Coming closer (2010-10-25)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Well, we just got some new timeline for the further production of the new nubs.

As promised a week ago, basically everything is setup for mass production.

The sample run will happen during the next days and these parts will ALL be inspected to work.

(Remember that a lot of nubs didn't work properly from the very beginning? We don't want that to happen again.)

After that, some sample is being sent to Michael (probably end of this week / beginning of next week).

If he approves it, then the real mass production run can start, which should only take a 1 - 1,5 weeks until all needed nubs have been produced.

Let's hope the board procuction company is on par with the nubs, and then delivery should resume again - and hopefully way faster than before (well, it all depends on the board company, as we've already setup everything we can so far).

sweet action, so long do they/you think it will take to get the sample run to Michael to get his approval for mass production?

sweet action, so long do they/you think it will take to get the sample run to Michael to get his approval for mass production?

He doesn't get a full run, only a few samples. The parts have to go from US to Canada, so it shouldn't take longer than 1 - 3 days.

Thank you for the update on the nubs ED, glad to see the nub company aren't as elusive as the board company.

Do you know when the rest of the batch 1 cases are supposed to arrive in England by ship?

We're all hoping that the board company have done right by us all. Thanks for the constant updates, it's really appreciated.

He doesn't get a full run, only a few samples. The parts have to go from US to Canada, so it shouldn't take longer than 1 - 3 days.

Could you explain the purpose of this? If it was something like the cases, I'd understand an extra delay for making sure everything fits/works/is up to snuff. But what can we really tell from a few sample nubs? That they pass 400k cycles was already determined at the factory, and I doubt mweston will confirm this independently. Otherwise, what are we checking? That they look clean? That their action is smooth?

At the end of last week, you'd said maybe 1-1.5 weeks to be soldered in Texas. () You've just added on an extra week (e.g. if approved at the beginning of next week, 1-1.5 weeks before arrival in Texas).

In fact, you'd said it at the beginning of last week, too:

Is there some new holdup?

so bout 2 weeks till the nubs are done,

a couple weeks for the nubs to be soldered on and shipped back to uk

a couple weeks for assembly into completed pandoras

a couple weeks for shipping to your shop then out to customers

...why does it always feel like it's 2 months away regardless of what step we are in the process?

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you explain the purpose of this? If it was something like the cases, I'd understand an extra delay for making sure everything fits/works/is up to snuff. But what can we really tell from a few sample nubs? That they pass 400k cycles was already determined at the factory, and I doubt mweston will confirm this independently. Otherwise, what are we checking? That they look clean? That their action is smooth?

Yep, that their action is smooth. The mould and the material has changed, they can't simply massproduce those things without having an approval (they sure won't do this after what happened so far).

At the end of last week, you'd said maybe 1-1.5 weeks to be soldered in Texas. () You've just added on an extra week (e.g. if approved at the beginning of next week, 1-1.5 weeks before arrival in Texas).

I said that mass production will be setup in about a week, and that's what happened.

The only difference now is that there will be a test run (which absolutely makes sense before producing thousands of them, especially as the last mass produced ones had a failure rate of 20%) and they want to ship some samples to Michael for a final approval (which also makes sense).

To be honest, I totally forgot that they should make a test run and send some samples to Michael, too.

They COULD start now, but it probably would be unsafe.

In fact, you'd said it at the beginning of last week, too:

Well, to be exact, the testing run IS already a mass production run, so it wouldn't even be wrong, but as said above: I forgot about the testrun when I posted.

Is there some new holdup?

Nope, but you can blame me for forgetting the test run :)

Shouldn't have happened, but I guess it CAN happen if you're too stressed...

Just to be cautious, are they/we sure that the new type of rubber/silicone/polymer they use "ages" well?

400k movements in a week is very different than 400k movements over a span of 3-5 years where whatever rubber/silicone/polymer they use has had time to cure and dry potentially well beyond the basic curing and drying.

It would be a shame to have a rubber that fails after exposure to UV (many are vulnerable), temperature variance (hot summer days oups, I left it in the sun for an hour), or that after 6 months of drying/curing becomes harder, brittle or cracky...

It would perhaps be wise to ask them the question.

Just to be cautious, are they/we sure that the new type of rubber/silicone/polymer they use "ages" well?

400k movements in a week is very different than 400k movements over a span of 3-5 years where whatever rubber/silicone/polymer they use has had time to cure and dry potentially well beyond the basic curing and drying.

It would be a shame to have a rubber that fails after exposure to UV (many are vulnerable), temperature variance (hot summer days oups, I left it in the sun for an hour), or that after 6 months of drying/curing becomes harder, brittle or cracky...

It would perhaps be wise to ask them the question.

Well, the new material is silicone, which survives from -60°C to 300°C, so it should be pretty robust.

It's basically the same silicone used in automotive technologies (i.e. for brakes, etc.)

Yep, that their action is smooth. The mould and the material has changed, they can't simply massproduce those things without having an approval (they sure won't do this after what happened so far).

I said that mass production will be setup in about a week, and that's what happened.

The only difference now is that there will be a test run (which absolutely makes sense before producing thousands of them, especially as the last mass produced ones had a failure rate of 20%) and they want to ship some samples to Michael for a final approval (which also makes sense).

To be honest, I totally forgot that they should make a test run and send some samples to Michael, too.

They COULD start now, but it probably would be unsafe.

Well, to be exact, the testing run IS already a mass production run, so it wouldn't even be wrong, but as said above: I forgot about the testrun when I posted.

Nope, but you can blame me for forgetting the test run :)

Shouldn't have happened, but I guess it CAN happen if you're too stressed...

A good explanation. Works for me. Thanks!

Well, the new material is silicone, which survives from -60°C to 300°C, so it should be pretty robust.

It's basically the same silicone used in automotive technologies (i.e. for brakes, etc.)
Can I ask one thing -

the nubs is hard soldered to motherboard or made on any sockets for easy replace if brake? maybe OpenPandora LTD will invent in future even more reliable good nubs and can sell it separately for people who have troubles with nubs?

sorry bad english :huh:

Consider me reassured. Thanks for the answer! B)

Can I ask one thing -

the nubs is hard soldered to motherboard or made on any sockets for easy replace if brake? maybe OpenPandora LTD will invent in future even more reliable good nubs and can sell it separately for people who have troubles with nubs?

sorry bad english :huh:

At the moment, they are hard soldered, but the company is already working on new versions that can simply be pulled out and replaced.

This takes a while, so it won't make it into the first batch, but they are the same size and pin compatible, so if a Batch 1 nub breaks in the future, you can get one of the new ones which sits in a socket :)

It's still in development, so nothing can be said for sure, but the concept design exists already and the company wants to work on this as soon as the current nubs are in mass production.

EvilDragon

Thanks for answer!

i'm order few days ago, so i hope my Pandora will have new nubs :) on-a-socket nubs will be greatest thing!

and batch 2 will probably start next year... waaah!

I guess so, too, sadly.

But there's not much we can do if the companies don't speed up and keep up their promises :(

Well, if Batch 2 works out with a different company, it should at least be produced way faster :)

At the moment, they are hard soldered, but the company is already working on new versions that can simply be pulled out and replaced.

This takes a while, so it won't make it into the first batch, but they are the same size and pin compatible, so if a Batch 1 nub breaks in the future, you can get one of the new ones which sits in a socket :)

It's still in development, so nothing can be said for sure, but the concept design exists already and the company wants to work on this as soon as the current nubs are in mass production.
Awesome :) Being as there's no chance whatsoever of my getting a batch 1 Pandy, this means that mine will certainly have replaceable nubs. Given that we can/will be able to order spares, I'll be able to order a spare set of plug-in nubs with my Pandy just in case. Fantastic :)

So if everything is good right now does that mean that shipping the Pandoras would probably start up again late November/ early December? :D

If so I was wondering if it isn't to late change my shipping method to UPS. (Didn't have the money at the time I ordered otherwise I would've then)

Back