Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some Designs look really great.
Then again a D-pad is needed.
The analog sticks are no good for the emulation there is going to be made on the new toy.

Like the GP2X you don't really need such a stick with SNES or MAME emulation is it? :p

Hope you just don't make a DPAD that has 4 buttons, I Really don't like that.

Slightly breaking away from the design/features aspect of the new machine, will the overall build quality be better than the 2X ?

I'm a big fan of the 2X, but when you come back to it after using other hand-held devices it does always feel very cheap and throwaway to me.

Oh! this is great

gp4Q1.jpg

is the most portable system :D
the only thing that i think to should to change is the gp2x "style"

RX Shorty said:
Some Designs look really great.
Then again a D-pad is needed.
The analog sticks are no good for the emulation there is going to be made on the new toy.

Like the GP2X you don't really need such a stick with SNES or MAME emulation is it? :p

Hope you just don't make a DPAD that has 4 buttons, I Really don't like that.
I totally agree on the D-pad, a "pad area" with four separate buttons just won't cut it. For MAME, perhaps there's also the consideration of choosing a 4-way or 8-way control. Most gamepads today are 8-way, I suppose.

Azure said:
cappuchok said:
As for a name for the new device, GP3X seems to be already taken (it's a cooler for graphics cards).
Why would they name it GP3X in the first place (Or "GP" anything)? It's not related to GP or GPH.

I know that. It's just that some people keep referring to it in those terms. I don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
if the dpad is good for pressing two directions at once, then a 4-way is enough?
Because then its just done in software...

EDIT: grimmar

EDIT2:
Does the MMSP2+ have hardware filtering, like the psp?

How many USB slots will have the machine?

The speakphones on the front top, isn't it?
Because on front bottom they are hidden by hands. Like zodiac or the first PSP.

X-Code said:
quartercast said:
I love your detachable keyboard design DaveC, well done! Several types of keypads could be manufactured for non-english languages. Simply change a software setting to match the pads and away you go!

I can forsee one problem with this design, and that is because the keyboard's detachable you'll be putting the battery and other heavy components in the main module. Consequently, when resting on a surface the device may have a tendency to fall over since the "top" will be heavier than the "bottom". What do you think?
Well spotted... Solutions anyone? :) ... Simple flip-out stand?

No worries, chemists can see the future ;) Flip-out stand from the screen module is a good idea, then even if you're not using the keyboard you could adjust the unit to stand on its own to watch movies etc..

I hope whatever the final design that the dev's come up with, that it'll have a simple flip-out support stand included.

More questions from me:

1. What utility software will be included in the provided firmware? e.g. music/video player.

2. What types of music files will be supported out of the box if a music player is included?

3. What types of video files will be supported out of the box if a video player is included?

4. If e-reader software is included will it format the text to fit the screen or will the user have to perform that task?

Heres my rough crack at it:

gp111one111nb2.png

Consider the plasement of the dual analogue nubs at the top, place your thumbs in that position on your current gp2x and see how comfortable it is, shoulder buttons are both at the back mounted to a sort of gp32 bump.

The roundness at the bottom allows you to shift your grip better to be placed for the dir pad.

The keyboard would slide down and the screen up at the same time, almost a full keyboard in there 12 number keys so the fn key could be toggled for function keys.

I like that design alot iorgy, but I think it will be too expensive. Who knows though. Also liked the ds-like rendering with the clamshell sorta rendering by DaveC, but as I said before, I think it would be too fragile.

I can't see the need for two analogue sticks/nobs, but I can see why one would be great. Everyone in doubt consider how you are going to play quake3 with the touchscreen... that is going to be one disappointment... At least a d-pad and a stick of some sort to control the view in fps.

Ah... well. I am sure mfk, Ed and Craig will think of something and might already have! DaveC is also still there and he definately has some good ideas.

EDIT: One thing I forgot! Everyone yelling "we need keyboards produced for every region of the universe" should think about what they are demanding. It's not that cheap you know... not many people might buy it! It will probably have a qwerty keyboard, but you do realize that you can switch keyboards in linux to whatever country code you live in, right?

xnopasaranx said:
I can't see the need for two analogue sticks/nobs, but I can see why one would be great.

Yeah, two analogs. WTF?

EDIT: I have the DS and controlling something with the touchscreen really sucks. A little knob is way better, the psp's one is enough. (yeah, that sucks too, but better than nothing)

cowai said:
xnopasaranx said:
I can't see the need for two analogue sticks/nobs, but I can see why one would be great.

Yeah, two analogs. WTF?

EDIT: I have the DS and controlling something with the touchscreen really sucks. A little knob is way better, the psp's one is enough. (yeah, that sucks too, but better than nothing)

Two is always better than one, joystick and mouse at the same time for example, fps games etc... if only one which side would you put it on? Besides its a concept and you always go overboard for a concept just to see ideas. ;)

Why have something that "sucks" or "is better than nothing" when you could have the optimal set up, price allowing of course... if it is indeed too expensive scrap it.

Nice design lorgy77, but wouldn't it turn out to be a little big?

None of the other designs show the widescreen, so its kinda big already, the keyboard and screen slide up and down accordingly so it wouldnt be as tall as some of the other designs and it would be a lot bigger if it was squared off.

X-Code said:
I want 4 analogue sticks so that I can lie the unit upside down and not scratch the screen :lol:
rofl... i nearly fell off of my chair there...

xnopasaranx said:
EDIT: One thing I forgot! Everyone yelling "we need keyboards produced for every region of the universe" should think about what they are demanding. It's not that cheap you know... not many people might buy it! It will probably have a qwerty keyboard, but you do realize that you can switch keyboards in linux to whatever country code you live in, right?
I believe two people so far (me and one more) have mentioned int'l keyboards, and none of us asked for an actual physically different keyboard for each region. We both just asked how input of non-English characters would be accomodated (Iorgy's design for example doesn't have enough keys). This requires at least a 101-102 key layout, possibly minus the F-keys. I'm not asking for actual printed international characters on each key for each different regional market, just asking for enough keys to accomodate regular international keyboard layouts in Linux (or custom layout definitions may need to be made if the layout differs a lot from a standard 101-102 key keyboard).

ok, when do use the mouse and the joystick at the same time?
If you have on on the right, you use the d-pad as W,A,S,D...perfect.

Why does the psx have to analogs?

So for driving and flight sims you could never use the analogue and the buttons at the same time unless you wanted to use your right thumb.

There are games that use mouse and joystick on the amiga and other systems.

cappuchok said:
xnopasaranx said:
I believe two people so far (me and one more) have mentioned int'l keyboards, and none of us asked for an actual physically different keyboard for each region. We both just asked how input of non-English characters would be accomodated (Iorgy's design for example doesn't have enough keys). This requires at least a 101-102 key layout, possibly minus the F-keys. I'm not asking for actual printed international characters on each key for each different regional market, just asking for enough keys to accomodate regular international keyboard layouts in Linux (or custom layout definitions may need to be made if the layout differs a lot from a standard 101-102 key keyboard).

I wasn't trying to attack you, it was supposed to be a humorous exaggeration. Somebody I believe actually asked for a printed keyboard for each different region. So yeah, I get your point. I am from Germany so I would need a 102 key setup aswell but there is non-standard ways to solve the problem aswell... like a function key that lets you turn a U into a Ü... if you know where I'm coming from...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back