Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
kanzlr said:
will it run GP2X apps native or do they have to be at least recompiled?
They'll most likely need recompiling. Why? Due to the problems GPH made with the 2X - outdated libraries. The 2X therefore requires static compiling and thus hits the hardware directly in one way or another (If not the main app, the library). Dynamically linked binaries will be expecting the obsolete libraries, so would need a quick recompile too.

Open2X binaries should stand a much better chance of working without having to even recompile as it's a sane environment.

Good news is that most applications, once recompiled, will be much smaller, as the main stuff, like C libraries/etc can be dynamically linked (Like on Open2X).

SquidgeSNES 'Performance' mode isn't required on any of the games I've tried so far, they run smooth enough under the "Quality" renderer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravnos said:
I don't know much about the ARM11's, but an ARM9 with Jazelle would be pretty nice. I know there are a lot of people around here who dislike Java quite a bit, but good Java performance could open up the device to a lot of homebrewers and expand the scene quite a bit.

Edit: Looks like the chipset Dzz likes has it. Neat.
You requoted yourselves btw. Jazelle is a closed technology unless you pay alot and sign an NDA. Even books on ARM just quote "We cannot cover the Jazelle technology even if we would like to". Guess this addition will lie broken on the floor even if the chip supports it, just the same way several key techniques are broken just as they are not documented (think of the video player on GP2X)

Squidge said:
SquidgeSNES 'Performance' mode isn't required on any of the games I've tried so far, they run smooth enough under the "Quality" renderer.
Hmm. "Smooth Enough" sounds less than enthusiastic - are we talking "easily full speed with no frameskipping, probably with enough cycles to spare for two emulators at once" or is it more "full speed with some frameskipping"?

This machine doesn't sound all that impressive from what you and ED have said so far... Though it does apparently have a nice frontend menu.

D.

Dunny said:
This machine doesn't sound all that impressive from what you and ED have said so far...
Well... faster SNES emulation than the most optimized gp2x-Version without optimizing it or using any of the hardware acceleration features isn't impressive? ;)
Remember how fast the first SNES port (nk's SNES9x) without optimization ran ;)

You will be surprised, believe me...

Last edited:
wow... that does sound interesting. Any hints on who will be producing the handheld? Obviously craig is involved big time but how about the finances? Is he funding the project himself or is he developing together with the others for gph?

EvilDragon said:
I hope so, but you'll have to forgive me if I remain skeptical. 6 months ago, I avidly read every thread on this board (well, a lot of them, at least), and decided that maybe the 2x was the machine for me. I ordered one, and immediately began gathering emulators and some homebrew.

Let's just say that in most cases the software (and in some cases the hardware) didn't meet the hype. I'm seeing a lot of "hype" here - people making wild guesses, and worse than that, people in the know are allowing the hysteria to grow and grow. There's no way your new machine can match the expectations now, and it's almost certainly going to be a disappointment.

The state of emulation and homebrew on the 2x is improving now - and just as we're getting some excellent stuff for our handheld, it's being abandoned.

I'm not optimistic about this, and a lot of you will probably flame me for being negative. Go ahead.

D.

Craigix and EvilDragon .. at least 2 persons saw the "prototype"
so .. it is already running on a workbench waiting for "addons" ?

Dunny said:
EvilDragon said:
I hope so, but you'll have to forgive me if I remain skeptical. 6 months ago, I avidly read every thread on this board (well, a lot of them, at least), and decided that maybe the 2x was the machine for me. I ordered one, and immediately began gathering emulators and some homebrew.

Let's just say that in most cases the software (and in some cases the hardware) didn't meet the hype. I'm seeing a lot of "hype" here - people making wild guesses, and worse than that, people in the know are allowing the hysteria to grow and grow. There's no way your new machine can match the expectations now, and it's almost certainly going to be a disappointment.

The state of emulation and homebrew on the 2x is improving now - and just as we're getting some excellent stuff for our handheld, it's being abandoned.

I'm not optimistic about this, and a lot of you will probably flame me for being negative. Go ahead.

D.

Firstly, I would say that that the GP2X has certainly not been a dissapointment for me. I bought it primarily for SNES and Megadrive emulation and it has delivered pretty well on that front from the moment I got it around 18 months ago. I didn't expect these emulators to be perfect, so I wasn't dissapointed. The secondary reason for buying it was as a media player. I like the idea of throwing movie files on a card without having to convert them and and then being able to watch them on a TV screen.

The GP2X has been a great little travel companion and the recent work on the Amiga emulator has made it better still.

However, I have to agree with Dunny that there is something to be said for "managing expectations". This unit will not be without it's problems - no new piece of technology is. The vitriol with which these problems will be met with will be directly proportionate to the hype which surrounds the machine before its release.

Dunny said:
No, I totally agree with you. When you let the hype build like this has, the product has a high chance of being a disappointment. Awful marketing.

Only 2 questions :D

Will have the new device 4 extra buttons for better N64 gameplay (for instance)?

SNES special chips games like FX(Starfox, StuntRace) is running fast?

Thank you for the answers :)

Dunny said:
Hmm. "Smooth Enough" sounds less than enthusiastic - are we talking "easily full speed with no frameskipping, probably with enough cycles to spare for two emulators at once" or is it more "full speed with some frameskipping"?
currently "easily full speed with no frameskipping"

And thats on a non-optimised basic Linux installation with a quickly ported non-optimised emulator.

Once Linux is ported properly (ie, uses the hardware properly instead of "just enough to get Linux going"), and the emulator is written for the hardware rather than hacked together, I'd easily expect it to run two copies of the emulator at once with no slow down.

@sinkyboy2000

Full Ack.

And to another point mentioned in this thread before: A good and powerfull hardware is nothing without software. The quality and quantity tells you if the hardware is good or not. Now go and look into the GP2x file archive...

Regards,
Stephan

Well remember craigix is predominantly a salesman (I think) so this thread will be all about hype and influencing sales - let's face it there's little more for them to make from gp2x sales (without a new 'killer app' - possibly like psx) - they need to move on and hope we all want to as well - which appears a lot of people are keen to do.

There's been very little in the way of information, just people's wild speculation and hopes - why not be patient until they're ready to post something of substance? Now that will be a thread worth reading.

I hope they're not expectingto take on the PSP market as _I_ think they'll be sorely disappointed unfortunately.

EDIT: note I do wish them luck and hope this new console delivers (didn't wanna sound too negative).

Well, and don't see any big problem with that hype here.
Actually, it's just speculation, etc.
It won't be a wondermachine with 2GHz and a 30hours lasting batteries.

It is a machine following the steps of the gp2x, with a lot of useful additions which opens up a lot new worlds... and possibilities.

It will be a really nice device - and a dreammachine for a lot of guys here (including me).
I loved the GP32, it was a very powerful handheld at that time and was able to play homebrew.
Because of the GP32, I started to sell the gp2x in Germany, making it easily available for everyone here.
I liked the gp2x, but compared with other machines, it had some negative things. The gp2x was good, but not perfect. It had some flaws, like old libraries in Linux (if you simply use Open2x Libraries and recompile, like I did with Methane Bros., the same game runs at 75MHz as fast as it did run with 200MHz with the old libraries....). The Linux was too old, the menu... very basic. TV Out is nice, but why do you need an extra adapter for it? And stuff like that.

See what I mean?

So... We have a better overall system that uses resources better and a TV-Out without the need for an adapter :) , that's already nice. ( leaving aside all the other extras lol )

Yeah - I know it's speculation, just think people's expectations may be getting out-of-hand and that will do nobody any good.
Maybe some basic info would help...? ;)
EDIT: actually I'm getting more interested as some solid facts emerge.

EvilDragon said:
if you simply use Open2x Libraries and recompile, like I did with Methane Bros., the same game runs at 75MHz as fast as it did run with 200MHz with the old libraries....).

That's very interesting to hear :) Unfortunately I'm already building with open2x :(

EvilDragon said:
liked the gp2x, but compared with other machines, it had some negative things. The gp2x was good, but not perfect. It had some flaws, like old libraries in Linux (if you simply use Open2x Libraries and recompile, like I did with Methane Bros., the same game runs at 75MHz as fast as it did run with 200MHz with the old libraries....). The Linux was too old, the menu... very basic
Yes, the GP2x has flaws. So what? As you mentioned in your post, some very clever devs found a workaround and make the GP2x a better piece of hardware without swiching to a more powerfull hardware design.
And other devs create a very good new menu. So where is the point? That's not the reason we all need a new kind of hardware.

kevcal said:
I hope they're not expecting to take on the PSP market as _I_ think they'll be sorely disappointed unfortunately.
I hope they aren't either because the quality of the games will have to be sharply reduced to fall into line with the PSP ones. :p

As for this new device being a disappointment, somebody would be disappointed with it even if it had a built in massage chair and gave you a blowjob whenever you fancied. :)

Anyway I wish "the team" luck with this new device, and don't take too much notice of my ramblings. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back