COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually i dont need a Test for Work, and i only go to the super Market or something
Yeah, of course it depends on what your job is.

In Liverpool, UK there was a trial concert where everyone who wanted to attend needed to be tested, but inside they were free to mingle, and without masks.

Yeah, of course it depends on what your job is.

In Liverpool, UK there was a trial concert where everyone who wanted to attend needed to be tested, but inside they were free to mingle, and without masks.
It seems at least a bit concerning that it was Liverpool that was chosen for this experiment...

My state is over two hours late updating their COVID-19 dashboard today. I assume whoever operates it died of a sudden onset of COVID-19, and now is the time to panic.

India added 401,000 cases today, and for the first time, over 4000 deaths.

Going back to what I said in my previous post, the Atlantic finds that some people in the US are afraid to leave lockdown, as a liberal political statement. I should note that this is only a small section of liberals who view themselves as particularly progressive though. FiveThirtyEight even dedicated their latest politics podcast to this article.

Doctors shame fat people, and COVID-19 made it worse.

Having a BMI of 42.5 myself, I've gotta say-- Ow, my chest! *collapses*

Some new rumors regarding China and covid:

It feels like the period before the war with Iraq where there appears to be a media campaign to create an atmosphere where people don't object when a country is attacked, in this case increasing Sinophobia.
As we have the covid origin discussion, Uyghur camps and the possible attack on Taiwan. They all feel like valid discussions to have, but the news regarding these topics usually feel one-sided.

For example, the US investigated how to protect itself from biological weapons after the 2nd world war. They did so by experimenting on people with usually harmless agents: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/weapon-secret-testing/
So that doesn't mean investigating into a subject proofs that they also use it in practice as offensive strategy. As results of investigation might show it's not a good strategy, as you can't defend against it yourself easily after deploying.
This digital age doesn't appear to be helping either, as actual information is buried somewhere and the two popular opposing views will be widespread.

Taiwan and Ukraine are about to be invaded.

I was invited to Bulgaria this summer. Should I go?

1620566104738.png

Some new rumors regarding China and covid:

It feels like the period before the war with Iraq where there appears to be a media campaign to create an atmosphere where people don't object when a country is attacked, in this case increasing Sinophobia.
As we have the covid origin discussion, Uyghur camps and the possible attack on Taiwan. They all feel like valid discussions to have, but the news regarding these topics usually feel one-sided.

For example, the US investigated how to protect itself from biological weapons after the 2nd world war. They did so by experimenting on people with usually harmless agents: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/weapon-secret-testing/
So that doesn't mean investigating into a subject proofs that they also use it in practice as offensive strategy. As results of investigation might show it's not a good strategy, as you can't defend against it yourself easily after deploying.
This digital age doesn't appear to be helping either, as actual information is buried somewhere and the two popular opposing views will be widespread.
Have you ever seen the defoliants memorial museum in Sai Gon?

Have you ever seen the defoliants memorial museum in Sai Gon?
I haven't been to Vietnam. And if you mean they used chemical agents before: those are nasty like most cruelties during war, but it's not a self replicating bio-weapon like a harmful bacteria/virus.
If I ever visit Vietnam, and I'm near, it does look like a good place to visit.

Seychelles is the most vaccinated country on Earth, and BECAUSE OF THAT now they're seeing a COVID-19 surge.
ftfy

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, stated by Sherlock Holmes

So how do you think the process went?

A: We vaccinate everyone, then open up tourism again and the tourists bring money and disease?

Or:

B: The vaccine weakened the people, and in their weakened state they contracted more easily the disease, which was around but at bay due to so much sunlight?

Or:

C: All those health workers with their vaccines imported the virus with them, just like the UN/red cross did bring (previously non-existing) cholera to Haiti.

... and thanks for the 6 homes! (RedCross rebuttal)

My bet is on that the rich did it. Just like in south America, where the first contagions were from the rich that went skying in the European Alpes. A half year before it would have reached by the normal routes like commerce and tourists. The househelp then contracted it, and it trickled down to the poor. Poor can't travel, they've got their own problems on how to feed their families. So only the rich remain.

EDIT: moved things around.

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like a long tradition to me. ;)

I can be more specific, though. I'm not trying a programme that makes my cells produce the learning samples, before I have somewhat of an idea of what the programming language in use is capable of. Since I haven't looked into this that much, yet, I know basically nothing in this regards.
If I'm offered a shot of plain inactivated samples, I'll stretch my arm out.
Or if I'll find myself urging to get vaccinated, before that is available, I'd do see that I get a good impression of how those new methods and the technology behind it work and reconsider.
Having looked it up recently. I understand it that way:
The mRNA vaccine tells your body (via mRNA) to produce the proteins found in the outer layer of the virus (ie. the stuff that doesn't do anything except protect the virus).
This triggers a response from your immune system which will produce antibodies against those proteins.
Next time you're exposed to the actual virus, while your immune system hasn't seen the "nasty" parts of the virus, it will recognize the outer layer and still try to kill the virus.

These vaccines vary in efficacy because designing the mRNA is difficult. Basically, J&J spent more time fine-tuning their mRNA recipe, making it look more like authentic Covid-19 bits.

Having looked it up recently. I understand it that way:
The mRNA vaccine tells your body (via mRNA) to produce the proteins found in the outer layer of the virus (ie. the stuff that doesn't do anything except protect the virus).
This triggers a response from your immune system which will produce antibodies against those proteins.
Next time you're exposed to the actual virus, while your immune system hasn't seen the "nasty" parts of the virus, it will recognize the outer layer and still try to kill the virus.

These vaccines vary in efficacy because designing the mRNA is difficult. Basically, J&J spent more time fine-tuning their mRNA recipe, making it look more like authentic Covid-19 bits.
Yes, and I understand that mRNA is some kind of code snippet that gets processed by some part of one's cells. The question is how accurate is the production process for that mRNA and if there are errors what can they potentially lead to. And is there more information needed in the mRNA than just the description of the protein to build - if so, what sneaky bugs could potentially be in there.
For information, I believe there is a dedicated Covid thread in the off-topic section.
And you call yourself chaotic neutral?

Last edited:
All curves so different:

And spikes start when vaccination starts? (At least, for Seychelles)

That graph also shows the resolution of the plot dramatically improves as soon as the curve starts to go significantly up; switch to Log view to see this more clearly. Seems to me they've been ramping up decent testing since about new year, and the more they look the more they find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back