Cnet Review

FQ22 posted on Apr 20 2006 at 04:10 AM said:
Wow your funny. NOT! Anyway, I dislike their preview, just my thought.
Wow, you're not intelligent.

See, I only had to use one sentence, and I could make it grammatically correct, too.

I dislike people who:
1. Use your in place of you're.
2. Miss out commas.
3. Make a sentence, then add NOT! on the end in an attempt to be funny.

Just so you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dislike people who:
1. Use your in place of you're.
That'll be most people that English isn't their first language then, or too stupid to know the difference...

2. Miss out commas.
That'll be solicitors (lawyers for yanks), which is justifiable really...

3. Make a sentence, then add NOT! on the end in an attempt to be funny.
Yeah, that's just gay.

Oh, the review is so ill-informed it is laughable. But still, it is publicity.

Stop with the flames ... I'll have to close down another topic if you meat bags can't be civil ;)

Of course they are.

Do CNet have a comment thing? If so, they'd be subject to hundreds of 'pull the bloody screen protector off!' posts.

That'll be most people that English isn't their first language then, or too stupid to know the difference...
Of course, if they have a justification, I'm fine. But if they're just being lazy, it pisses me off.

Well, I have to say, that if they recommend rechargables, it will be getting some nice publicity... or something...I don't know...

"Hello readers, our GP2X arrived today. We were enjoying some classic Genesis games when after about 10 minutes, the batteries died! We put in another set, but those died in ten minutes too! It is clear that the only conclusion we can come to is that our unit is malfunctioning. We will send it back to Protx and give them low marks for this terrible product."

And I hate people who:
1. Don't mind their own business.
2. Try to make others feel like trash.
3. Won't shut the fuck up, and keep shit to themselves.

I wasnt even being disrepectful to others on this board so why start shit.

... I sense a great disturbance in this thread <_<

Can you folks restrain yourselves a bit? Thanks ...

You know, if you looked at the FAQ on this very forum, or the GPH site, you would think that the unit does do MPEG 1-4, and WMV right now. While in fact it does not, that data is still on the GPH site. And lets not forget, CNET has not gotten their hands on it yet.

Yea, I agree with that. And it does have the feel of a preview without a lot of research, unfortunately.

hahaha, meatbags.

anyway there's no excuse for bad journalism. facts should be job one. "jazzy" prose should be the last priority if at all.

"the latest to join the fray"
"and the GP2X does the rest"
"compatible with mame"
"if you're feeling geekish"

meh. but all in all i think he did ok considering the length of the article. it's more of a blurb or a sound byte than anything so i think it does that job well. his defensiveness toward the talkback critics is a bit silly. confusing distributor with manufacturer is not really acceptable, despite his later justification. unless the product was "private-labeled" (the manufacturer forgoes giving the product their own name and instead makes more money by putting the distributor's label on it) then the brand name is the one that's ON THE UNIT. and how is protx involved? i thought that was just craigx's payment "gateway".

edit: ha, apparently i just typed my edit at the same time that nickspoon posted. i'm not a copycat, really :)

Protx don't distribute GP2Xs, they handle payments. craigix uses them, but it is he, not Protx, that distributes the GP2Xs.

Incredible stupidity on their part.

rokdcasbah posted on Apr 21 2006 at 11:22 AM said:
hahaha at meatbags.

anyway there's no excuse for bad journalism. facts should be job one. "jazzy" prose should be the last priority if at all.

"the latest to join the fray"
"and the GP2X does the rest"
"compatible with mame"
"if you're feeling geekish"

Dry purely-informational reviews that are dry and humorless usually border on unreadable if they're of any considerable length. It's pretty important to keep your writing style fairly interesting and dyanmic if you want it to be read by the sort of crowd who buys alternative game systems.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
nickspoon posted on Apr 21 2006 at 06:39 PM said:
Protx don't distribute GP2Xs, they handle payments. craigix uses them, but it is he, not Protx, that distributes the GP2Xs.

The first thing I imagined when I read this was VISA selling gp2x... :p

Last edited:
In my opinion, this "review" doesn't server any purpose at all, other than tricking people into visiting CNet's website.

The write up says very little about the GP2X and most of what it does say is incorrect anyway. It's lazy writing and the post should have been saved until it was completed properly.

It's sort of like the grade school kid handing in a homework assignment that is nothing more than a bunch of pages printed off of the Wikipedia site, then telling the teacher, "I'll get around to putting this into my own words later. This is just so you don't give me an 'F' for being late."

These people working at these "professional" news sites are getting lazier all of the time. I see more articles cropping up all of the time that can't even get the grammar and punctuation right. It's just sloppy work... and it's being accepted.

I was wondering; has anyone tried contacting the author of this article and maybe guiding him here to this site?

I see a few comments at the bottom of the article, but I wonder if they actually read them ... some are quite rude and may give the curious few who may have otherwise bought one the wrong impression of the community as a whole.

Edit: I see ... he did reply ... my oh my ...

... and he's been directed here. Good thing :)

Back