Im Considering A Caanoo (Or Wiz)

MyBigToe

Still Fresh
Ive been reading up on both consoles and it seems fair to say that the caanoo is better hardware, but far less supported with emulators than the wiz, correct?

Its a sizeable purchase for me, but i am looking to buy it for GB, SMS (&GG), NES, SNES and MD emulation primarily.
Are there good, working emulators for the Caanoo yet for these consoles? And do they run at reasonable, playable speeds?
If not, what about on the Wiz? Ar the emulators more refined and fully operational?

I would personally go for the Caanoo over the Wiz. The emulators and software for the Caanoo is catching up to the wiz VERY quickly. Most of the emulators you listed already run very well on the caanoo. The megadrive emulator is near perfect and the snes emulators are also pretty decent (one snes emulator has better speed, and one has better compatibility) The gameboy emulator is also pretty nice. I haven't tried to play any SMS games though so I'm not sure about that. If your main concern is software, then get the Caanoo because there is already an impressive amount of content for it.

Assuming the Caanoo does eventually have a comparable library to Wiz, I'd go Caanoo based mostly on its hardware merits.
It is a very nice machine. I don't own a Wiz but I do have my trusty ole' GP2X f100, and I'll (grudgingly) say the Caanoo is a much nicer device even though I like the GP2X a lot.

Thanks for your replies
Youve eased my worries about the caanoo, ill probably pick that up soon

coldfis said:
Assuming the Caanoo does eventually have a comparable library to Wiz, I'd go Caanoo based mostly on its hardware merits.
It is a very nice machine. I don't own a Wiz but I do have my trusty ole' GP2X f100, and I'll (grudgingly) say the Caanoo is a much nicer device even though I like the GP2X a lot.

I agree.

Not having a wiz its a little hard to be sure, but based on the form factor (wiz is a little small for my liking) and the screen tearing issue (albeit tbh may no longer exist) plus the life of the display, I'd go for the Caanoo.

I got a Caanoo this Christmas partly as a tactic to get the kids off my Pandora (which didn't work - one uses the Caanoo and the other Pandora - went wrong somewhere). Anyway, I'm very impressed.

The things I was expecting to find issues aren't. The joystick isn't a problem (not as good as the gp32 but much better than the gp2x stick). The speakers on the back still work fine. The lack of AA batteries (vs gp2x) isn't a huge issue as seem to get a good few hours play and charge from USB is ok - although would like to get another charge lead... but there is something nice about knowing when you run dead you can simply stick other AAs in... Bezel hiding some pixels really isn't an issue either.

The software is already pretty good and the progress on things like ruckage porting his games, psx recent release etc shows great promise.

Importantly, the Caanoo feels more solid than the gp2x (and indeed even the Pandora). And tv out works well (even if not for all emulators).

For me its not a replacement for the Pandora, but it does what it does very well, and whilst I'd already stopped using the gp2x as it ate batteries, it fills that void very nicely.

In short, the Caanoo is a good bet not least as its better to join the party at the beginning of the console life rather than the end so you share the excitement of the new releases :D

Last edited by a moderator:
@ andyB911

You let your kids use your Pandora!?! I hope they're ultra-careful with it.

I'd be keeping it in a locked case. And buy a couple of cheap DS's. ;)

coldfis said:
@ andyB911

Indeed - clearly stupid of me but when they see me using, they want to too. And thought the Caanoo would be a good diversion tactic but didn't work too well. I have warned them what will happen if they break it. But 4 and 6 aren't the best ages for really understanding that.

But back on topic, thats one of the reasons I was impressed with the Caanoo. Feels very solid and so happy to let them use that w/o supervision.

coldfis said:
@ andyB911

There are more good things than there are bad things on pandora. no point in being paranoid. Entertainment's got the world by the balls so they'll get you one way or another.

ma in tesol bachelor of business administration degree

Back