Clasic Controler To Usb Being Released In December

frostedfires

I thought this may be interesting to some people who like to use nintendo's classic controler for the wii. Currently there are no usb adaptors that will let you use one through USB though. After emailing Mayflash I was very pleased to hear that they are making one and should be released in December. Now we just have to hope it works with the Pandora so we can play N64, Nes, etc. using it :)

Hope this info is helpful to some people.May Flash's website for more info

Nice, but wouldn't it be kinda inconvenient carrying around the wires of the controller, along with holding your Pandora and an extra controller?

frostedfires said:
Now we just have to hope it works with the Pandora so we can play N64, Nes, etc. using it :)
As long as the adapter presents the pad as a standard USB Human Interface Device (Mayflash's adapters always do, in my experience), then as long as the emulators in question support external controllers, it will work.

Many thanks for posting this up - whilst I'll be using USB adapters for my SNES and NES pads with the Pandora's TV-out function, I had been curious about whether any USB adapters for the Classic Controller existed myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jourdy288 said:
Nice, but wouldn't it be kinda inconvenient carrying around the wires of the controller, along with holding your Pandora and an extra controller?
I plan on carrying in a small bag:
- Pandora (possibly in a soft slipcase)
- 2 PSPs, 2 AC adapters
- several memory sticks and SD cards
- a USB thumb drive (just in case)
- possibly an expansion case
- possibly a small Wacom tablet (if drawing on-the-go turns out to work well)
- possibly a foldable USB keyboard
- and a USB modded SNES controller.

Inconvenient? Naawwwwwwhhhhh... ;)

I never considered the Wii Classic Controller till now, so if it does work as a standard controller I might buy the adapter and Wii controller instead. Might be fun to take the controller and adapter apart and see if the circuitry can be all placed inside the controller.

There are many high quality USB controllers out there; would be curious to hear what the classic controller offers over them.

Is this necessarily an improvement over using Bluetooth (with cwiid)? It would seem that using USB would reduce power consumption, but remember, that might not be the case (since even a lot of USB HID devices tend to draw more power than expected). I think Class I bluetooth uses only a few mA of current, whereas USB devices vary pretty widely...

Tom` said:
Is this necessarily an improvement over using Bluetooth (with cwiid)? It would seem that using USB would reduce power consumption, but remember, that might not be the case (since even a lot of USB HID devices tend to draw more power than expected). I think Class I bluetooth uses only a few mA of current, whereas USB devices vary pretty widely...

True, but Bluetooth devices use battery power, USB can use wall power.

Exophase said:
Tom` said:

True, but Bluetooth devices use battery power, USB can use wall power.

I guess this is true if you're using a powered hub, but then, why not just plug in your Pandora and use the Bluetooth? Less wires all around that way.

Tom` said:
I guess this is true if you're using a powered hub, but then, why not just plug in your Pandora and use the Bluetooth? Less wires all around that way.

In this case I was looking at the news in a bit of a broader sense, thinking of using the classic controller with anything that takes USB, including wall powered things. If you're powering a controller off the Pandora's battery then you'd could be better or worse off. It depends on what the capacity of the controller is, of course. Then again, a very small battery could probably outlast the Pandora when just sending over BT so I think I don't really have a good argument.

Exophase said:
There are many high quality USB controllers out there; would be curious to hear what the classic controller offers over them.
I'd been looking to use the SNES controller over USB for portability for a while now. The SNES controller has a fairly compact size and is a lot better quality than other controllers of the same size. The flat form factor also means it'll fit into a small bag easier than a PS2, PS3, or Xbox 360 controller would. The PS3 controller does have the benefit of being wireless, but also means you need to have the Bluetooth connection on Pandora active.

The Wii classic controller is just a little bigger and maintains the same flat form factor (no grips or anything) but has the added benefit of more buttons and two analog sticks.

Exophase said:

In my experience the Wii classic controller has one of the best dpads I have ever used. If you think that there is a controller that matches the Wii classic controller d-pad just point me to a link, I'm more than happy to check it out. As I'm impatiently awaiting the arrival of a classic controller to USB adapter =)

-Tj- said:
Exophase said:
I'd been looking to use the SNES controller over USB for portability for a while now. The SNES controller has a fairly compact size and is a lot better quality than other controllers of the same size. The flat form factor also means it'll fit into a small bag easier than a PS2, PS3, or Xbox 360 controller would. The PS3 controller does have the benefit of being wireless, but also means you need to have the Bluetooth connection on Pandora active.

The Wii classic controller is just a little bigger and maintains the same flat form factor (no grips or anything) but has the added benefit of more buttons and two analog sticks.

This:
http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29
or this:
http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=33

GizmoTheGreen said:
This:
or this:
That's exactly what I was looking at (the 2nd link, controller), but I was going to go the kit route and do it myself. The adapter is extra bulk to lug around and I don't have an SNES, so keeping the controller plug would be pointless. :p

I use Sega Saturn USB controllers. They're awesome :)

They were an official Sega product and still turn up now and then.

kmob said:
I use Sega Saturn USB controllers. They're awesome :)

They were an official Sega product and still turn up now and then.
+1 was just about to post that actually, I just picked one up on ebay for under 20 bux, really great feel, I'd recommend it to everyone. D-Pad is my favorite as well, much better than the classic controller. Also I feel this is worth posting.

-Tj- said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
This:
or this:
That's exactly what I was looking at (the 2nd link, controller), but I was going to go the kit route and do it myself. The adapter is extra bulk to lug around and I don't have an SNES, so keeping the controller plug would be pointless. :p

Got two NES cables controllers I've converted to USB with this method =)

EDIT: lol typo

^
Nice!

Incidentally, I contacted RetroZone yesterday regarding a possible USB conversion for the Wii Classic Controller and got a reply. They have no plans for one, since it can already be accessed via Bluetooth + Wii Remote. Kinda defeats the purpose of "USB", honestly...

Edited to clear up any possible confusion. :p

-Tj- said:
^
Nice!

Incidentally, I contacted them yesterday regarding a possible USB conversion for the Wii Classic Controller and got a reply. They have no plans for one, since it can already be accessed via Bluetooth + Wii Remote. Kinda defeats the purpose of "USB", honestly...

A nice kit for making it USB only would be nice, we should get a poll going and submit to them.

Here is what May Flash said in there first email.

Hi John,

Thanks for your message.

This item will be released at the beginning of Dec.

Best regards,
Mayflash Limited
----- Original Message -----
To: sales@mayflash.com
Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 11:24 AM
Subject: wii classic controller to usb

Hi, I was wondering if you will be making a wii classic controller to usb anytime soon? I saw on other sites of people saying this site will have them by september or october but I couldn't find any on the site. Could you please inform me if you will be making one of these devices and an estimated date it will be released. Thanks

I edited my post regarding USB from RetroZone in case that was causing confusion. The Mayflash one seems to be the best bet for the Wii controller. I'm definitely going to keep my eye out for them.

GizmoTheGreen said:
-Tj- said:
^
Nice!

Incidentally, I contacted them yesterday regarding a possible USB conversion for the Wii Classic Controller and got a reply. They have no plans for one, since it can already be accessed via Bluetooth + Wii Remote. Kinda defeats the purpose of "USB", honestly...

A nice kit for making it USB only would be nice, we should get a poll going and submit to them.
I'm not sure getting a poll started *here* would be sufficient to get them going on a kit for it. There's probably not enough interest on these forums for them to get moving on one. Do you know of any more Wii/PC-centric forums that might be interested? If something were posted on one of their sites it'd probably garner more attention and interest than if we just asked these forum folks. :)

Back