Best Gamepad For Two Player Pandora Action Available Again

Tensuke said:
second exodous said:
This site that was linked from the page you linked makes me physically ill, it's the same site that I only got working once. Luckily I don't have access to PS3 controllers anymore. I'll wait until the process is stream lined to try PS3 controllers over blutooth. It will only take one person to make it rock solid on the Pandora for the community though. I think it should be built into the Linux kernal, that would just make it easy for everyone.

Edit: You need a jailbroke iphone or ipod to use the iconrolpad don't you? I think I remember someone saying that.
Oh definitely, I was just saying that it will be doable. I'm sure someone(if it's not me) will make this all as simple a process as possible.
If you get it working I will bow down before you. It is doable and I have no idea why it hasn't been done. I think the main reason is the PS3 isn't very popular, but I still feel that it's the best controller on the market. Wiimote works perfectly because there a eleventy million Wiis out there, I personally only know one person that owns a PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm stocking up on Dukes to play N64 and PSX with, seeing as how we will have the xpad drivers in the Pandora's kernel. I already have the adapters for them. For anything earlier, I plan to use Sega Saturn controllers. I already have 2, and I was thinking about obtaining two more through this PlaySega deal.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
I'm stocking up on Dukes to play N64 and PSX with, seeing as how we will have the xpad drivers in the Pandora's kernel. I already have the adapters for them. For anything earlier, I plan to use Sega Saturn controllers. I already have 2, and I was thinking about obtaining two more through this PlaySega deal.

-God Ginrai
What are 'Dukes'? I did a search and couldn't find anything. They are good for playing N64? To me it seems like nothing is good for playing N64 quite like the official controllers.

second exodous said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai
What are 'Dukes'? I did a search and couldn't find anything. They are good for playing N64? To me it seems like nothing is good for playing N64 quite like the official controllers.

The Duke is the original controller for the Xbox.

xbox_duke_controller.jpg

It's the best controller with Dual analogs that I have ever used. It won't be like playing with the N64 controller, but it will be better than playing with a PS2 pad or some other pad.

-God Ginrai

Logitech-DualActionUSB-L23-.jpg

this is the controller I use with my pc, and IMO it has the best dpad I've ever used on a usb controller

God Ginrai said:
second exodous said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai

xbox_duke_controller.jpg

It's the best controller with Dual analogs that I have ever used. It won't be like playing with the N64 controller, but it will be better than playing with a PS2 pad or some other pad.

-God Ginrai
Oh, ok, I've never heard them called Dukes before. I have only used them a few times, they seemed kinda big. My console days ended with the N64/PS actually, since then I've been handhelds and computer.

second exodous said:
God Ginrai said:
second exodous said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai

xbox_duke_controller.jpg

-God Ginrai
Oh, ok, I've never heard them called Dukes before. I have only used them a few times, they seemed kinda big. My console days ended with the N64/PS actually, since then I've been handhelds and computer.

They may be big, but I've never once found them uncomfortable or cumbersome, and I believe the controller itself is very well-made and plays well.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
second exodous said:
God Ginrai said:
second exodous said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai

xbox_duke_controller.jpg

-God Ginrai

They may be big, but I've never once found them uncomfortable or cumbersome, and I believe the controller itself is very well-made and plays well.

-God Ginrai
I need to try them again I guess. I know a few people that have upgraded and don't use their xbox anymore, maybe I could borrow some. Adapters look cheap also.

second exodous said:
God Ginrai said:
second exodous said:
God Ginrai said:
second exodous said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai

xbox_duke_controller.jpg

-God Ginrai

-God Ginrai
I need to try them again I guess. I know a few people that have upgraded and don't use their xbox anymore, maybe I could borrow some. Adapters look cheap also.

This is the adapter I got:
http://www.modchipman.com/smartjoyx-usb-adapter-connect-xbox-joypads-to-pc-p-147.html

It works great.

-God Ginrai

MrBlais said:
Again, doesn't that defeat the purpose of portability? What's wrong with the onboard controls?
I think this thread is about controllers to use for multi-play when the Pandora is hooked up to the TV, no one is planning on sitting the Pandora on a table to play with a controller. On single player I'll use the Pandora's controls but when I hook it up to the TV and play with others I'll use a external controllers.

MrBlais said:
Again, doesn't that defeat the purpose of portability? What's wrong with the onboard controls?

The onboard controls are great. I have no problem with them, and I will be using them much more than any of these controllers I will have. (which, btw, the fact that I am getting multiples of the same controllers should show that I intend to play multiplayer games as well, which would require controllers to play) Now I ask you: What's wrong with versatility?

-God Ginrai

second exodous said:
MrBlais said:
I think this thread is about controllers to use for multi-play when the Pandora is hooked up to the TV, no one is planning on sitting the Pandora on a table to play with a controller. On single player I'll use the Pandora's controls but when I hook it up to the TV and play with others I'll use a external controllers.

Ha, funny you say that. I only saw controllers in the title. My bad.

@God Ginrai: Oh, there's nothing wrong with it at all. I also plan on getting a controller for a second player (preferably my girlfriend.) Does anyone know of any [simple] controllers that I could get that are similar to, say, a SNES controller. She seems to get along with that one fine.

MrBlais said:
second exodous said:
MrBlais said:

@God Ginrai: Oh, there's nothing wrong with it at all. I also plan on getting a controller for a second player (preferably my girlfriend.) Does anyone know of any [simple] controllers that I could get that are similar to, say, a SNES controller. She seems to get along with that one fine.

I don't know of anything SNES-style except for the controllers that Messiah Entertainment made, but it seems that their website is down. It's like they dropped off the map. I would probably get the Saturn controller if I were you. It's the best controller I've ever used that doesn't have an analog. (Not that I think that controllers with analogs are better, it's just an easy boundary to split controllers into to important categories)

-God Ginrai

Yeah, she gets extremely baffled by the analog stick. The saturn controller would be a good fit. Hell, I guess I could just get an adapter for the SNES controller... :D

MrBlais said:
Yeah, she gets extremely baffled by the analog stick. The saturn controller would be a good fit. Hell, I guess I could just get an adapter for the SNES controller... :D

If you get an adapter, make sure it is one that does not require drivers.

-God Ginrai

MrBlais said:
second exodous said:
MrBlais said:

Don't feel bad, I didn't even know the title of the thread until I read your post, I just assumed since everyone was talking about controllers.

MrBlais said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai

Aren't a majority of them plug-n-play anyways?

If it's not HID compliant, then it is not plug-n-play unless your OS has added support for them. I don't know about SNES adapters, but I know that a lot of N64 and Dreamcast adapters are not HID compliant and require drivers.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
MrBlais said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai

Aren't a majority of them plug-n-play anyways?

If it's not HID compliant, then it is not plug-n-play unless your OS has added support for them. I don't know about SNES adapters, but I know that a lot of N64 and Dreamcast adapters are not HID compliant and require drivers.

-God Ginrai
Also if it's HID compliant you can do cooler stuff also, like have short cuts assigned in any programs, not just games. This is because they are seen as just more keys, not game controllers. I know that the SNES adapter I own is HID compliant, but it's not made anymore. You have to find it on ebay, it's the Smart Joy. The new ones have two controller ports but aren't HID compliant.

EDIT: Oh man, I just realized that it's not a snes adapter, it's a PS adapter, I just play Snes9x with it, memory is getting bad.

Back