Release Cocoa-DOOM

Is there a way to set the brightness ? For me it's a bit too dark.

Yes, with F11 key. It won't work when using the regular launch menu. You can run "Chocolate versions setup" choose the game you want to adjust brightness and use "Save parameters and launch DOOM". This will start the game without scaling where F11 can be used without problems. Thanks for the pointer. In future releases I'll add some key mappping to solve this. [EDIT: Didn't worked for me because I have changed the default pause key, F11 key should work fine by default].

Last edited by a moderator:
I played around a bit with this Doom-port, and it works really well! Just got WolfenDOOM to work with it :)

Took me a bit to figure out what exactly I have to add to game_list, but I like the simple concept of it. Only problem I found is that pressing Fn pauses the game ... makes things like pressing Caps Lock for running or Tab for the map a bit weird. Probably I can change this in the options?

Apart from that the default controls are great though!

I still have to play around with it a bit more, but this will probably become my default port for Doom ^_^

What is the best setup for utilising the full screen? Looks like I have to use prboom then, but what are the recommended settings for output resolution and video scaling?

Thank you for testing and thank you for kind words. In the future I'm thinking in switching the menu to gtk or something better. But I'm probably keeping the data structure of the game_list file (It reminds me of how I used to launch doom). The pause key issue is quite annoying. But you can configure almost every key using the option "chocolate versions setup", there you can choose the game to setup the keyboard (some keys are only shown in the advanced options).

Regarding video options, you have output resolution and video scaling (which you can choose from the launcher). Scaling refers to how the SDL from Notaz behave. It is how the video is going to be "shaped". You can choose fullscreen and video is going to fill the pandora screen regardless of what output resolution are you using. You can choose scaled for an scaled video that reach the border in x or y (whatever comes first). You can choose 640x480 which is going to shape the video to this resolution and finally there is a pixelperfect option that shapes the output by scaling by integers.

Then you have output resolution: 320x200 (the original res), 640x400 (scaled using scale2x algorithm) and 960x600 (using scale3x algorithm). All of this output resolution are later shaped by Notaz SDL (which means, for example, that you can do fullscreen with any of those). I played using 640x480 scaling and 640x400 (scale2x) output resolution. The scale2x is fast here and give some sharpness to the image and I find the shaping of 640x480 closer to how this games looked back in the day. This settings affects the chocolate versions and prboom that are bundled in the PND (but scale2x and scale3x only works for chocolate versions, never the less you can set filters in prboom aswell using it's own menu).

I hope this helps. If there is something that needs clarifying just let me know.

Ah, cool! I can launch the games full-screen from the setup program, and if I launch them that way, the mouselook works, presumably because it then uses standard SDL, which though technically slower is still plenty fast enough.

All in all this is excellent work, got strife running like a dream now and all games look good with the scaling options. Wouldn't worry too much about the Hexen saving bug its a small issue when it works great with all the other wads i have tried very fun and nicely responsive.

Ah, cool! I can launch the games full-screen from the setup program, and if I launch them that way, the mouselook works, presumably because it then uses standard SDL, which though technically slower is still plenty fast enough.

That's correct. But If you enable joysticks in the setup program you can have "nub-look" which works the same as mouselook and works with Notaz SDL.

@Monkfish

Thank you. I would love to fix the Hexen bug (there is a default savedir for hexen in windows, maybe i can use that). But I'm scared of changing the code too much, making it hard to update when new versions are available (and as for now there is workaround for it). [LOOK FIRST POST!]

@Loonie

I'm quite sure you are using "nub-look" even when launching from setup. Nubs are set to joysticks at pnd launch. :D

Actually, I'm using a Logitech Nano VX mouse. :p

I thought the saving in Hexen worked under cocoa-doom? I need to double-check now.

Actually, I'm using a Logitech Nano VX mouse. :p

Oh man! I forgot about those external devices! ^_^

I can add an option for using x11 driver if you wish, so you won't have to go through setup for using your mouse.

I thought the saving in Hexen worked under cocoa-doom? I need to double-check now.

Hexen can save as long as there is a copy of ./chocolate-doom in HOME folder (nand writes warning here). [LOOK FIRST POST!]

I can add an option for using x11 driver if you wish, so you won't have to go through setup for using your mouse.

Thank you, that would be most useful.

Hexen can save as long as there is a copy of ./chocolate-doom in HOME folder (nand writes warning here). [LOOK FIRST POST!]

Aha. I shall do that very thing.

I was not able to edit the config-files as they (as well as some other files) were owned by root.

Was that just a little issue on my system? Anyway, I solved it by doing a "sudo chown -R lmx:lmx /mnt/utmp/cocoa_doom/data/" while the pnd was mounted. As there are other files that are owned by root you could also do a ""sudo chown -R lmx:lmx /mnt/utmp/cocoa_doom/" instead, but that would create a copy of all files of the pnd in the appdata-folder and would be wasting space. My root-sd is ext4 formated and my pnd-sdcard ext2/3

Beside that I was able to configure all wads from your game_list (screw you for posting it ;) couldn't resist to get them running) except for Mordeth, which always asks for an iwad. And if i specify doom2.wad as iwad, then the game runs but shooting does not work. I had the same problem with Obituary, but managed to get that going with some instructions on the net. I also tried to patch the wads of Mordeth in a similar way with that NWT.EXE, but didn't succeed in getting a working version. Well I was tired at the end. Maybe I did something wrong.

Thanks for the feedback!

I was not able to edit the config-files as they (as well as some other files) were owned by root.

Was that just a little issue on my system? Anyway, I solved it by doing a "sudo chown -R lmx:lmx /mnt/utmp/cocoa_doom/data/" while the pnd was mounted. As there are other files that are owned by root you could also do a ""sudo chown -R lmx:lmx /mnt/utmp/cocoa_doom/" instead, but that would create a copy of all files of the pnd in the appdata-folder and would be wasting space. My root-sd is ext4 formated and my pnd-sdcard ext2/3

I will have to look here for fixing this, it certainly is an inconvenience. Since my pnd card is FAT32 formatted never had any permissions issues.

Beside that I was able to configure all wads from your game_list (screw you for posting it ;) couldn't resist to get them running) except for Mordeth, which always asks for an iwad. And if i specify doom2.wad as iwad, then the game runs but shooting does not work. I had the same problem with Obituary, but managed to get that going with some instructions on the net. I also tried to patch the wads of Mordeth in a similar way with that NWT.EXE, but didn't succeed in getting a working version. Well I was tired at the end. Maybe I did something wrong.

Your guess about the iwad is right, Mordeth depends on doom2.wad. The issue is possibly related to the doom2.wad version, I'm playing it with v1.9. From the following table you can identify your wad version (Mine is 14604584 bytes which matches v1.9).

Doom II v1.666 (250894) DOOM2.WAD 14943400 25-08-94 e2a683bd

Doom II v1.666 (290894) DOOM2.WAD 14824716 29-08-94 c08005f7

Doom II v1.7 DOOM2.WAD 14612688 21-09-94 47daeb2e

Doom II v1.7a DOOM2.WAD 14612688 18-10-94 952f6baa

Doom II v1.9 DOOM2.WAD 14604584 01-02-95 ec8725db

Check for your wad version, if it is not v1.9 then probably that's the issue.

Code:
$ md5sum doom2.wad

25e1459ca71d321525f84628f45ca8cd doom2.wad

According to the doomwiki this is the same version as yours. Did you get your Mordeth-wads from http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=7694? (Note to mods: AFAIK this is a legal download, otherwise I wouldn't post it.) Did you do anything else or just copy them over?

Code:
ls -l mor*

-rw-r--r-- 1 lmx lmx 16832 Dec 20 19:33 mordeth.deh

-rw-r--r-- 1 lmx lmx 3076060 Dec 20 19:33 mordeth.wad

-rw-r--r-- 1 lmx lmx 909841 Dec 20 19:33 morgrap0.wad

Code:
$ md5sum mor*

beaef0277e84744e9d94a143be452592 mordeth.deh

db99fee82e9124ed6e1f009151589f73 mordeth.wad

bb63601a03f1f3720cdc6fcd333a16aa morgrap0.wad

Code:
./chocolate-doom -aa ./morgrap0.wad -file ./mordeth.wad -deh ./mordeth.deh

Game mode indeterminate. No IWAD file was found. Try

specifying one with the '-iwad' command line parameter.

And as mentioned above with the doom2.wad specified via "-iwad", the game starts, but does not work correctly. Or is that some riddle that you are holding a pistol, 50 ammo, but can not shoot? ;)

Did you get your Mordeth-wads from http://www.doomworld...dex.php?id=7694? (Note to mods: AFAIK this is a legal download, otherwise I wouldn't post it.) Did you do anything else or just copy them over?

That's exactly where I get the files (and are the same you are posting). Then I follow this instructions.

Code:
./chocolate-doom -aa ./morgrap0.wad -file ./mordeth.wad -deh ./mordeth.deh

Game mode indeterminate. No IWAD file was found. Try

specifying one with the '-iwad' command line parameter.

This happens because chocolate-doom can't find your doom2.wad. If I add the -iwad doom2.wad to the command line works fine too.

And as mentioned above with the doom2.wad specified via "-iwad", the game starts, but does not work correctly. Or is that some riddle that you are holding a pistol, 50 ammo, but can not shoot? ;)

No riddle here beside of "why doesn't work" :D . No ideas really. When I get home I'm going to set an sd card in ext3 for reproducing this issue. Maybe the patching isn't working because of this.

@Lomaxx

I just tried a quick game of mordeth in my ext2 sd card (the one I use for development) and run just fine. I have the appdata folder set for read and write for myself. Since the -aa command involves patching of doom2.wad, maybe permissions interfere somehow. Try to set read and write permissions recursively for cocoa_doom folder.

Back