Wiz Or Caanoo For Development

nparkanyi

Still Fresh
Hello. I am wondering which console to get(wiz vs caanoo). I am interested in developing games for one of these platforms, but I am also interested in the emulation software. It seems the Wiz has better software selection, and the caanoo doesn't appear to have quite caught on yet. However this may change, and I think I would prefer developing for a newer system.

Also, I would like to run ScummVM, but it appears to run fine on both systems.

DosBox would be nice, and there doesn't seem to be a caanoo version (however I heard the Wiz version had poor performance).

coldfish

I prefer the Caanoo, if that helps?

Nicer hardware IMO; (no pixel plague or screen shear)

CKeichel

nparkanyi said:
Also, I would like to run ScummVM, but it appears to run fine on both systems.

I would prefer the Caanoo for ScummVM, simply, because the screen is bigger, which makes using the touchscreen more easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

u9i

Call me Uni
Website
riotdigital.com
I would choose the caanoo. It has more "toys" like g-sensor, analog stick, usb, optional network, etc. Might be more fun to play around with.

/Uni

SolarLune

Yeah, I would go with the Caanoo, as the extra features makes for more open development possibilities.

StarG

Website
copilot.mindforge.cc
Depends what you want to do with it. For developing goodness the caanoo has a few extra bits attached. Nothing too serious i would miss on a Wiz except the amount of ram and maybe the extra key (stick click). Decide how important it is for you. The Wiz has a compact shell which is quite good to carry around and the better (yet smaller) display. If its about Emulating: the Wiz has a great assortment of Emulators available which of most of them can be run directly and the rest via GinGE.

Also check out this thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/58826-wrong-time-to-buy-a-handheld-for-emulators/

and this: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=58882 for a mostly emulating perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:

nparkanyi

Still Fresh
Yes, the g-sensor seems like a great idea. It seems not much software has used it yet, which is a shame.

Caanoo it is.