2xzdoom V2.2.0: Doom Engine

bman said:
added zdoom selector for people with pwad handicap here.

Thanks, is there anyway to include all things in an archive such as scripts, latest selector, and background so one could just drag and drop into the right place?

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC said:
Thanks, is there anyway to include all things in an archive such as scripts, latest selector, and background so one could just drag and drop into the right place?
ok, done

bman said:
DaveC said:
ok, done

Cool, thanks. Going to test this now.

There seems to be some bugs. I just tried the ordinary Doom1 and Doom2.

After awhile the music freezes and just plays a continuous beep like it froze up. I noticed that the instruments sound different than in regular doom as well. The SFX still work.

There are flickery walls like some that have sections that you can see through.

This is a big problem, I am not sure if maybe something is just not set up right. The problem is that the gun won't shoot to higher sections. So if there is a monster on a pedastal you can't shoot it. That kind of makes the game impossible to play.

If those things were fixed Prboom would no longer be needed. Thanks for the work on this.

One last thing: if I don't want to use timidity, couldn't I just use the -nomusic command? Then I'd have SFX without needing timidity, right? I'd try this myself but right now I'm without my gp2x for a few hours.
In normal Zdoom the sfx and bg music renders are independant, more specifically music is rendered by a seperate executable (timidity)... so its really easy to disable one. In 2xZdoom you can't just disable one, but i could rewrite it to do so.
added zdoom selector for people with pwad handicap here.
Awesome work bman. I hoped some generic gp2x front end existed. Ill add it to first post.
After awhile the music freezes and just plays a continuous beep like it froze up. I noticed that the instruments sound different than in regular doom as well. The SFX still work.
Fixed.
There are flickery walls like some that have sections that you can see through.
I've been looking into this for a while.... and will continue to. It seems to be a bug introduced from moving from X86 to ARM and i dont think it's a memory alignment issue. Has me stumped for the moment.
This is a big problem, I am not sure if maybe something is just not set up right. The problem is that the gun won't shoot to higher sections. So if there is a monster on a pedastal you can't shoot it. That kind of makes the game impossible to play.
Go to Options -> Compatibilty Options and turn on "actors are infinitely tall".
error logging seems to capture gmenu2x log data. Can logging be disabled?
exit seems to be always go to gp2x menu. This breaks a selector option. Can we select a different menu or disable?
I'll add these options (via commandline) in the next version.

Edit: Woops, missed these questions:
I'm having a lot of trouble getting deh or bex patches to work, more specifically Justin Fishers Aliens TC.

I've also tried to load up Goblin but 2xZdoom just crashes out on me. Maybe this is due to the heapsize being set to 8: how far do you think I can pump this up on the gp2x?
Yea, i've had a bit of trouble with a few wads aswell. I'll look into it, One .deh patched wad required me to rename it all lowercase.

The heapsize can be set to approx ~24mb.... i dont think it's your problem though.

Ok thanks for the info.

Thanks for the good work too. This is a great Doom engine version to have.

EDIT:

I just tried the infinite tall thing it doesn't work. It had no effect at all. You can easily tell at the beginning of DoomII in that first room on the left with the blue floor and all of the guys on those platforms in the center. I shoot and all of the shots land in the black areas on the side, nothing hits the guys on top. They were shot easily in PRboom.

Finally grabbed this, thanks so much Adventus & Bman for your efforts. Whether we'll see Goldeneye emulated on Pandora remains to be seen, but for now I'm pretty stoked with Goldeneye Doom on '2X. :D :D

I just tried the infinite tall thing it doesn't work. It had no effect at all. You can easily tell at the beginning of DoomII in that first room on the left with the blue floor and all of the guys on those platforms in the center. I shoot and all of the shots land in the black areas on the side, nothing hits the guys on top. They were shot easily in PRboom.
Alrighty, this worked for me, There's an option in zdoom.ini under "Doom.Player" called "autoaim".... set that to "5000". It describes the z height which the game will automatically aim to. Probably just me being stupid and setting it to zero at some point....

Anyway i'll get back to trying to fix that flickering walls bug....

Adventus said:
Alrighty, this worked for me, There's an option in zdoom.ini under "Doom.Player" called "autoaim".... set that to "5000". It describes the z height which the game will automatically aim to. Probably just me being stupid and setting it to zero at some point....

Anyway i'll get back to trying to fix that flickering walls bug....

It's also in the setup menu (Gameplay Options). I tried these and it did the trick for me.
Smart Autoaim - ON
Allow Freelook - NO

Heres the next update: Download Beta 1.2

Notes/changelog:
- After mammoth 8hr session, fixed the flickering walls bugs.
- Music now loops fine.
- Handles 'cant find timidity' gracefully. Just outputs no audio instead of crashing.
- Added cmd argument "-timidity " so you can specify the location of timidity if it differs from 'mnt/sd/timidity'
- Added cmd argument "-frontend ". After 2xZdoom exits, the file will be executed.
- Added cmd argument "-stdlog", to enable stdout and stderr logging.
- Added Stick click as mappable button. NOT TESTED.
- Sometimes It randomly wont start for a 2nd time without power cycling, It does however work with the selector.... if someone could confirm/deny this it would be good....

Anyway, i guess i'll look into the graphic corruption next (menu font, etc).... a dedicated frontend might also be in order, how does a modified Rage2x/CapeX sound?

Cool thanks for the great work on this. It is shaping up nicely.

Great update Adventus, thanks. The background music is paramount for me, so I'm very happy. Would love to see a Capex style front end!

Wad specific question (Goldeneye): I can't get through the door at the end of the Silo level because there's a yellow thing on the floor. Anyone know what the go is here?

[edit] Goldeneye Doom now displays HUD and correct weapons. Brilliant! Lack of flashing is great too. Now If only I could get past the Silo. :(

Some issues I've noticed:
-Music is still played at full volume upon playing a new song until the slider is changed in the options menu.
-Once the music ends on the main menu, it does the same thing as Beta 1.1's music looping issue did.
-Stick click works fine.

unluckly this port is extremely unstable and bugged at least with Strife :( the real good thing was the possibility to play Strife on it but it's impossible.
First of all, starting a new game will start it at Nightmare mode even if you choose the first one. To bypass that you have to save a game, then download ZDoom for pc, start Strife, save a game here and switch it with the one you made. Even doing this i'm not sure if it will load it in Nightmare or not.
I don't know it because the game just freeze everywhere, i wasn't able to reach even the first mission level...
Anothr minor stuff is that the fonts in the dialogs looks messed up and barely readable, the answers looks good but the font used to write what an NPC is saying is glitched.

Still seeying Strife running on the 2x is something awesome, thank you Adventus

Eclipse said:
First of all, starting a new game will start it at Nightmare mode even if you choose the first one. To bypass that you have to save a game, then download ZDoom for pc, start Strife, save a game here and switch it with the one you made. Even doing this i'm not sure if it will load it in Nightmare or not.
I can concure that if you choose a new game from the first screen it will always choose Bloodbath. So I played around a bit and found out that subsequently starting a new game will indeed select the right skill level.

@lobski You cannot modify the buffer size and sample rate. I need more information than "i get no sound". What does -stdlog output? Do you have timidity correctly installed?

And to everyone, there should be some more updates in a week or two when my holidays start. I'll try and improve Strife compatibility first.

Adventus said:
@lobski You cannot modify the buffer size and sample rate. I need more information than "i get no sound". What does -stdlog output? Do you have timidity correctly installed?

I haven't changed around any of the buffer settings, I just get no sound.

stdout:

Standard output and error logging...
M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.

How do I install and use timidity?

lobski said:
[...]

How do I install and use timidity?
Download this: timidity.tar.gz

Extract it somewhere, and copy the "timidity" folder to the root of your SD card. That's the default location; the Readme has instructions if you want to install it somewhere else.

@Adventus:
Looking forward to the update. (I do like to see an update to 2xWargus too.) :D

Keep it up, and thanks.

Back