Release Mainstream News Site Cnet Picks Up On The P

craigix said:
We are trying to work out a plan of action to visit these sites in person with Pandoras to set things straight and show off the hardware.

Cool - which reminds me. If I set up a badly inaccurate review of the Pandora on my web site, can I get a Pandora early to prove me wrong? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Monk said:
craigix said:
We are trying to work out a plan of action to visit these sites in person with Pandoras to set things straight and show off the hardware.

Cool - which reminds me. If I set up a badly inaccurate review of the Pandora on my web site, can I get a Pandora early to prove me wrong? ;)

No, you'll receive a demonstration as soon as one is properly available [But you don't get to keep it] and a complimentary boot-to-the-head.

craigix said:
That is a brilliant idea! Perfect for this product and its intended audience.

In some cases knocking on the door and saying hello might be the only way to get coverage, it's a sad thing that the BBC (for example) seem more interested in fluff Apple and Sony stories than projects closer to home.

lulzfish said:
No, you'll receive a demonstration as soon as one is properly available [But you don't get to keep it] and a complimentary boot-to-the-head.
Ummm... I MIGHT just be tempted to wait for a retail unit...

craigix said:
In some cases knocking on the door and saying hello might be the only way to get coverage, it's a sad thing that the BBC (for example) seem more interested in fluff Apple and Sony stories than projects closer to home.
the BBC are an odd bunch... actually a bunch of odd barely-connected bunches. It seems to be convenient to know the right people rather than to have good info, but sadly I never knew the right people for news even when I had BBC contacts, so I'm not much help there.

Have you tried contacting "Click" at the BBC?

Or even their "Send us your story" online?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/y...87.stm#postform

craigix said:

It's really all about trying to get more people to watch your show. Maybe if you could somehow make your interview interesting (throw in a murder or something), they would give you coverage. Anything that gives them more viewers.

Username said:
craigix said:

It's really all about trying to get more people to watch your show. Maybe if you could somehow make your interview interesting (throw in a murder or something), they would give you coverage. Anything that gives them more viewers.
Yeah - a pre-orderer suicide bombing a "Dixons" store because they don't stock Pandora would probably help get into the news... ;)

Monk said:
Username said:
craigix said:

Yeah - a pre-orderer suicide bombing a "Dixons" store because they don't stock Pandora would probably help get into the news... ;)

no no no. Honestly we are better having no mainstream coverage until the product hits the streets and is established. Especially from BBC and Sky they are politically motivated - we live in a chequebook democracy it will ultimately bring trouble for a small company working against the mainstream. leave them alone- trust me, i know how they work at the levels higher up from journalistic production and reportage

pubzombie said:
no no no. Honestly we are better having no mainstream coverage until the product hits the streets and is established. Especially from BBC and Sky they are politically motivated - we live in a chequebook democracy it will ultimately bring trouble for a small company working against the mainstream. leave them alone- trust me, i know how they work at the levels higher up from journalistic production and reportage

I'm not saying we should get more coverage, I was just saying why we didn't get any at all.

Username said:
pubzombie said:

I'm not saying we should get more coverage, I was just saying why we didn't get any at all.
sorry didnt mean to sound off, its just best left alone until its here

Honestly it's probably better that he mainstream is clueless atleast until the device proves itself to be more than a "Emu box" full of cease and desists and lawsuits. get enough free open source apps on it with a wide varaiety of choices, front ends that a easily switchable and then the main stream will be like "where has this little wonder been hiding!?"

The answer will be "in the hands of opensource, homebrew, gadget, and emulator fans for the past 2 years", and no one will bother to try and stop it's progress at that point.

The mainstream is clueless, and you aren't. Or so it seems when the issue is relevant to YOU.
How many folks on the internet would be able to disect all the bullshit out of an article about the latest foreign motor trend? Or a rising ballet star? Jesus christ, get the fuck over yourselves.

PoisonedV said:
The mainstream is clueless, and you aren't. Or so it seems when the issue is relevant to YOU.
How many folks on the internet would be able to disect all the bullshit out of an article about the latest foreign motor trend? Or a rising ballet star? Jesus christ, get the fuck over yourselves.
Isn't that the whole point though? That the media is full of, to use your term, bullshit? I forget how many times I've seen "news" either on the "News" or on "Tomorrow's World" (I'm old) and thought "hang on - isn't that two years too late to be called news?".

In a world increasingly depicted as up-to-the-minute because of the global Internet "revolution", it is only by examining how the media reports what WE know about that we are able to judge how out of touch it really is. After all - we can't do it by detecting the bullshit level of reportage on foreign motors or rising ballet stars, because those aren't our fields...

I wasn't complaining about people calling the media stupid, I was complaining about people thinking everyone who isn't a pandora fan 'stupid' for not knowing or caring about incorrect stats in newsposts

Ah, my apologies - I think I'd either missed that aspect of the conversaion or conveniently "glossed over" it. It's funny how we can so easily ignore things that we don't care to focus on. Yet at other times it seems impossible to ignore seemingly minor things like the tinny noise from a Sony walkman (yes, I'm still old!)

If the media is reporting something, they should at least try to be accurate.
Like with my college newspaper here.

Here's what the newspaper reported:
Everybody in town hates college students, and that one store in campustown doesn't take the debit cards from this college anymore.

Here's what actually had happened:
Nothing. That store still accepts the debit cards from this college, and they have done so for a long time. Presumably it's good for business to be the closest grocery store to campus.

I'm not saying Internet reporting is any better, but the point is that journalists or editors or whoever can mess up something without even lacking technical knowledge on the subject.

In fact, there is a sign on the door of that store: "We take [debit card used at local college]"

PoisonedV said:
I'm not sure what you trying to say here. Of course any enthusias will have a better understanding, but it's only because the non enthusiast hasnt spent the time to educate themselves about it. If I was a car guy I seriously doubt I'd be reading Rising Ballet Star, it would not matter to me. But I'm sure a Ballet enthusiast would raise hell at a mistake. That's just the natural order just as a car guy would instantly send an agry email about a mistake in the number of RPM a HEMI generates.

When a mistake it noticed by someone that actually does know the realization is that an inacurate picture is being painted in the minds of someone that might just be exposed to it for the first time. This leads to either lower expactations or overhyping and people complaining either way as they hop on a bandwagon to try riding a new trend. How many complain threads have we seen from people exposed to the Pandora by Engadget for the first time thinking it was a PSP or DS replacement? Or people who claim it'll be a "failure" because they're on the outside looking in and dont know how close it is to being a reality?

All I'm saying is it'd probably be better for the "Pop" media to miss the thing entirely so that the core userbase can get through the early years of the device without the bandwagoneers killing the enthusiasm. It'd be nice for them to get things right so that the people who really WOULD be interested in it actually get an accurate picture before joining the forums but as Chip said it's impossible to fix all their inaccuracies because they arn't really trying to understand it. Untill the Pandora has a greater level of saturation they should just ignore us and we ignore them.

Am I the only one who silently rages to themself at the sight of those old renders on new articles?

Back