COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
President Biden's COVID-19 relief bill passed earlier today.

I am now going to have $1400 with which to relieve myself. Any suggestions?

Am I the only one noticing that one of the untested vaccines is pulled off all over Europe because of schnormal secondary effects ?

Am I the only one noticing that one of the untested vaccines is pulled off all over Europe because of schnormal secondary effects ?
It does seem a bit odd; ~30 cases out of ~5,000,000 doses administered?

It does seem a bit odd; ~30 cases out of ~5,000,000 doses administered?
Yes, seen thus it looks like much noise for nothing. Australia and others seem to keep happily vaccinating with AstraZeneca.
I guess it's because there aren't many days between getting the dose and showing clots in those 30 cases, but I'd need more data (and knowledge) to tell if that is still random. There're only 365 days in a year. How many cases of clots does normally one see in a year ?
How many people in 5 milion get thrombosis within 10 days of their birthday any normal year?
If I look for conspiracy theories I might also go the other way. There were some studies last week suggesting 80% efficacy in preventing asymptomatic COVID-19 for Pfizer/BioNTech (and that's assumed to mean in preventing contagion). I think it was an unreviwed paper from the manufacturer. They have privileged data sets of something like all clinical records from Israel (they got them in exchage of sending -expensive- doses there earlier). I wonder how are they going to review that paper. The peers won't have access to the whole dataset, so if the Pfizer researchers wanted to pick and choose a favourable subset, I wonder who could catch them redhanded. Coincidentally also last week there started to be media noise about the cheapest competitor, Astrazeneca, and their alledged unlisted thrombosis effects. There was already background reluctance in Germany about AstraZeneca. If it was a spin campaign, which doesn't have to be, it might be sound or it might be just spontaneus hysteria, but if it were viral (pun intended) misinformation, cui prodest ?
I prefer not to draw conclusions. I think this time I'm going to believe whatever EMA says tomorrow (I'm fortunate enough to be low risk and so I'm still far from any personal decision on vaccines).

In the news here, they mention that Macron was saying this vaccine was worse than useless only a few weeks ago. That also say that the number of thromboses after taking the vaccine are actually lower than you'd expect in the general (unvaccinated) population per member of population and time.

Yeah, but only on secondary news channels, not the primary one. Something about Italy in the forefront of 11 European countries and Netherlands stopped vaccination until end of march.
On the primary news channels we get that Amnesty International said that the Dutch Police Units are using excessive force for the anti-government protests (they started 1/2 hour earlier than agreed and closed off all exit routes... then the hitting began)

Another interesting idea I read is:

Moderna's top scientist: 'We are actually hacking the software of life' Dr. Tal Zaks, the chief medical officer at Moderna Inc., explained in a 2017 TED talk how the company's mRNA vaccine was designed to work.

Welcome to Moderna. We believe mRNA is the "software of life." Every cell in the body uses mRNA to provide real-time instructions to make the proteins necessary to drive all aspects of biology, including in human health and disease.

source: https://www.modernatx.com/about-us

That also say that the number of thromboses after taking the vaccine are actually lower than you'd expect in the general (unvaccinated) population per member of population and time.
Lol, that was said by a big pharma salesman. (article's end)

He also said that many vaccinated people have seen their lottery chances to win increased.

I just can't believe how much the believers can swallow...

To me it feels like a case where one government decided to do it for some reason and all the others felt like if they didn't and it turned out they ought to do it, they'd get in trouble.

To me it feels like a case where one government decided to do it for some reason and all the others felt like if they didn't and it turned out they ought to do it, they'd get in trouble.
It sounds like the old "could you kill one person to potentially save a hundred" moral dilemma. There's no easy answer, and I don't believe that drugs companies would really want that negative stigma over their heads either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back