Can It Play Mp3-files In Energy-saving Mode?

Kloplop321 said:
isn't "rhapsody" a windows thing?
if so, I don't know if there are any linux available versions.
sorry if i sound stupid, but i dont see how it being windows only would affect it transferring to the pandora.
its a music management program with a subscription service option that runs on some devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
MWeston said:
This will take a while to master because I don't think current OMAP3 kernels even turn Smart Reflex features on yet.
Mentioned the link to the amiga before, but that makes me think of a quote I was reading on wiki yesterday about the Amiga 1000 :p
In 1994, as Commodore filed for bankruptcy, Byte magazine called the Amiga 1000 "the first multimedia computer... so far ahead of its time that almost nobody--including Commodore's marketing department--could fully articulate what it was all about."

waffles said:
Kloplop321 said:
isn't "rhapsody" a windows thing?
if so, I don't know if there are any linux available versions.
sorry if i sound stupid, but i dont see how it being windows only would affect it transferring to the pandora.
its a music management program with a subscription service option that runs on some devices.

It uses a Microsoft DRM scheme called PlaysForSure. For the Pandora to work with Rhapsody (or any other PlaysForSure service) it would have to get certified by Microsoft and would have to use their (and probably only their) special, proprietary, super-locked-down player. The likelihood of this happening is only slightly greater than the Pandora magically springing to life and doing your dishes for you.

In other words, it ain't gonna happen.

EDIT: Just to clarify, there is a desktop Linux version of the Rhapsody player. It doesn't much help us because it is x86-only (Fedora and Suse, apparently) and very closed source - at least as far as the part that authorizes the songs. Having an open source DRM scheme is sort of like writing the combination to a safe on the safe.

I'll look and see if there are any ports at all of it in the normal repositories, I'll edit in my conclusions.
EDIT
not in the repositories at all, however there is an article from December the 6th from 2005 that states that it is now available, but they are only focusing on the Window's market first(yeah right, just a crappy excuse to make Windows look "better"). And there is Streaming ONLY, no downloads. looks like M$ hates freeloaders that know what they are doing unlike the people they are letting off for not giving them a hint that computer education should be somewhat mandatory so they can scam them. That is why Norton, and other Virus protection, adware and so forth companies love windows, because that is how they make money is by people causing harm. Sure, in a way computer repairmen would get more money, more for setting up than "fixing" computers that have over a thousand viruses(the local record in our town is roughly 13 thousand malicious stuff that cause harm or un-wanted activities on a single computer). Mac is just an almost completely different fork of linux, both use X11 graphical server, both use a super User-like system, both have UNIX bases, and so on.

go on, support Microsoft™'s programs, be an ignorant customer, see the "value" of their "free software" like Internet Explorer; Be a dutch person that prays and worships Microsoft™ (idea came from an mp3 in dutch on my friend's site). Enjoy this "large" database of music that they claim.
Just remain ignorant, and as stupid as they would like you to. They want your money.

To tell you the truth, I was kind of expecting an SMM-esque feature when the Pandora was closed. It's such a standard in clamshell devices anymore, I don't see why we wouldn't have one. It would be nice if song navigation could still be controlled via the shoulder buttons when the unit was closed off as well, I can see that being a big help for use when you need to navigate without removing the Pandora from your pocket.

MWeston said:
This is sort of the idea I had in mind when suggesting to Craig we could get 100 hours of battery life just playing music.

What I thought would be ideal is to suspend Linux to SDRAM and then put the external memory to sleep. Then, using the internal scratch pad RAM, and maybe using the DSP core and its RAM, a low power, low speed music player could be run to just play music and use the shoulder buttons to change tracks. It would be pretty basic, but most of the time, I don't even look at the display when playing music. I just put the player on random shuffle so this seems like a great idea for when you don't need any of the Pandora's other capabilities.

The alternative is to see just how little power we can use with the screen off, unnecessary features powered down, the clock speed reduced way down to whatever minimum keeps required external interfaces working, and still running Linux (since it has so many codecs supported already). This will take a while to master because I don't think current OMAP3 kernels even turn Smart Reflex features on yet.
This kind of thing is what the world needs more of.

Also, I read somewhere that the OMAP3530 could decode MP3s with the Cortex at 10MHZ. Do I remember correctly? :p

Put me on the list.

I use my 624Mhz Axim x51v as my MP3 player, so I'm all for sledgehammers cracking nuts. :p It's all about one machine performing many functions.

MWeston said:
This is sort of the idea I had in mind when suggesting to Craig we could get 100 hours of battery life just playing music.

What I thought would be ideal is to suspend Linux to SDRAM and then put the external memory to sleep. Then, using the internal scratch pad RAM, and maybe using the DSP core and its RAM, a low power, low speed music player could be run to just play music and use the shoulder buttons to change tracks. It would be pretty basic, but most of the time, I don't even look at the display when playing music. I just put the player on random shuffle so this seems like a great idea for when you don't need any of the Pandora's other capabilities.

The alternative is to see just how little power we can use with the screen off, unnecessary features powered down, the clock speed reduced way down to whatever minimum keeps required external interfaces working, and still running Linux (since it has so many codecs supported already). This will take a while to master because I don't think current OMAP3 kernels even turn Smart Reflex features on yet.
Interesting. You know what would be ( or have been) a nice addition to Pandora?

- hold switch to avoid accidental track changing with shoulders
- small LCD display visible when lid is closed to display basic info like maybe clock, mp3 status etc.

But I realize it's too late for something like this to be added. And it's not a necessity etc.

I bet you could include that if wanted though :)

I know I'll use that little extra space in the up part for SOMETHING. And maybe I'll try to get L2 and R2 buttons somewhere too :p

Not to mention I use my desktop to play mp3s, which is more bulldozer for cracking nuts. And yes I drag it around with me because my Nomad Jukebox 2 died and my only working laptop is a Toshiba 610CT.

Hmm I like the idea, if someone else doesn't do I make do it myself. And as to cracking nuts with a sledgehammer... I've actually done that, hickory nuts(We have a tree) are TOUGH buggers. It actually takes more force with a sledgehammer then one would expect to crack them...

Right now, my GP2X (F100 mark I) is mostly used for listening to music, reading ebooks, cracking nuts, and sometimes Pokemon.

Currently use my mobile phone and a set of bluetooth ear buds for music - being wirefree is incredibly nice, and being able to answer calls without pulling the buds out (not that I get many, but what I do get are important) is just too convenient to want to change :)

HanDuo said:
I seldom use my GP2x for listening to music just because the LCD always is wasting useless energy.

Tried pressing Select?
Do you mean in craigAmp? Yes, I tried, but the LCD does not turn off. (GP2X 200 b ) :unsure:

Does it work with the 100 version? :rolleyes:

Hmm, I wonder. Since the Pandora now has Bluetooth capabilities, does anybody know of a simple bluetooth control module that could be used to wirelessly control MP3 playing? Ideally, something with all the control buttons (previous/rewind, play/pause, forward/next, maybe one for next playlist/previous playlist), and maybe a little low-res bi-color lcd screen that can display basic information.

Failing that, the above idea would be AWESOME as a custom-made after market peripheral.

Gilrad said:
Hmm, I wonder. Since the Pandora now has Bluetooth capabilities, does anybody know of a simple bluetooth control module that could be used to wirelessly control MP3 playing? Ideally, something with all the control buttons (previous/rewind, play/pause, forward/next, maybe one for next playlist/previous playlist), and maybe a little low-res bi-color lcd screen that can display basic information.
interesting, i like it, im planning on using my pandora in my car for music, would be cool to have a little device like that that would mount on the steering wheel. tho, i wouldnt want the screen.

Pretty cool little remote! I never even thought of something like that, but it's a good example of how BT expands the Pandora's uses.

EDIT: It's kinda pricey though... $50 - I personally wouldn't pay more than $20-$30 for something like that.

HanDuo said:
It's nice to see that so many of you want an energy-saving mode for playing mp3's as well. I seldom use my GP2x for listening to music just because the LCD always is wasting useless energy.
Why dont you get a media player software that can turn LCD off? There are several that can do that for F100 and at least one or two for F200.

HanDuo said:
HanDuo said:
I seldom use my GP2x for listening to music just because the LCD always is wasting useless energy.

Tried pressing Select?
Do you mean in craigAmp? Yes, I tried, but the LCD does not turn off. (GP2X 200 b ) :unsure:

Does it work with the 100 version? :rolleyes:

No, the built-in firmware player.

Prophet said:
Pretty cool little remote! I never even thought of something like that, but it's a good example of how BT expands the Pandora's uses.

EDIT: It's kinda pricey though... $50 - I personally wouldn't pay more than $20-$30 for something like that.

Woot sold these things for $9.99 once, I'm sure they'll have 'em again! :p

Back