Closer To The Final Replacement Of Stick

Epicenter posted on May 30 2006 at 01:49 AM said:
This modification still requires you drill out a bigger hole in your Gp2X, doesn't it? I'd rather solder .. :(

I'd too but to mount a dpad like the QD there isn't other way.

If someone could find a better four-switch based stick similar in size to the GP2x's stock one then drilling wouldn't be necessary.
(I was searching and couldn't get such one)

Last edited by a moderator:
Any ideas on how to make the cutting as easy as possible? Maybe if you had a metal circle with a whole cut in the center of it the size of the hole needed for the QD. You could then line the metal circle up and then sand down the plastic to match the shape of the whole. I just worry that any attempt to drill or cut the whole might crack the case and that sanding is far safer. Of course the problem with the solution I just mentioned is keeping it lined up…

I guess there'll be plenty of business for anyone making replacement faceplates after this :) I think I should be able to do it with a dremel, but if something went wrong... :(

Yeah, as much as it sounds like a cool mod I don't really want to mutilate my faceplate with that cool "first edition" logo...

Replacement cases with a QD-sized hole would be very cool, though probably tough to get manufactured cheaply.

DijiTao posted on May 30 2006 at 08:35 AM said:
I just worry that any attempt to drill or cut the whole might crack the case and that sanding is far safer.

Use a medium/small half-round Bastard file, it should be fairly easy to enlarge the opening that way.

Find a local machine shop and see if they will use a mill bit the proper size to get it.

Mill bits have 4-6 sharp carbide blades and aren't likely to crack the face, while you are at it have them make your Headphone plug access a little bigger to fit plugs in the real world.

Try a local community college or trade school, maybe someone's relative is attending and has a friend in the machine shop program.

Or use a regular bit on a drill press carefully, make the hole smaller than need be, then use a half-round bastard file on it.

nubie posted on May 29 2006 at 12:32 PM said:
Did you even read the thread? I know it has gotten pretty big, but still, the answer is in the thread already.

Yes, I did. I may have missed it or it may have been unclear.

So sweet. I hope this sees the light of day soon...

Eolair posted on Mar 21 2006 at 12:16 PM said:
kaltar posted on Mar 21 2006 at 04:32 PM said:
Eolair posted on Mar 20 2006 at 09:52 AM said:
If you can get this working it would be great. If you could start selling upgrade kits it would be awesome. I'd buy one yesterday if I could :D

Hey Eolair, Do You Know Of Somebody That Painted His GP2x Just Like In Your Signature? just Curious!
Unfortunately it's all photoshopped. I would love to have a "GP2x C64 Edition" :D

Well, All The Versions Look Amazing! ... However, I'll Preffer A Directional PAd Like the Gameboy One 100 Times More Than A Painted Version...

An update and picture:
c18me.jpg

This is the final version of logic converter. It's based on the µC and I decided to make only such one. It's much smaller than 4067 and has some other advantages. They are already on a way to ED (and someone else) so soon they should be available. The QD dpads should be available not that much later (I hope).

Perhaps there will be a small surprise with that µC converter, perhaps...
(not to spoil the thing as I'm not sure about it but... lets me say if it will happen it will be very nifty)

nubie posted on May 30 2006 at 07:19 PM said:
Use a medium/small half-round Bastard file, it should be fairly easy to enlarge the opening that way.

I almost thought I had one of those, then realized the one I have is completely round. However, still being a file, it should work to some extent.

im sure it will work out better... still have the cube d-pad lying arround here, argh cant wait to make the gp2x perfect ;)

nubie posted on May 30 2006 at 07:19 PM said:

I almost thought I had one of those, then realized the one I have is completely round. However, still being a file, it should work to some extent.
The only reason I thought a Half round one is better is the curve, to make a round file "file" a round hole it is usually the same size as the hole.

The half-round files have a curvature correspnding to a circle whose width is greater than the actual width of the file, if you follow me.

The round one will work just fine (I only own round and flat ones too, I just needed an excuse to buy a tiny half-round file :) ).

Just don't file a small round hole into the side of your larger circle by filing in one spot too long :).

@Radek, splendid progress, I like that you were able to miniaturize it a bit, this and Techfreak's mini breakout box will be the coolest things about the GP2X, I hope I will be able to order both when I have the money to buy a GP2X to replace the one I sold :).

(Any chance of a surface mounted version? I would do all the soldering, I would just need you to program me a SMD chip, If there is a SMD version of the chip you use I would like to try a mod of my own to save internal space against the time I can put a USB socket or Wifi stick in all that space back there.)

(Any chance of a surface mounted version? I would do all the soldering, I would just need you to program me a SMD chip, If there is a SMD version of the chip you use I would like to try a mod of my own to save internal space against the time I can put a USB socket or Wifi stick in all that space back there.)

There are SMD versions of µC what I'm using but you would have a different PCB for that. I'd have to design new board or even resort to double sided PCB/metalized vias.

For such low scale mod it's not viable cost wise I'm afraid. And the size saving would be around 1/3 for whole unit (because there must be also place for connectors).

It's best to see (I made a small PDF instruction):
picinst9hn.jpg

any indication of when this will be ready to buy?

having just had a session on my gp2x the stick is painfully bad to use.. left hardly even registers xD;;

Back