Release Mainstream News Site Cnet Picks Up On The P

Alpha2 said:
PoisonedV said:
The mainstream is clueless, and you aren't. Or so it seems when the issue is relevant to YOU.
How many folks on the internet would be able to disect all the bullshit out of an article about the latest foreign motor trend? Or a rising ballet star? Jesus christ, get the fuck over yourselves.
I'm not sure what you trying to say here. Of course any enthusias will have a better understanding, but it's only because the non enthusiast hasnt spent the time to educate themselves about it. If I was a car guy I seriously doubt I'd be reading Rising Ballet Star, it would not matter to me. But I'm sure a Ballet enthusiast would raise hell at a mistake. That's just the natural order just as a car guy would instantly send an agry email about a mistake in the number of RPM a HEMI generates.

When a mistake it noticed by someone that actually does know the realization is that an inacurate picture is being painted in the minds of someone that might just be exposed to it for the first time. This leads to either lower expactations or overhyping and people complaining either way as they hop on a bandwagon to try riding a new trend. How many complain threads have we seen from people exposed to the Pandora by Engadget for the first time thinking it was a PSP or DS replacement? Or people who claim it'll be a "failure" because they're on the outside looking in and dont know how close it is to being a reality?

All I'm saying is it'd probably be better for the "Pop" media to miss the thing entirely so that the core userbase can get through the early years of the device without the bandwagoneers killing the enthusiasm. It'd be nice for them to get things right so that the people who really WOULD be interested in it actually get an accurate picture before joining the forums but as Chip said it's impossible to fix all their inaccuracies because they arn't really trying to understand it. Untill the Pandora has a greater level of saturation they should just ignore us and we ignore them.

I'm not making a statement about the media, the media are morons and always have been, I'm making a statement about YOU guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
[/quote]
I'm not making a statement about the media, the media are morons and always have been, I'm making a statement about YOU guys.
[/quote]

ooohhhhh she's really lost it this time :rolleyes:

"I'm making a statement about YOU guys."

Especially YOU, ADRIAN!

Well, yes, this Joe Public jerk is certainly pretty stupid. He keep calling the DS a Game Boy, and he thinks my huge wireless mouse receiver [Which is shaped very little like a mouse] is a mouse.

And he also seems to think the Internet is routed through the computer in the basement somehow.. But it's not, that's what the router is for.

Anyway, that's inevitable. We can't control directly what the public thinks. The best we can do is to make sure the media is accurate, because Joe, being the noob he is, will probably believe the first thing he hears about the Pandora.

And since Joe works for the media, I agree that the best thing to do is keep him out of the loop until there's a very formal "Here's what it does, here's what it doesn't do, here's the price, here's the URL, here's when the next batch is shipping" quote ready.

PoisonedV said:
okay, now YOU need to get the fuck over your own self.

I am indeed clueless about ballet-related things, but ballet is not a huge part of society like technology is, and I don't go around checking out the latest trends in ballet, or reviewing ballet performances without watching them.

Although maybe I should.

"It sucked. I liked ballet better when they used real chainsaws."

lulzfish said:
I am indeed clueless about ballet-related things, but ballet is not a huge part of society like technology is, and I don't go around checking out the latest trends in ballet, or reviewing ballet performances without watching them.

Although maybe I should.

LOL

lulzfish said:
"I'm making a statement about YOU guys."

Especially YOU, ADRIAN!

Well, yes, this Joe Public jerk is certainly pretty stupid. He keep calling the DS a Game Boy, and he thinks my huge wireless mouse receiver [Which is shaped very little like a mouse] is a mouse.

And he also seems to think the Internet is routed through the computer in the basement somehow.. But it's not, that's what the router is for.

Anyway, that's inevitable. We can't control directly what the public thinks. The best we can do is to make sure the media is accurate, because Joe, being the noob he is, will probably believe the first thing he hears about the Pandora.

And since Joe works for the media, I agree that the best thing to do is keep him out of the loop until there's a very formal "Here's what it does, here's what it doesn't do, here's the price, here's the URL, here's when the next batch is shipping" quote ready.

Alright, well, maybe next time you need an automotive technician for a car he can make fun of you for not knowing in-depth details that 'Joe Public' ie anyone who ISN'T completely obesssed with your respective field of expertise has no reason to know in the first place.

Alpha2 said:
PoisonedV said:
okay, now YOU need to get the fuck over your own self.

umad

lulzfish said:

Although maybe I should.

Yeah, technology is a large part of society, but you know what isn't? A niche handheld deviced developed by a small group of little known community members.

PoisonedV said:
Alright, well, maybe next time you need an automotive technician for a car he can make fun of you for not knowing in-depth details that 'Joe Public' ie anyone who ISN'T completely obesssed with your respective field of expertise has no reason to know in the first place.

Bad comparison.
Better comparison: the paper gives a report on a new fuel injector that can cheaply and easily be installed in any car to give 100 mpg. So, taking the paper at its word, you go to the mechanic, who gets a migraine from all the people showing up trying to get this fuel injector that doesn't actually do what the paper said it does in the way they think it does, simply because the reporter failed to check the stats. This isn't Joe Public's fault, it's the papers for not checking its sources thoroughly, and it is the paper with whom the mechanic should take issue. The mechanic would be justified in thinking it better that the paper had not run anything than print misleading information.

I think that websites which claim to be about a certain thing (ie tech) should get their facts right.

And on a similar note, people like the BBC, who are publicly funded, should report on smaller interesting projects a lot more and less about Apple, Sony etc. sometimes it just looks suspiciously like advertising.

I agree Click do a good job on smaller projects, I might see if they are interested in the Pandora.

WizardStan said:
PoisonedV said:

Bad comparison.
Better comparison: the paper gives a report on a new fuel injector that can cheaply and easily be installed in any car to give 100 mpg. So, taking the paper at its word, you go to the mechanic, who gets a migraine from all the people showing up trying to get this fuel injector that doesn't actually do what the paper said it does in the way they think it does, simply because the reporter failed to check the stats. This isn't Joe Public's fault, it's the papers for not checking its sources thoroughly, and it is the paper with whom the mechanic should take issue. The mechanic would be justified in thinking it better that the paper had not run anything than print misleading information.

this isn't about the media source, once again, stop taking it as such.

I think this discussion is a little "arse about face" as such. The fact is the mainstream media are picking it up already hence the reason this thread was started. Imposing an artificial embargo i.e. "we'll keep it in the community until its polished into something Joe Public can understand", is locking the stable door after the horse has bolted - the news is out there, the Pandora is being inaccurately reported and polished software and hardware will not be any guarantee of accuracy. Writers will take what they see an put their own spin on it to create "news", the less an official line is available the more room for them to put their own spin on what they report.

Going back to my orginal point, that's why I think a press campaign using official releases will help a lot - its what happens in the real world, I work on this stuff myself and have done so for games companies and its exactly why news is drip fed into the press for in this fashion - you need to make them work for you by making it easy for them to grab the latest news which in turn drives up hits to their web site or increases their circulation for that month - simple really.

I do however take the point about the potential legal minefield regarding emulation. However, this for me is purely a matter of positioning. If I was crafting a press campaign around this, I would avoid the emu aspects (after all frankly, any mobile pc device can run emulators - so what?) and concentrate on its UMPC aspects, Angstrom, homebrew, Quake 3 etc - if people want to run emulators on it then its frankly their business - they can run those same emulators on any desktop or laptop, and as I say the news is already out there, its up to the OP team to take control and as I said before many outlets will take your release and publish it in its entirety with a few comments - you've made their job easy for them, they don't have to look at your site, dissect forum posts blah blah.

IMO this should be done now and ready for the first batch release before it explodes across the internet of its own accord in a totally uncontrolled fashion....

pandorasloveflaps said:
IMO this should be done now and ready for the first batch release before it explodes across the internet of its own accord in a totally uncontrolled fashion....
good post, and I agree OP should do this sooner rather than later. No later than immediately after posting MY unit ;)

'MDave' said:
You won't believe the amount of developers that cringe when they read a review of their game reviewed by a 'reputable' review site.
So true. I have had decent games slated because they had zero advertising budget and POS get unrealistically high marks because the publisher bought a 2 page ad.

The truth is class always shows.

Ahh, a pirates life is easy. With no cost for games, you don't have to purchase games with discretion or rely on reviews.

Back