Wiz Or Caanoo For Development

nparkanyi

Still Fresh
Hello. I am wondering which console to get(wiz vs caanoo). I am interested in developing games for one of these platforms, but I am also interested in the emulation software. It seems the Wiz has better software selection, and the caanoo doesn't appear to have quite caught on yet. However this may change, and I think I would prefer developing for a newer system.

Also, I would like to run ScummVM, but it appears to run fine on both systems.

DosBox would be nice, and there doesn't seem to be a caanoo version (however I heard the Wiz version had poor performance).

I prefer the Caanoo, if that helps?

Nicer hardware IMO; (no pixel plague or screen shear)

nparkanyi said:
Also, I would like to run ScummVM, but it appears to run fine on both systems.

I would prefer the Caanoo for ScummVM, simply, because the screen is bigger, which makes using the touchscreen more easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would choose the caanoo. It has more "toys" like g-sensor, analog stick, usb, optional network, etc. Might be more fun to play around with.

/Uni

Yeah, I would go with the Caanoo, as the extra features makes for more open development possibilities.

Depends what you want to do with it. For developing goodness the caanoo has a few extra bits attached. Nothing too serious i would miss on a Wiz except the amount of ram and maybe the extra key (stick click). Decide how important it is for you. The Wiz has a compact shell which is quite good to carry around and the better (yet smaller) display. If its about Emulating: the Wiz has a great assortment of Emulators available which of most of them can be run directly and the rest via GinGE.

Also check out this thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/58826-wrong-time-to-buy-a-handheld-for-emulators/

and this: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=58882 for a mostly emulating perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the g-sensor seems like a great idea. It seems not much software has used it yet, which is a shame.

Caanoo it is.

Back