Concerns Regarding Pyra Branding

Shenmue are you he?
If I'm the monkey, you are that man who gets slapped by his own monkey for your arragance :D

You said you can do it better, but the stuff you proposed are crapped.  Also you stated your objective  is complain about the name and the logo, but then you also complain about the price/cost.  So which is it?  Make up your mind or face another slap from that monkey :p

That's fair, I'm a perfectionist and one thing that I always loved about the GP2X is that it turned heads was admired by all who interacted with it
pfff, present us with something better then...

I like the name, the logo is ok. What I think the pyra needs most is a theme. But really I don't the f**k care because is open source. You can customise that thing yourself. I'l do exactly that and share my theme/s with other. You want fastfood out of the box? try Apple and join the zombies. I'm sure everybody aknowlades your superior taste then ; )

All I'm saying is don't rant about others work, especially when that stuff, they're doing is free for you and given with a friendly smile. On top of that you make a poor first impression and don't even have anything to show except you criticism. How is that not trolling?

Greetings purplegoat :)

As has already been said, no harm in suggesting other options for fonts, I'd guess the choice there could change up to just before release really.

However, would you really consider not getting a Pyra because of the branding?

Not like there's m/any alternatives out there eh?

I'm thinking like my telly, which is an LG and I actually happen to like their pacman styled logo... But even if it was proper lame, I'd have still got it because it's a sweet telly :)

As you an artist by trade, have you ever created font sets?

I do think it would be great if Pyra had its own font

Reactions: moz
Pyra (price) and the branding is so bad I'm leaning toward not getting it.
Why ? I can understand people not liking the name or the logo - its not my cup of tea either. And its nice of you trying to offer your professionell experience, but why on some supernatural beeings green earth do you need to say something so abysmally stupid ??

Never liked the name pyra. It sounds silly but we are stuck with, it seems. And yes the font could do with some work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the name "pyra", and it does roll off the tongue well. Ditto for the dp logo.

On the other hand, I think there are better fonts than the one used at the top of the forum.

all males I interacted with as a teenage boy**
All the people i interacted with from the age of 17-29, who were all male, I am not kidding myself ***

something randomly generated would probably be better. I'm saying I can design something better, not make a better name. And I feel that's fair because clearly no one on this board is an artist

I'm saying after the fact it doesn't settle nicely. I'm trying to bring back to attention something which I feel shouldn't have been accepted
But we are all autists, and you are no more of an artist than what you can post. Thus far we can all see what kind of an OP this OP is.

What can you do with the name you are given, that is the challenge.

something randomly generated would probably be better. I'm saying I can design something better, not make a better name. And I feel that's fair because clearly no one on this board is an artist
I like people who claim by themselves to be artists.

Nothing like that to shoot down your credibility in one second.

sup guys, thanks for the extra flame, truly in the spirit of Pyra! 

I've attached a semi final suggestion for a redesign. This is my last post and suggestion unless responding. I'm happy to take notes on it, or try something out if anyone is curious, and if ED decides he likes it I of course will make a vector for him.

just to clarify one thing regarding the specific criticism I'm seeing: I am a professional artist. I'm not saying I'm an artist, master artist, visionary or whatever. it's like saying I'm a plumber, it's not a debate, I get paid to make assets for video games. 

also to answer an earlier question, I have never made a font set, it's very time consuming and not my main field.

lastly, sorry I came in so offensively. I really meant well and only wanted to help, I think it's important that open source projects should rival their commercial counterparts to grow the open source scene.

pyralogore3.png

You see! That's much better and although, I prefer the one I've quoted down the bottom I must say that your new one is HOT (no pun intended). It's very pastel-like (Yoshi's Island) and original.

9 outta 10! :)

Btw, what was your username on the GP2X boards?

Also, I don't think TelcoLou is around anymore. :(

IMO the font is ugly but it's one of the best if you want to include "dragonbox" that's why I wanted "dragonbox" to be removed since before "Pyra" was chosen because it's useless and cumbersome.

BTW my favorite font (philosopher):

140424112819313248.png

thank you! if it was unclear, in a final version all lines would be vector paths and see a more similar (clean treatment). that was just a sketch.

what do you prefer in your quoted image?

I think I remember your name actually, I was purple_goat. not an influential member, I was 12 at the time. I made an icon back in Flash MX way back when.

you may, however, remember me from my various visual identification:

goat2xicon.gif

pgbanner-1.png

:p

I don't think TelcoLou is around either  :( I remember him creating his departure thread and I've always been curious what happened to him. 

That bottom logo loses the clarity of letterforms though for me... Not seeing the dp in it. It reminds me of something else too but not sure what. Maybe Nescafe Gold Blend adverts, which used to show a coffee bean like that?

The font Sony and kiga have posted here is ok, like the little serif flick on top of Y and base of R...

...but the A looks backwards to me, to suit the other 3 letters shouldn't the left line be heavier?

Or would then the right line look strange as the closing line perhaps?

thank you! if it was unclear, in a final version all lines would be vector paths and see a more similar (clean treatment). that was just a sketch.

what do you prefer in your quoted image?

I think I remember your name actually, I was purple_goat. not an influential member, I was 12 at the time. I made an icon back in Flash MX way back when.

you may, however, remember me from my various visual identification:

I don't think TelcoLou is around either  :( I remember him creating his departure thread and I've always been curious what happened to him.
I still love everything, even after FZERO's thoughts on it, which are very interesting mind you.

As for yours, well, I know it's it's too late for this project but I wouldn't mind seeing your final for it anyway.

I hope TelcoLou is doing well and is healthy.

the bottom icon I just made the dp in a flame. I personally don't feel it needs the double meaning.

I'm not curating the other font but here's the A flipped. also with a little flag, I don't love the font overall because it locks you into that puzzle with the A. it's too deliberate up through there and I can't think of a good way to resolve it.

edit:

I hope he's well too. I may do a final render of it later but that process is very time consuming in my experience (rendering letterforms is very precise).

edit 2:

actually, the flag on the outside of the A works pretty well. that could be the ticket..

1404241128193132482.png

1404241128193132482tag.png

1404241128193132483.png

Back