only english keyboard is quite limited.

(A keyboard is not a priority for me, but is much better than a touchscreen keyboard or "graffity palm" way.
And I repeat:

What about the mic?

Having wifi, a mic is a must-have.

OMG, you're right! DROP THE KEYBOARD! (or make it detachable!)

DaveC said:
In theory that will work. It may be OK 95% of the time. But haven't you heard of the problems with windows .dll files? The same thing that I said has happened alot.. Someone installs app with new .dll, old app breaks.

Weird, I work with computers since 1986, C64, Amiga, Mac, Windows, Linux, etc.
I administrate over 30 PCs here and never found a single app which didn't work when I installed a new one.

You probably better go buy yourself a PSP. You can be sure everything you need is on your UMD. And it will work.
I don't think Computers or OpenSource systems are the right system for you if you are too afraid of even using standards...

So: STOP moaning about that, it won't change anything and we'll make sure everything works.
Thanks. Over and out. Period.

Last edited:
gp2x.info said:
I think it's great that Craig, Ed and mfk develop a new open-source system.
That takes time, effort, a big bag of money and some serious guts to do!

Can't wait to play.

Please, whoever, tell us what the planned configuration for the keyboard is, slide, detachable, clamshell... We could keep on guessing for months but how are we expected to show you designs?

I know that I've asked this alot, but it is extremely important :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back