Cracks in black CC version Pandora case: warranty after 18 months?

Well, I'm going to sell mine. I don't use it very much and all the hassle with RMA is not worth it for me. Someone else will become quite happy with my Pandora, I'm quite sure of it.

Edit: Just having put my Pandora on the trading boards and having re-installed the firmware and then checking if everything works perfectly, I get a purple screen. You gotta be kidding me!! WTF!!

You KNOW what happens to the UNBELIEVER !!! :p

LOL! Now I'm forced to have my unit repaired. Not sure what I'll be doing after that. I was thinking of selling it because I'm not using it very much and could use the money for something else. Maybe this is some trickery to force me to stay in the Pandora scene.

I would miss your avatar picture greatly if you left Wootson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Overall build quality is not very good, and I haven't even used the device that much. Makes me laugh a little, thinking of when people always said that the GP2X F-100 and F-200 had such a bad build quality. Pandora is much worse.

This is not an excuse, but I worked in industries making packaging in plastics and please know that it is extremely difficult to make something durable that does not crack everywhere. At least, it needs experience and knowledge, and people who know how to design the plastic pieces to make them very strong. There are always dozens of people working on this kind of issues in companies that produce millions of product, to ensure that you get close to zero defects on the actual case.

I don't think that anyone in the OP team has such knowledge and they unfortunately have to learn some as they go.

Indeed, we used the wrong company, we know this now.

We used the wrong PCB company too, again, a lesson learnt.

I doubt there are many companies like OP who get it all right, right away. It seems every successful business man you speak to has early tales of companies like DSW and CircuitCo.

It's just a baptism of fire we had to go though.

However - I hope that the iControlpad and now the Pandora 1Ghz shows that we have moved on.

The iControlpad case does not crack, actually a lot of people mention about how ridiculously rock solid it is - that's because we used a company which makes medical instruments and diving equipment to make it - but it cost a fortune - something we could never have afforded back in 2008.

However, with GC successfully making the Pandora PCB and plans moving ahead for an iCP2 and eventually a Pandora2 with cases made in Europe, I think we can assure you the quality will be near perfect on future products - it might not appear to be an issue which is near our top priority, but I assure you, behind the scenes, it is.

Overall build quality is not very good, and I haven't even used the device that much. Makes me laugh a little, thinking of when people always said that the GP2X F-100 and F-200 had such a bad build quality. Pandora is much worse.

This is not an excuse, but I worked in industries making packaging in plastics and please know that it is extremely difficult to make something durable that does not crack everywhere. At least, it needs experience and knowledge, and people who know how to design the plastic pieces to make them very strong. There are always dozens of people working on this kind of issues in companies that produce millions of product, to ensure that you get close to zero defects on the actual case.

I don't think that anyone in the OP team has such knowledge and they unfortunately have to learn some as they go.

Indeed, we used the wrong company, we know this now.

We used the wrong PCB company too, again, a lesson learnt.

I doubt there are many companies like OP who get it all right, right away. It seems every successful business man you speak to has early tales of companies like DSW and CircuitCo.

It's just a baptism of fire we had to go though.

However - I hope that the iControlpad and now the Pandora 1Ghz shows that we have moved on.

The iControlpad case does not crack, actually a lot of people mention about how ridiculously rock solid it is - that's because we used a company which makes medical instruments and diving equipment to make it - but it cost a fortune - something we could never have afforded back in 2008.

However, with GC successfully making the Pandora PCB and plans moving ahead for an iCP2 and eventually a Pandora2 with cases made in Europe, I think we can assure you the quality will be near perfect on future products - it might not appear to be an issue which is near our top priority, but I assure you, behind the scenes, it is.

Are the silver pandora cases made by the same company / material as the icp?

I agree the icp is mother trucking solid, black pandora case... not so much

The silver cases are still made by DSW with some fixes, but we're agreed we won't be using DSW for the Pandora2.

They were cheap and are good for small, simple parts, but that's it.

The case mould may cost $120,000 for the Pandora2, but it will be worry free and perfect I'm sure.

Good to hear, in the end its just not worth it to save 10E a unit here and 15E a unit there.

All the hassle to make the device slightly cheaper, but you cant see such things coming without experience.

I will wait before buying another machine I think. the case problem is rampant it seems throughout the older builds.

When a new case supplier is found for the new (2gb?) Pandora I will buy one.

But to me the machine has to be more solid than this.

The software is excellent and going just the way I hoped with new updates all the time.

Thanks to all who are giving there time and effort.

especially Evil Dragon and co.

Back