Case closed?

I really don't mind the little rattle from the stylus, as long as it's keeps itself in place. The shoulder button however is more important that it's perfect, so close to perfect. I hope this case revision is good enough for the prototypes, so they can be shipped out.

Did you try it with other boards to see if the shoulder button rattles with those too? Is it possible it's just some boards it rattles with? You don't want to change it and then have it be too tight for some of them.

If the CPU boards are working, and the mainboards too, is that the last barrier for mass production?

Oops, no, he said it's too tight. That's a bigger issue because it could damage the button underneath over time. I should not have watched it so early in the morning, I'm too tired to interpret it properly.

Great video ED, the Pyra is looking really nice and I can't wait.

Even though you may have thought this process was going to be easier, it may have been, if you turned out another device with the laundry list of issues of the Pandora. Ensuring the best possible device you can "today", was much more important than getting a partial working device to market "yesterday". Rome wasn't built in a day, or any other things worth doing, never forget that.

Once the Pyra starts to ship(especially after the prototype units), this device will be much better situated for a longer term of success thanks to getting the fine details as best as possible. While I'm sure many reviewers and opinions will make note of the old tech, but having a nice build quality will help those with blinders on to see the amazing device this is, and what it can become. So while this journey may have been longer than expected, I would say the Pyra is looking every bit as good, as we all hoped it would because of it, so thanks for that.

Chris

Great video, and good to see you looking much more relaxed in this video. The Pyra's going to be fantastic! :)

There's a useful Japanese expression for times like this, おお疲れ様でした(ootsukare-sama-deshita) which I believe doesn't translate well, into English at least, but means something like "Thanks for all your hard work"

Finally, I got to see the video! Firstly I needed to upgrade my youtube grabber, and transfer it to my build server to scale it for my laptop's screen, then transfer the scaled version back, and even then I couldn't play it at 1x speed, and had to slow it down a tenth or so to keep in sync. Looking at my htop view though, it seems I might need to kill firefox while watching videos these days, and my rss reader was chewing a fair bit of cpu time just then, as it was updating my feeds.

Nice video though. I especially enjoyed the Factor 5 t-shirt, and the GP32 mug, and of course the progress made towards Grench's prototype unit (and all the other unknowns there are).

At last something is moving and is moving in a right direction. The thing in a movie, with shoulder buttons not clicking in their place first, shows an important and I think a bit under-valued solution. This is one of these details everybody ignores but I like these, as they all sum up in a good device.
The solution used in Pyra can be seen around 9:39, and is required for used SMD contacts. The thing is that the shoulder button pressed has other things to halt than the switch limiter itself - it has additional limiting things in form of casing and mainboard, I don't know what will hit first. So - it will be harder to damage the switch to the degree that it will require larger and larger force (contacts shift) than in GPD Win, in which the only thing creating a shoulder button stop is the shoulder button contact.

Yes, on the Pandora a few people managed to drop theirs on a corner button, and at least half of the time that makes the button slip inside its intended stop (it normally fouls the rest of the case) and can then bend the button's support. The Pyra switches aren't built the same though, and if over pressed would probably tear themselves off the board. IIRC the Pyra case has posts and stuff built in that are intended to foul the button plastics in a way they can't easily slide past.

I heard sturdy as well. Maybe he thinks he has a heavier accent than he does.

Hmmm...drop test time?

It can't rip the switch off the PCB, as the plastic doesn't allow the button to slip in that far.
[doublepost=1521324256,1521324222][/doublepost]
Easy on the coffee, ED. You look - both physically and mentally - exhausted. You have our support, especially when it means you getting some rest and the Pyra getting late :)

Hm? I thought I was actually looking really fresh in that video. You should've seen me two weeks ago :D

It can't rip the switch off the PCB, as the plastic doesn't allow the button to slip in that far.
I meant in general. Does the case crack or shatter? I know later cases should be stronger, but how much can we abuse a clear one?

thanks for looking fresh and wearing an awesome factor5 shirt, ed! :)
i personally celebrated with a good cup of organic phuguri 2nd flush darjeeling tea, and will follow up in the earlier morning with an healthy and strong organic png arabica cooooofffffeeeeeeee! ;)
2 month! 2 month! 2 month!

Back