COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last time hospitalizations went down in my state was on the 9th. Since then, they're up from 409 to 612. Cases dropped a bit today though, so maybe the hospitalizations will get a break soon too.

Why is deflation worse?
It's more difficult to get out of than inflation.

Imagine you run a small business and margins are wafer thin. You anticipate lower revenues for the foreseeable future, 1-2 years beyond that who knows. Do you invest in R&D? No. Do you try to reduce costs? Yes, by laying off employees. Now think about all those employees who have no income. They certainly won't be buying your product. It's a downward spiral.

Omg 40% of Brits think we should be required to wear masks in shops and on public transport regardless of covid. Propaganda overshoot. Nice one.

Yup, we are currently living the dictatorship our leaders always denounce in other countries.
And too many people are now enslaved to their mobile phone so they eat that pooh 24/7 without noticing anything wrong.

Please refrain from chatting to eachother, it's not the time to do that.
DONT BE FRIENDLY!

edit: Sidney has a population of 5 mil
95 hospitalized, of which 27 in the IC unit.

Last edited:
You know, despite hospitalizations in my state going from 400 to over 600, I'm not that worried, because the rise has been almost entirely linear. It doesn't seem like it will accelerate at all. It's kinda weird, because that's not how viruses usually work.

Eh, maybe when they update the data today, they'll have a huge daily increase in hospitalizations just to mess with me.

Edit: 3:20 PM and still no update. They usually have it out by 1 PM. This is where I make a joke about the NC COVID-19 information guy dying from COVID-19.

Edit 2: And now they say today's update is delayed due to a technical issue. They say they issued the statement at 3:15 PM, but it didn't appear until about 3:43 PM. I should know, I've been refreshing like a hawk.

Last edited:
You know, despite hospitalizations in my state going from 400 to over 600, I'm not that worried, because the rise has been almost entirely linear. It doesn't seem like it will accelerate at all. It's kinda weird, because that's not how viruses usually work.

Eh, maybe when they update the data today, they'll have a huge daily increase in hospitalizations just to mess with me.

Edit: 3:20 PM and still no update. They usually have it out by 1 PM. This is where I make a joke about the NC COVID-19 information guy dying from COVID-19.

Edit 2: And now they say today's update is delayed due to a technical issue. They say they issued the statement at 3:15 PM, but it didn't appear until about 3:43 PM. I should know, I've been refreshing like a hawk.
I thought on average across the US the cases had risen >700% over the past month, with a ~50% increase on last week?

I thought on average across the US the cases had risen >700% over the past month, with a ~50% increase on last week?
Yeah, probably. I was just talking about hospitalizations in North Carolina though. Cases in North Carolina have been rising a bit faster than hospitalizations, though it's hard to tell because case reporting follows a weekly trend. North Carolina is middle of the road as far as COVID-19 in the US goes though. What I mean is, the majority of new cases in the US are coming from other places, like Florida, Nevada, and Missouri.

Edit: From what I hear, even California is dealing with a huge increase in cases, despite being well vaccinated.

Last edited:
@Phlyra I mean, I'm trying to make myself clear here, but people like to intentionally misunderstand me. The US may be one country, but it's the size of Europe. When thinking about the US, you should pretty much treat it the same way you would treat fifty different European countries, rather than one country. You said cases are up 700% in the US, but they're only up about 100% in North Carolina, and hospitalizations are only up 50% here in NC. As with all phases of the pandemic, the increases are concentrated in specific areas. Nationwide numbers are kinda misleading.

Indeed, people is also boiling against the criminals handling the country in UK: “shame on police” and “arrest Boris Johnson”.

Sorry if my tone's getting a little abrasive, there are people here around my apartment who watch me and comment without knowing what's going on.

Oh man, the hospitalizations in NC are starting to curve now. They revised yesterday's number up by 11, and still managed to add 49 on top of that today.

Most worrying is the percent positive tests though. Up from 5.7% on the 17th to 7.3% on the 18th. We totally just skipped 6%, and we haven't even hit the fattest part of the week for percent positive tests yet, which would be reported tomorrow.

Please refrain from linking to 'doctor' Gillian McKeith's twitter. Ben Goldacre's book, Bad Science, devoted an entire chapter to what was wrong with her.
Ah, we shoot the messenger? Or is this just a feeble attempt to censor news? - don't know the lady, btw. And don't have the time to meddle in national politics of foreign countries (except when they are about to invade us).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back