D-pad directions stuck after released

rygD

Nihilistic Mystic
I have a problem in some games after a combination of button/direction presses where my CC Pandora acts like the d-pad is being held down until the same direction is pressed again (I think that was how I fixed it).  I will add more details and give precise information when I have time.  I noticed it in a few games, one of which is Navi's Quest.  Initially I thought something was wrong with the d-pad, maybe it was getting stuck or there was something in the case, since it was always when there was a lot going on in the games and I might have been pressing too hard or something.  Then I noticed it was fairly easy to reproduce, and it happened with all 4 directions.  It was a direction plus a gaming button or two iirc.

If this is a known issue please tell me/merge the threads/point me in the right direction.  I tried to search, but the terms I was using could have been way off.

This is not supposed to happen. Try if you can reproduce it in input test (System->Pandora input-tester), if you can't, then it's a bug in specific game/app.

Will do.  If it turns out to be the games I will start making a list.  I will be back in a few minutes with an update.

Ok so after a lot of button mashing, I guess this thread can be closed.  I can't get it to happen with the input tester.  

It happens in Navi's Quest with d-pad and x and/or b.  Sometimes one of the buttons gets "stuck", not just the d-pad.  I need to see if some of the games I still have are the others I noticed this in.

Now that you mention it i have had that too but never really cared about it. 

Happens for me sometimes too, usually left or right direction controls, I always assumed it was something physical (although there is never any feel that the pad is 'stuck' down) and likewise it takes a sharp tap or two in the stuck direction to release it.

I never cared before it caused me to die in a game.  Part of why I thought it was a hardware issue was, like Asmo said, I only remembered it happening to the right until I started testing before I mentioned it here.  The really messed up part was the sticking buttons in addition to d-pad stuff.  I would like to know what causes it since it is not hardware.  The Pyra will be here before I have time and knowledge with which to really investigate.  We may see the same issues there with some ports.  I like to think we are too bad ass for the games to handle our skills.

Do either of you remember what games you experienced it in?

What desktop are you using?  Are you using  Openbox?  Some buttons behave strangely in games and emus when playing in Openbox.   

It's happened for me most often in C4A Mame / PanMame (though I do play those most often...). Space Invaders only has left/right controls, but it's in that I think I've encountered it most.

Firmware is up to date (it has happened before, under older firmware too), CC machine and XFCE desktop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I've encountered this, or maybe I blamed it on the nubs when it happened...

Firmware is up to date (it has happened before, under older firmware too), CC machine and XFCE desktop.
Same for me.

I don't think I've encountered this, or maybe I blamed it on the nubs when it happened...
Since I never came across someone else mentioning it I thought it was just me.  Try Navi's Quest and hit different directions while using the sword.  I may have been smashing on B as well since that was the only way I was able to easily reproduce it.  It didn't always happen, but it was happening enough that I noticed it more than in other games (I was trying to get rupees to buy stuff).

I didn't consider that.  I have only had it happen to me in Squared a few times.  I might give it a shot (but that is a dangerous game that seems to eat hours everytime I am "just going to play for a few minutes", so I need to set aside I block of game time for that and some other games and testing stuff).

Ok, either it is getting worse, so possibly a hardware problem I can't get to happen when testing input (unlikely), or I am really unlucky, or there is something else going on. It happened in at least 2 games I played today, and cost me several lives.

It happened a few times in Metroid Classic. I need to look at a couple other things with this game, as I couldn't fire, so I never made it out of the first room.

I moved on to Chuckie Egg and it felt like it was constantly getting stuck, almost always to the left. It is pretty bad for that to happen in this game since you can easily fall down holes.

It may have happened in some other games. I will check later. On one hand I hope it is the games, but on the other I don't, since that means those need to be fixed or they are unplayable for me. :(

I just messed around with Chuckie Egg again (yes, the port) and it seems to happen when pushing A or B (the 2 buttons NOT used for jumping, no clue why I was hitting them, but earlier was my first time playing it, so I was still trying to learn everything) and left or right. As with other games where I have this problem, it most often gets stuck when pushing left. It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be a problem when playing games, especially when an enemy is to the character's left (or if there is a hole).

Now that's odd. On my Pandora, the A, B, X and Y all do the same thing - jump. I just played a game using the A button exclusively, and I'm pretty sure I normally use B when playing.

You haven't got MouseAB installed by any chance have you?

Doh!

Ok, so the reason I was having control issues in Metroid was because of AB Mouse. Later, before I play Metroid, I will also try Chuckie Egg with AB Mouse disabled. I know (some of) my previous issues were unrelated to this, though.

@levi Thanks for helping me figure out the obvious that I stupidly overlooked. I will update again after checking them out.

@levi was right, my problems with those two games (Chuckie Egg and Metroid Classic) were completely caused by AB Mouse. I usually switch back before playing games, so I must have been a little over eager. I am doing much better with Chuckie Egg now, and the controls for Metroid are back to normal, with neither getting stuck.

Still just the old issues reported here. I don't currently use Mame, so maybe someone else can try that (specifically Space Invaders, according to @Asmo).

I will try both Squared and Navi's Quest, and play around with AB Mouse. I think AB Mouse needs to be turned off to have normal controls for Navi's Quest, like Metroid Classic, so I will start there.
[doublepost=1459652400,1459648747][/doublepost]It seems I was also wrong about Navi's Quest. After testing with and without AB Mouse enabled, it looks like everything is pointing to that, as it didn't interfere with normal controls in that game afaik, but it does make d-pad controls sticky when hitting B.

Just like in the past, I had a hard time forcing phantom moves in Squared. With AB Mouse enabled I used the buttons exclusively for a while and had no phantom moves. With AB Mouse still enabled I switched to using d-pad exclusively, and also had no phantom moves. Both need to be tested without AB Mouse, or until we can identify what causes the phantom moves. I will check next time I have them to see if I once again forgot to disable AB Mouse.

Thanks everyone for helping me figure out what was going on. For me, it looks like I have a lot of trouble remembering to disable AB Mouse. I am not sure if this is the case with @Asmo and @Elw3. I guess I should stop using it for now, and we need to investigate the other reported problems.

Back