Cellular Discussion [Split from] Bugs and Calculations

I have no idea what T-Mobile does, all I know is the old phone I had supported basically everything the PLS8-US did and worked just fine on T-Mobile.

Also, don't assume everything will be ironed out for easily making/receiving voice calls at launch (assuming T-Mobile lets us do what we want). My guess is other things will be a priority to make sure basic functionality of all Pyra versions are good.

Also, don't assume everything will be ironed out for easily making/receiving voice calls at launch (assuming T-Mobile lets us do what we want). My guess is other things will be a priority to make sure basic functionality of all Pyra versions are good.
I have no problem using a serial terminal to control it at first. Once call software comes then I'll likely use it, but I can use AT commands when it first arrives. IF there's a US mobile version.

I have no problem using a serial terminal to control it at first. Once call software comes then I'll likely use it, but I can use AT commands when it first arrives. IF there's a US mobile version.
Yeah, same here. That was directed more at the people that might mistake "phone capabilities" for "highly polished interface and fully functional phone capabilities". I don't know enough about it all right now to know how usable it will really be, so I am just going to assume that incoming calls and messages might be missed in the beginning. I will actually be a bit happy if I have to learn how things work, and how to do them, even if that information is useless to me in the future. I like doing new stuff like that.

I really want things to work out so we can have 4G, too. I guess I could just move to Europe.

I can't really move to Europe, I hope we find out soon what has to happen for US to get a mobile one.

AT commands sounds fine, but the hard part will be routing the audio properly (possibly with echo cancellation?) and low latency...

AT commands sounds fine, but the hard part will be routing the audio properly (possibly with echo cancellation?) and low latency...
Well Pulseaudio can manage that. Could make a shell script that changes Pulseaudio settings to route the audio right and opens a serial terminal to the modem. Then you dial and talk.

For receiving a call it might be harder, since I dunno how to monitor the modem for incoming calls.

Well Pulseaudio can manage that. Could make a shell script that changes Pulseaudio settings to route the audio right and opens a serial terminal to the modem. Then you dial and talk.

For receiving a call it might be harder, since I dunno how to monitor the modem for incoming calls.
I don't want to have Pulseaudio installed.

+1 for staying out of the poette ring/free of poetter-ware. Or would it be poetterOS?
Hm, Sievers + Poettering = sievering? Keep the sheep within, the wolfs without. :)

I don't want to have Pulseaudio installed.
That's your choice, but you are going to suffer for it. PulseAudio was designed to make switching audio streams, between apps and between devices, effortless.
If you want to stick with alsa, something like
arecord -B 10 -D <microphone_device> | aplay -B 10 -D <modem_device> &
arecord -B 10 -D <modem_device> | aplay -B 10 -D <microphone_device> &
But then you won't be able to play any other audio while on a call, and if another process already has the audio device active you might not be able to do this.

Well, you could use something heavy like jackd, if you dislike pulseaudio that much. But sounds (pun intended) like overkill to me. And it would require more work with bridges for applications that don't support jack directly.

Last edited:
Unless 4G and 3G chips would result in an equal price, I'd rather go with the 3G chip myself, because I don't even have a 4G plan nor do I plan to get one in the forseeable future.

Also, if the 4G chip lacks 3G alltogether, then it is a no-no for me which is unfortunate since I planned on getting rid of the necessity of a secondary device for phone stuff...

I can't really move to Europe, I hope we find out soon what has to happen for US to get a mobile one.
I can't either. I think it is pretty simple for us to get one: 400+ US 4G or global 3G units get preordered, with the exact number determined by how much ED wants to risk it.

+1 for staying out of the poette ring/free of poetter-ware. Or would it be poetterOS?
Hm, Sievers + Poettering = sievering? Keep the sheep within, the wolfs without. :)
Are you not planning on using the default OS?

Are you not planning on using the default OS?
Yes and no. I plan to have it and keep it up to date, so that I something on the device that works, despite trying something else and likely failing alot.

What I'd like to have is a Linux:
- w/o poetterware
- with musl instead of glibc
- a file system a la gobolinux
- w/o X
- awesome wm maybe

Don't know if I can pull this off. I have little experience with Linux. And, I guess I've got to make compromises, since I can't do without my Pale Moon.
For now, I'm trying to set up something (Linux) on my desktop, but only having my Wii U controller to browse for HowTos and such while trying to find my way around a headless install is somewhat limiting. :)

yeah, definitely try the default, see how it works, try to customize it, make small changes (e.g. live without pulseaudio), before trying to throw the baby out with the bathwater...

Debian is extremely convenient. i've also had aspirations to try things like Gobolinux (or NixOS seems even a bit better), but it is super easy to install 99% of all programs you want in just seconds in Debian. but it's a matter of taste, whether you want the OS itself to be something to hacked on, or just to use the OS to hack on other things.

[edit] in your list, AwesomeWM should easily be doable from within debian. i use i3 wm myself, since it seems to support external monitors better than awesome, but maybe that's changed since i've used it.

w/o X will require wayland getting into place, which would be better on a distro like Arch.

Some things I would like to have eventually not today, like no X. And I forgot a detail.

For now I'd like: rolling release, no poettering (as far as I can do it), awesome, Pale Moon of course.

Back