Countdown To November 30th!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the final countdown!!! Dun na na na, Dun na nah nah nah, Dun na na na, Dun na na nat nat na na nahh!!!!!!!

(Sorry, had to. And for anyone who has seen the horrid show the Spelling Bee with Joey Fat One, they would sing just the begining of this song before their little show ending game and it was the only good part of the show.)

Eniko said:
Racemaniac said:
RedStar1949 said:
Well I think that stuff gets quoted for weeks because there aren't enough updates... or when there are it's hard to find them because they're buried in this forum. More needs to be posted on the blog regularly.
yeah ^^
why wouldn't the figure of 600 lcd's keep getting quoted, if there's no update to it?
it's the most accurate guess we got, so i don't see what's wrong with quoting it

"Okay, now we have 601"
"Now we have 602..."
"603..."
"604..."
"605..."

Yes, the above is hyperbole but in a way that's exactly what you're asking them to do. The quoted number had no relevance besides giving you an indication of how far along they already were at that time. The big thing was where they said "they're delayed and coming in slowly but there is no problem yet". The important part was not that they had 640, and assuming they still only have 640 is in direct conflict with the important message being sent.

So yes, it is a bit foolish to want continuous updates on the number of LCDs they have in. The update was "they're coming slower but for now we're still on target" and that should remain true until an update is posted where they say "okay, now we're no longer on target". That is the quotable part, not the "640".

This is the first time conversation along this line is finally getting to me, so for the love of all that is holy, learn some reading comprehension and stop fixating on a random bit of information with no relevance over the messages that are.

your hyperbole is as you say a hyberbole...
the quoted number can be useful, if we can see the rate at which they arrive, it can be interesting to see when all lcd's will arrive. and you're ofcourse right that they can't be expected to on daily base give out detailed numbers/statistics/estimates/progress reports. but to give some more info than they currently are about the progress (and more so, in a structured way, not deeply buried in threads in various forums), would be nice and imo very possible...

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you create a formula for different delivery rates? Would be very interesting from the point of view of a statistician.

I will stick to the transgender-thread for now, far more interesting. Good night, everybody :)

My point was that you know that the number of LCDs is going to change over time. You do not know that their statement that - despite slow delivery - they're still on target is going to change over time. In fact, until they say otherwise there is no real reason to assume that that statement is not still true and quotable. Yet everyone quotes the number that they know is no longer true and nobody quotes the part where they tell us everything is fine which likely is still true.

Why is that? To me it smacks of kidding yourself into seeing a problem where there is none.

Eniko said:
(...) Yet everyone quotes the number that they know is no longer true and nobody quotes the part where they tell us everything is fine which likely is still true.(...)
well, to me the 640 quote means that we know that they already have at least 640 LCDs and most probably more, so that is not an obstacle to start the first shipments.

Of course being quite sure to be in the first 1000 orders, if not the first 640, probably explains part of this half-full-glass approach of mine :)

CC_machine said:
Wooo, looking forward to the (tentative) date...

10!

(days remaining)
:pandora1:

:lol:

Mathematically you have just stated there are 3, 628, 800 days left before we get it i.e. 10! which is 10x9x8x7x6x5x4x3x2x1

Lets hope you are wrong

(this post is meant in jest)

Forums > View New Posts > and scan for posts by either dev team members or members that have credibility. Doesn't seem all that difficult to me.

as nobody has said it yet...

9! :p

or should i say "9"! to whoever pointed out that 10! means the factorial.

and yes, i have heard the "LCD delivery is slower than should be, we may not have enough in time" but they said they are on target and they had 640 LCDs already(more by now). At least some Pandoras should be delivered on time, provided the team are on shedule in other areas. are the wifi antenna & hinge finalised yet?

CC_machine said:
as nobody has said it yet...

9! :p

or should i say "9"! to whoever pointed out that 10! means the factorial.

and yes, i have heard the "LCD delivery is slower than should be, we may not have enough in time" but they said they are on target and they had 640 LCDs already(more by now). At least some Pandoras should be delivered on time, provided the team are on shedule in other areas. are the wifi antenna & hinge finalised yet?
Mweston also pointed out that at first the batches will be smaller, until they are sure the manufacturing process isn't producing too many duds. So they will trickle out of the factory at first, and then gain momentum as manufacturing problems are found and remedied.

I don't quite get all the pedantic posts s on here sometimes.
It isn't actually going to slow down production at all to post updates, doesn't hurt you if they are posted, and if you aren't bothered you don't need to read them.
On the other hand, people aren't entitled to constant updates either (Although honestly, it was pretty much implied right up until the preorders were processed that there would be...), Nobodys gonna be all that suprised if it comes out in January, so lets all give it till then before getting worked up.

The sooner people realise that their personal opinion isn't the only truth the better.
Telling someone to piss off and shut up isn't going to put their fears at rest. And it isn't going to help the Open Pandora project if half the preorders pull out and spend their money on netbooks.
Remember theres around 4000 Pandoras preordered, theres nowhere near that many posting on here, so I'd consider it VERY risky either side of the great divide to assume they are the dominant one.
I can appreciate people not wanting pointless questions fillijng up the forum, but the 30th is nearing, and its only gonna get worse!

Everybody should just take a chill pill and relax! We've got a few big updates coming apparantly, so lets all just sit on our hands and wait!

Actually.... thinking about it, maybe the moderate, level headed posters on here should make a push for dominancy :D

SOLGarion said:
It's the final countdown!!! Dun na na na, Dun na nah nah nah, Dun na na na, Dun na na nat nat na na nahh!!!!!!!

(Sorry, had to. And for anyone who has seen the horrid show the Spelling Bee with Joey Fat One, they would sing just the begining of this song before their little show ending game and it was the only good part of the show.)
this made me laugh out loud and spit chocolate milk all over my laptop

I expected to be able to order by my birthday (end of august), but I'm ok. The way I see it, as soon as it's the 30th, it could arrive anytime. It's kind of like when you wait for the bus, and you know it's probably coming 10 minutes late, because it always does, but you can expect it as soon as it's supposed to be there, which makes the wait less horrible (or more)

So yeah, I'm quite thrilled it's december soon.

Kyosys said:
I expected to be able to order by my birthday (end of august), but I'm ok. The way I see it, as soon as it's the 30th, it could arrive anytime. It's kind of like when you wait for the bus, and you know it's probably coming 10 minutes late, because it always does, but you can expect it as soon as it's supposed to be there, which makes the wait less horrible (or more)

So yeah, I'm quite thrilled it's december soon.
i think you are going to be let down

I was away for a few days... Was the Pandora delayed or something? Why December now?

lobski said:
I was away for a few days... Was the Pandora delayed or something? Why December now?
In the refund mail was a hint to a delay to december and now there has been released some more news. The last post by MWeston is very informative, Chip pinned a new sticky with new info and I've translated some posts by Evil Dragon from the German board available in the Translations Thread.

I really hope we don't get too much of a delay, I'd like to show off this device at christmas.

mali said:
lobski said:
In the refund mail was a hint to a delay to december and now there has been released some more news. The last post by MWeston is very informative, Chip pinned a new sticky with new info and I've translated some posts by Evil Dragon from the German board available in the Translations Thread.

Link plox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back