Release Mainstream News Site Cnet Picks Up On The P

"...designed to compete with Nintendo's DS, Sony's PlayStation Portable..."

Hmm. Methinks the reporter hasn't really done their research.

Before I read the article I half expected a bashing, since CNet is kinda the corporate whore, but the reception was actually somewhat warm. Even though somewhat under informed.

"It is mostly intended to run "home brew" games and older console games, which is fun but unlikely to draw in new gaming consumers."

Yeah, the whole Wi-Fi in your pocket, and the playing every kind of popular multimedia format in your pocket, and the PDA functionality, and the ability to work on documents anywhere, and the sound recording, and the remote access to my servers from anywhere with Wi-Fi, and the mobile photoshop with touchscreen + GIMP, and the graphing calculator replacement I might make for it....

Those are all secondary to our goal of playing homebrew games and emulating older consoles.

DidNotDoTheResearch. Not enough to be accurate, anyway.

mindlord said:
CNET is a popular technology news site here in the US, and the Pandora finally appears on it's radar
link

The first link in this article refers to arstechnica.com. Their statement sounds critical but not uninterested. Also some postings sound nice. There is not only bad news out there :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Guy Montag said:
Another article about the Pandora:
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS7004794073.html

Wow... Where did they get those -old- renders with the SD cards on the back and multi-colors? And how did they get them without doing the research that would have told them that the device is black and has the SD slots on the front, etc...

They missed bluetooth, touchscreen, stylus... claimed that the nubs could click. Where did they dig that up from?

Grench said:
Guy Montag said:

Wow... Where did they get those -old- renders with the SD cards on the back and multi-colors? And how did they get them without doing the research that would have told them that the device is black and has the SD slots on the front, etc...

They missed bluetooth, touchscreen, stylus... claimed that the nubs could click. Where did they dig that up from?

Jan. 29, 2008

atomicthumbs said:
Grench said:
Guy Montag said:

Jan. 29, 2008

LOL. Yep. You're right. Its hard to think that it has been such a long road from those renders to a semi functioning prototype.

RajTakhar said:
Any press coverage at the moment is good - for the Open Pandora project. OK it could have been a little more well researched - but at least its more press coverage, getting more people to think about the pandora
The impression I get from reading that is "don't bother if you're not a hardcore Linux user." I don't think that kind of misinformed press is necessarily a good thing.

IMHO Chip, as PR guy, should contact most misleading sites about Pandora and inform them about official acknowledgment features and design. Now I really see how misleading techsites can be.

peca said:
IMHO Chip, as PR guy, should contact most misleading sites about Pandora and inform them about official acknowledgment features and design. Now I really see how misleading techsites can be.
I do, but it doesn't do much. These are just bloggers, and they don't have to post corrections, especially when it's something as ambiguous as what a device is "designed to compete with". It's not like he made any quantitative statements that were factually inaccurate. As articles written by someone with no prior experience with the project go, this one isn't bad.

The problem is, makes statments like that creates a mood in people who are not it's target audiance that is not unlike a mob of people with pitch forks and torches. They make assumptions or create outright lies and that turns off the people who might actually be the intended consumer base.

Back