Connecting OpenPandora to school internet

I have this dream, being able to surf the internet while on school.

However, in this time being it is not possible.

The wireless at the school requires a school computer (or some weird hack).

So here is my retarded idea I am hoping would work:

1. Connecting a wireless router (with a wire) to their server.
  2. edit the routers setting to my own preferences
  3. connect without needing a school computer (I am not allowed to use them, they banned me from them -.-') but rather any computer with the password to my router.

So here is the question, Will it block the OpenPandora even If it is my router on their server?

Go on, flame my retardation.

The wireless at school is probably a VPN or maybe only provides access to wireless devices having certain MACs, besides, there might be a proxy there and whatnot. Inspect network settings at that special school computer, maybe that might give you a clue. Buy your admin some beer. Use Pandora's bluetooth to surf via GPRS/EDGE, to my opinion it's enough for plain surfing and the setup is straightforward.

The wireless at school is probably a VPN or maybe only provides access to wireless devices having certain MACs, besides, there might be a proxy there and whatnot. Inspect network settings at that special school computer, maybe that might give you a clue. Buy your admin some beer. Use Pandora's bluetooth to surf via GPRS/EDGE, to my opinion it's enough for plain surfing and the setup is straightforward.
So I will need to buy a little network for myself. seems expensive, but definitively worth it.

For me it seems like just living on my allowance isn't enough and that I need to work more than once a month for affording this (and possibly more?).

I think it is VPN so I should give up on this, but we have many routers so I'll try it once.

One last question: We have the possibility to plugin a lan cable on our school network in every room. Will it disable me from using a cable too or can I use the Pandora for a wired connection?

now if you excuse me, I am going to play with my retardation some more.

You should be able to buy a router and plug it into the wired port. Depending on the router it should just work.

You should be able to buy a router and plug it into the wired port. Depending on the router it should just work.
Ignoring what Hoodoo said, I can use a router just fine if plugged to school network? (you know these damn blockers and firewalls...)

You probably could use your wired connection if you got yourself a usb->ethernet adapter, compatible models are listed in wiki.

Thanks guys, any additional information for a mentally challenged person (not really) like me would be helpful.

edit: I am retarded, I can't find it xD

Last edited:
Jacking your own wifi router into a wired port somewhere and leaving it there would probably get you into trouble if they found it and figured out who you were. I assume you're not getting permission from anyone to jack the sucker in, right?

I mean, just so you know .. you go into a _company_ and jack an unauthorized wifi router in for yourself (creating a back door), that lands you in jail. A school would likely just reprimand you, but still. ie: Now that you've gone and posted your intention online and all ;)

Get a data plan on your phone and tether it, maybe; cost big $$ though.

jeff

(okay okay, I'll admit, when I was in highschool I was a punk ass brat doing phone freaking. Theres an age for mischief, but I just have to point out the obvious in case it hadn't occurred to him ;)

Jacking your own wifi router into a wired port somewhere and leaving it there would probably get you into trouble if they found it and figured out who you were. I assume you're not getting permission from anyone to jack the sucker in, right?

I mean, just so you know .. you go into a _company_ and jack an unauthorized wifi router in for yourself (creating a back door), that lands you in jail. A school would likely just reprimand you, but still. ie: Now that you've gone and posted your intention online and all ;)

jeff

(okay okay, I'll admit, when I was in highschool I was a punk ass brat doing phone freaking. Theres an age for mischief, but I just have to point out the obvious in case it hadn't occurred to him ;)
They won't find it unless the server is down, which it never is.

If you don't have a phone to tether to, how about a personal mi-fi type device? More expense yes, but no risk involved and at least you have mobile internet on your Pandora wherever you go on or off campus and aren't tethered to a LAN cable. Plus your friends can use the same mi-fi aswell, so you'll be more popular into the bargain :) You maybe able to get a pay as you go type set-up, so no contract needed either.

If you don't have a phone to tether to, how about a personal mi-fi type device? More expense yes, but no risk involved and at least you have mobile internet on your Pandora wherever you go on or off campus and aren't tethered to a LAN cable. Plus your friends can use the same mi-fi aswell, so you'll be more popular into the bargain :) You maybe able to get a pay as you go type set-up, so no contract needed either.
But I want payment from the "noobs" at school to use it.

I really just want it to be FREE.

jeff

Chances are no one will find it, but they might. Plan for that occurance. Like, tlaking about it on public internet, and talking about it with your friends, means lots of leaks already ;)

Note also that if you plan to charge other people access.. now you're talking about making an unauthorized backdoor into a system (security risk to _everyone else_ on the system, both faculty and all students.. all pranks are selfish by definition), which is not legal.. you're also talking about profiting from it. Again, a school probably wouldnt' press charges, but they _could_, and those are some semi serious ones. ie: The poor schlub who runs the network there is probably not a dedicated network guy, he's probably some teacher or general faculty guy watching it as one of 300 other jobs, so he's not really on top of things .. easy to get in behind him, and he might even turn a blind eye. But if he does find it, he gets in trouble and embarassed, and it costs the school time to shut it down and figure out what the impact was (they don't know its probably nothing, and could well be something if you or your friends get virusses all over the place).. theres suddenly real $$ cost to the school, in wages and time and legals (they have to audit, make sure no one was stealing credit cards or stealing student credentials .. you know with stalkers and such, they take this shit seriously. They don't know its some kid just trying to have some fun and sneak in between the cracks, they have to assume its some rapist :p )

I mean, at your age you're not taking anythign seriously, but consider if you get caught, those sorts of thigns will be on your record for quite some time, and you'll want to get a job someday; if your job is in a ethical workplace such as software or engineering or medical or the like, you might be fat out of luck.

(By example, theres a latrge profile case in the US right now, where a guy went into the wiring closet, jacked in his laptop, copied a bunch of files he woudl normally have to pay for, and then gave them away; really nothign morally wrong with it, but still illegal. He's in a _lot_ of trouble right now. You're talking more or less the sme thing, but at highschool level instead of college/university.)

I know I'm sound like an old fart here, but.. fight the man, break the rules, we all do.. but this is one of those things that soujnds minor, but could have repercussions, so best avoided. Its not like parking illegally and you just get a ticket :) (And yes, we all do stuff like this; hacking libraries to get full acess through thei rnetwork, its all fun and games. But opening up a backdoor, thats a little more serious..)

jeff

Do NOT connect your router if you are doing DHCP on the wired network, it will mess up the entire school (probably).

I know plenty of cases where people F-ed up the entire local network with clashing DHCP-routers. Be very careful of this.

Do NOT connect your router if you are doing DHCP on the wired network, it will mess up the entire school (probably).
Only if you're plugging into the schools network as if it were a client. Plug the network into the routers WAN port and you've got no problems (other than configuration)

jeff

Chances are no one will find it, but they might. Plan for that occurance. Like, tlaking about it on public internet, and talking about it with your friends, means lots of leaks already ;)

Note also that if you plan to charge other people access.. now you're talking about making an unauthorized backdoor into a system (security risk to _everyone else_ on the system, both faculty and all students.. all pranks are selfish by definition), which is not legal.. you're also talking about profiting from it. Again, a school probably wouldnt' press charges, but they _could_, and those are some semi serious ones. ie: The poor schlub who runs the network there is probably not a dedicated network guy, he's probably some teacher or general faculty guy watching it as one of 300 other jobs, so he's not really on top of things .. easy to get in behind him, and he might even turn a blind eye. But if he does find it, he gets in trouble and embarassed, and it costs the school time to shut it down and figure out what the impact was (they don't know its probably nothing, and could well be something if you or your friends get virusses all over the place).. theres suddenly real $$ cost to the school, in wages and time and legals (they have to audit, make sure no one was stealing credit cards or stealing student credentials .. you know with stalkers and such, they take this shit seriously. They don't know its some kid just trying to have some fun and sneak in between the cracks, they have to assume its some rapist :p )

I mean, at your age you're not taking anythign seriously, but consider if you get caught, those sorts of thigns will be on your record for quite some time, and you'll want to get a job someday; if your job is in a ethical workplace such as software or engineering or medical or the like, you might be fat out of luck.

(By example, theres a latrge profile case in the US right now, where a guy went into the wiring closet, jacked in his laptop, copied a bunch of files he woudl normally have to pay for, and then gave them away; really nothign morally wrong with it, but still illegal. He's in a _lot_ of trouble right now. You're talking more or less the sme thing, but at highschool level instead of college/university.)

I know I'm sound like an old fart here, but.. fight the man, break the rules, we all do.. but this is one of those things that soujnds minor, but could have repercussions, so best avoided. Its not like parking illegally and you just get a ticket :) (And yes, we all do stuff like this; hacking libraries to get full acess through thei rnetwork, its all fun and games. But opening up a backdoor, thats a little more serious..)

jeff
Old fart indeed, but I wouldn't leak it like that.

"No, I swear it is my network. I paid for it myself"

I'm going to retire from this thread; its just so not with my nature to discourage tinkering; gotta tinker gotta hack, its in our blood. For some reason this particular thread resonates with me, to try and encourage safer hacking at school. Guess since my little girl just went to school now (3 days :) I'm feeling all responsible or something ;)

Disgusting, better stop while I'm ahead ;)

jeff

Just be lucky that your school wasn't behind the times like mine.. I graduated high school in the late 90's we still used IBM 3279 dumb terminals. we sort of had school email (internal to school only) using this ancient VM/CMS application. our school's library did had two Windows 3.1 computers that had dialup internet via winsock and Netscape.. which even back then felt dated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plug the network into the routers WAN port and you've got no problems (other than configuration)
Not all access-points have a WAN-port.

Fonera-APs for instance. If the Fonera is configured incorrectly, it will try to give DHCP-leases to anything it finds.

Back