COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but we all pay for that. Meanwhile only you received a 'free' test kit. You're still winning.
True. But my point was that you can complain. As you are indirectly paying for something, so you want them to spend the money wisely.
Which would be different if the test are provided for free by some commercial entity.

Some indications that official statements in the UK/England are being made deliberately misleading, such as the daily infections figures excluding reinfections (but not being clear about doing so until this morning, thus understating the total daily infections) and Johnson’s statement about ~90% of those with Covid-19 in hospital being unvaccinated when by “unvaccinated” they actually meant all those with fewer than three injections rather than only those with no injections.

Also, sadly, the pass sanitaire has now been turned into the pass vaccinale thus excluding -ive PCR test results and become a hair’s breadth from making Covid-19 vaccination obligatory in France.

Some indications that official statements in the UK/England are being made deliberately misleading, such as the daily infections figures excluding reinfections (but not being clear about doing so until this morning, thus understating the total daily infections) and Johnson’s statement about ~90% of those with Covid-19 in hospital being unvaccinated when by “unvaccinated” they actually meant all those with fewer than three injections rather than only those with no injections.
Well, if they at least have the numbers but don't want to give them, that's something. I think with Omicron in some places there're just not enough tests for everyone so nobody has good case counts.
I'm told in Catalonia:
- 17,56% of tests turn out positive (according to the WHO they should be less than 5% to believe you're doing enough tests).
- Some chemists have at-home tests and some don't at varying prices.
- known cases are record high (hospitalization, intensive care and deaths are high but no record yet)
- The primary/ambulatory care is overburdened so health authorities ask people not to visit a care center if they're positive (much less if they're just asymptomatic contacts or somehow suspect). The positive should isolate and stay in bed if they feel bad, but only seek doctor if their symptoms get serious. But many need to be written ill to excuse from work, so they should tell their positive status by internet or (overloaded) phone (and likewise for all generally to at least update clinical records). Employers complain that then anyone can falsely declare himself positive just to have paid leave, but there're just no doctors available for bureaucracy.
- The isolation period is reduced from 10 days to 7 for asymptomatic people, but most don't get tested after the period, just return to work (unless they have symptoms).
- The government recommends everyone to get a booster (progressively by decreasing age ranges) because 2 shoots don't protect enough from omicron. But then vaccinated (unboosted) contacts don't have to isolate, and can keep spreading.
- restrictions are light and not very meaningful, apparently choosen for lowest cost to government/economy. Policy is apparently boost everyone, don't do anything else expensive and wait for the wave to pass. Not unlike Israel maybe ?

What I mean is that if you have Omicron and don't have a strict lockdown, nobody will ever know how many cases there are. If you're lucky and have test kits in good supply or abundant health care, you may know whether you're positive, but knowing how many there are is quite difficult.
In Germany they assume they have 2 or 3 times the reported cases, and they're only around 200 cases / 100000 people. I think the UK is like 10 times higher in official numbers. Add the known unreported and then the undetected and I wouldn't be surprised if you get at 10% of population or something.

Also, sadly, the pass sanitaire has now been turned into the pass vaccinale thus excluding -ive PCR test results and become a hair’s breadth from making Covid-19 vaccination obligatory in France.
But they allow (recovered) for the pass or not ? Can people possibly fake they've recovered there?
And they're also restricting movement. Politico.eu wrote about UK citizens with residence but not double nationality in the EU not being allowed to cross France (by car, maybe train) in way to their EU homes after visiting family. Since the eurochannel exits in France, that's trouble for the affected.

Well, tests may not be perfect, but the vaccines (designed for the original Wuhan variant) don't seem to stop Omicron spread (more cases now than one year ago when nobody was vaccinated). They still seem useful (boosted or not???) to prevent death and hospitalization. So why do they insist on vaccination status giving access to places is beyond me. If some place shouldn't be open for the unvaccinated, it should close. Some months ago some vaccine producers said their tech was so perfect they could adapt their vaccines to new variants in weeks. Well, they didn't for Delta and I don't know what they're doing for Omicron. But maybe adapting them or testing them isn't so easy as claimed ? Or it's easy but less lucrative ?

Politico.eu wrote about UK citizens with residence but not double nationality in the EU not being allowed to cross France (by car, maybe train) in way to their EU homes after visiting family. Since the eurochannel exits in France, that's trouble for the affected
The FCO is seeking further details on this but it doesn’t seem to apply to air travel, nor if you have French residence and only British nationality.
Tbh it’s not overly surprising, given how out of control Westminster deliberately allowed this to get (their “wait and see” approach) and even though for France taking this action is a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, it’s at least a relatively easy political win.

It doesn't really matter what Boris does to fiddle the numbers, he can only really fiddle in the margins without completely making them up (which I don't think the ONS would permit), so the numbers are clear that the sensible thing to do is another lockdown. Thankfully then the Conservative party's make up of at least half raving moneyphiles (although a small number of that claim to see if as a matter of personal liberty, and don't think fraternity when in conflict should even moderate it) means Boris can't do that without splitting his party up.

No new restrictions in the UK. Yay!

1640905186156.png

It doesn't really matter what Boris does to fiddle the numbers
Cooking figures is stupidly risky. He is just selective and mis-represents things. All the expert talking heads are people who have bet their careers on vaccines back when they were graduates and are super gung ho ie biased. If you don't follow the agenda you get no airtime.

But there's some really fishy shit going on. Stuff that doesn't make sense. Things don't add up. Like quantum physics before blackholes were discovered*.

because 2 shoots don't protect enough from omicron
While simultaneously stating omicron is milder? Death rates are not increasing [see below]. DOUBLETHINK!!

In the UK only 5% of hospital beds are occupied by people who have covid. So it's not about not overwhelming the NHS. I appreciate the NHS is tremendously costly and has a huge backlog but it's a very cheap plea. Stop it.

Boosters being prescribed every 3 months means the vaccine is not working very well but big pharma have spun things and amazingly convinced us to accept it and pay even more! And more frequently. We are being taken for fools. And we are. DOUBLETHINK!!

Under 20 year olds represent 0.8% of deaths so if 100% of under 20 years olds are vaccinated and the vaccine were to work perfectly we would be reducing covid deaths by <1%. It is almost pointless to target them for vaccines and definitely a poor use of resources.

Looking at the death distribution we see that <1 year olds represent 0.5% of covid deaths whereas 1-19 year olds represent 0.4% combined. So infants offer a phenomenally better opportunity to save lives! Clearly we should mandate vaccinating infants, and let's do it properly, boosters every 3 months.

Death rates haven't changed significantly in 6 months. Looks like we got vax'd up enough before the wave started.
1640905431613.png

Excess deaths are now negative. Of course. We're holed up in fear.

At my work and in recent international travels vaccinations are basically useless. You still have to get a test. I got my vaccine because I thought I'd be hassled less...

And yet this flabbergasting news about New York mandating vaccines, for kids soon too. What a sick world. This is really freaking me out.

All my anti-vax friends and family seem to think they simply won't get infected for whatever reason. Well if you take a train or go to a pub your chances now are quite high, as they will be for the next wave, and the next. Everyone will eventually crave sunlight, go out and get infected. Factor it into your plans.

After traveling to x-mas drinks at my flat (via the tube) my neighbors daughter became very ill. She's anti-vax and was proclaiming how covid has not affected her "in any way" (sound familiar?). I spoke to her father today who told me she had a very bad cold and was awaiting a doctors visit. I asked if she had taken a covid test and he said in a fearful tone "no no no it's just a bad flu". Er... Lovely people, but completely brainless, fear-ridden pawns. And now they burden the NHS..

Last edited:
In the UK only 5% of hospital beds are occupied by people who have covid. So it's not about not overwhelming the NHS. I appreciate the NHS is tremendously costly and has a huge backlog but it's a very cheap plea. Stop it.
It's not just about the number of beds taken up by covid patients (I haven't checked your stat). There's also the cost that any nurse that tests positive for covid-19 has to self isolate for a number of days, thus reducing the number of nurses and doctors around to look after all the patients.

(A long) Discussion on 'Vitamin-D' and Covid.
Summary: Your life-style: less direct sun light (UV) on your skin, your diet, and physical characteristics can cause low levels of vitamin-D. Low levels of vitamin-D are, according to interview, directly linked to Covid hospital cases and other seasonal illnesses.
Discussion goes into why research could be ignored, why a 'safe' vitamin is marked as dangerous and why governments prefer only the vaccine answer, why doctors aren't suggesting it in general as studies suggest it could help prevent a lot of effects of other illnesses also.
Note: Discuss this topic with your GP if you want to seasonally add more vitamins. When taking vitamin D3 you probably want to take some K2 to prevent arterial calcification. Vitamin-D isn't a magic solution to cure Covid, it a generic method to keep your immune system in shape.

I take 12.5mg vitamin D daily
Thats over 400.000IE, you where reading the wrong number somewhere, Thats the Dose for an entire year. :D
1mg is 40.000IE.
My doctor set me on 20.000IE daily a while back, apparently the lack oft it made me batshit crazy. Now i am on around 1000 per day to just hold the levels, i need to check my levels again, but with all the covid shit its not so easy to get blood tests anymore.
Anyway to the vitamin K thing: Its essential to get that when on D, BUT its always good to get that because its one of the vitamins that directly control how fast you age. And you cant overdose it so the logical conclusion is to always get a ton of that.
But the thing is there are not really any useful pills for that on the marked, the doses that are in some pills is just very very tiny and not worth the effort to take. If you want K, go eat some spinach, K is essentially the green of leaves and a spoonful of spinach contains the same amount as a typical pill.
In that sense: eat you daily greens!

No new restrictions in the UK. Yay!
I can be decaffeinated but I'm not getting if you're being direct or ironical.
While simultaneously stating omicron is milder? Death rates are not increasing [see below]. DOUBLETHINK!!
I don't know if your data is right, but in other places death counts caused by COVID-19 are increasing with Omicron, just not so much as with other waves (because of the vaccines or natural immunity, I believe).
If you mean death counts for all causes I haven't looked. Once you die of COVID-19 you don't get to die of anything else. Last time I checked the all-cause deaths were higher than ever, since WWII or similiar in some places. But I don't know now.
If you mean COVID-19 deaths / COVID-19 cases, that's lower than it was. I believe because of vaccines and natural immunity but also because Omicron kills less.

In any case Omicron is milder means Omicron Deaths / Omicron Cases < Delta deaths / delta cases.
If Omicron cases >> Delta cases then Omicron deaths will eventually be > than Delta deaths.
Contagiousness is very important, not only lethality.

I find it strange. I don't know if they play somehow with the bed availability or what. I'm not finding this data for other places right now.
Boosters being prescribed every 3 months means the vaccine is not working very well but big pharma have spun things and amazingly convinced us to accept it and pay even more! And more frequently. We are being taken for fools. And we are. DOUBLETHINK!!
Well, yes. Don't take me seriously now, but don't you find that as much as medicine goes genetic (information intense) the vices of IT show up in health care too? I'll give you my shitty product is you pay me handsomely and if you don't like me you can pay me again for more. It's like once humans enter realms of very complex systems with easier to change and replicate information (be it software or RNA), they become less acountable, faster, richer from legal monopolies and less strict, but other humans become more dependent on it... Agile medicine ? Propietary genomes ?
Under 20 year olds represent 0.8% of deaths so if 100% of under 20 years olds are vaccinated and the vaccine were to work perfectly we would be reducing covid deaths by <1%. It is almost pointless to target them for vaccines and definitely a poor use of resources.
You're partly right but I still find no reason not to offer them vaccines. Not oversell, inform better about risks, but they should be free to get one. There are hospitalizations and deaths of young people too. It makes more sense for older people, but
even older people shouldn't be forced or pressed to get vaccinated. Vaccines should just be available and people be informed. In the ideal case you should be able to talk to a doctor who advises looking at your case, after listening for your opinion.
But we don't have capacity for that at the speed we need, so information campaigns need to be it. It doesn't help that so many people just want binary messages.

Looking at the death distribution we see that <1 year olds represent 0.5% of covid deaths whereas 1-19 year olds represent 0.4% combined. So infants offer a phenomenally better opportunity to save lives! Clearly we should mandate vaccinating infants, and let's do it properly, boosters every 3 months.
Ironic here, right? Anyway. But it must be even more difficult to tell adverse effects in newborns. The whole body is changing and growing and building up. If anything goes wrong it may have longer term effects.
I think there were trials in babies and it didn't go too well. They still decided to vaccinate them with 3 small doses instead of 2, I think.

Death rates haven't changed significantly in 6 months. Looks like we got vax'd up enough before the wave started.
Good if true, but I'm afraid they still may grow.
At my work and in recent international travels vaccinations are basically useless. You still have to get a test. I got my vaccine because I thought I'd be hassled less...
Well, at some point it's too obvious they were using vaccination privileges for the false purpose just to press people into accepting them and relieve health systems.
Maybe that saved lifes, but it eroded confidence and may backfire in the future. Anyway if your adverse effects weren't too bad you can always (?) enjoy your protection from severe COVID-19.
It seems a TikTok video went viral when a teacher flying 6 hours from Chicago to Reykjavik felt throat-ache, informed crew, had a new rapid antigen test made and
was found positive, despite all passengers having presented a negative test before boarding. She was quarantined for 5 flight hours in the plane WC and then
in a hotel on arrival. I guess out of boredom she broadcasted her reclusion in the WC and went viral. I miss those times without internet on planes.
I mean nothing is 100% safe. But I'm glad they require tests and don't accept just vaccination. Vaccination does not help prevent spread (not much, not long).
And yet this flabbergasting news about New York mandating vaccines, for kids soon too. What a sick world. This is really freaking me out.
ACK.
All my anti-vax friends and family seem to think they simply won't get infected for whatever reason. Well if you take a train or go to a pub your chances now are quite high, as they will be for the next wave, and the next. Everyone will eventually crave sunlight, go out and get infected. Factor it into your plans.

After traveling to x-mas drinks at my flat (via the tube) my neighbors daughter became very ill. She's anti-vax and was proclaiming how covid has not affected her "in any way" (sound familiar?). I spoke to her father today who told me she had a very bad cold and was awaiting a doctors visit. I asked if she had taken a covid test and he said in a fearful tone "no no no it's just a bad flu". Er... Lovely people, but completely brainless, fear-ridden pawns. And now they burden the NHS..
An old song said "Es un bicho grande y pisa fuerte, toda la pobre ignorancia de la gente". I'm ignorant too, it feels like it's too difficult not to be when everyone is lying at you all the time. People grow skepticism and missdirect it. I worry more about what damage I might be doing to others than what I suffer myself for my bad decisions. The solution does not seem to be to force people, but something should change culturally in not accepting lies as business as usual. Ministetries of Truth are bad too, so no magic bullet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back