Caanoo And Wiz....suggestions?

BigBigTruck

Still Fresh
I'm actually quite new to the portable homebrew scene. I remember hearing about the GP32X years ago but was turned off by how many issues the system had and how far it had to go. I came across a few videos about the GP2X Wiz and I was instantly sold on it and intended to replace my modded PS2-2000. Upon trying to find one, I see that they're sold out nearly all the time.

I just came across the Caanoo, and now I'm really interested in that too. I'm torn between the two. You probably get this a lot but........which one is better? I primarily want to use it for 8-16 bit emulation, primarily SNES/Genesis/MAME/Neo*Geo. Is the Caanoo and it's emulators able to run those games at perfect or near perfect performance( trying to avoid anything that makes games run like molasses)?? Also, can I hook up either device to a 32" HDTV(component/S-video/HDMI only), by chance?

Thanks!

If you can get a 2nd hand Wiz go for it, but is difficult now. You can buy a Caanoo too, has more memory, bigger screen and better controls. If you have big hands, perhaps you'll like the Caanoo more. Both have good emulators and 8 and 16 bits systems are near perfect emulation, but Wiz is *a little* faster in some emulators. MAME4ALL for example is wonderful in both consoles.

You can plug to your TV with the official cable (EXT to S-video), but I don't know if they sell it now.

Gonna go with the Caanoo then. Cant argue with a bigger screen and more memory.

Apparently the Wiz has some hardware-accelerated 3D capability that the Caanoo doesn't, but nothing really takes advantage of it anyways. Wiz is mediocre at SNES emulation for some reason, but does GB/NES/Genesis flawlessly.

I chose Wiz over Caanoo myself because it's pretty much equally capable, cheaper and has a real D-pad. I haven't regretted it, although I may have liked the Caanoo just as well.

HunterZ said:
<br>Apparently the Wiz has some hardware-accelerated 3D capability that the Caanoo doesn't, but nothing really takes advantage of it anyways.<br>
<br>Caanoo have the same SoC as the Wiz, with 3D acceleration unit. There are some apps/games that use it: GLQuake, Paper Wars and some games more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait to sell my PSP so I can get one. Those Caanoo bundles on eBay look like an amazing deal!

Back