C64 Drive emulator using SD

These substitute drive devices are great. Extend the lifespan of old kit, and give you access to more software than you could ever have dreamed of shaking a stick at.

Can't wait for one to replace the optical drive in consoles like Playstation. Fear of optical drive death prevents them getting more use!

This is great!, my c64 Floppy drive died several years ago.. well I think it just needs recalibration.. but haven't had the time and motivation to see how to do it.

i know you can mod a dreamcast to have a sd card reader but story i was reading was years ago when sd's were slow, they stated it was to slow to run games smooth off it haven't had any time get a dc and mod it and try some out

is that A sd card with a c64 emu and AaRoms on it , that is then plugged into a raspberry Pi that is then plugged into a c64 so you can use it's keyboard plus get nostalgia jives ? !

As Trashy says, it's a separate device that you use instead of the C64's floppy disc drive. Just as you normally would have loaded a C64 floppy on an actual old drive, the computer sees this thing as a floppy drive, and game roms on the SD as discs - so you don't have to worry about your games or ancient drive dieing anymore, and can continue to use your actual C64 hardware.

Similar devices are quite popular on Amigas, replacing the internal 3.5inch drive - so you can load your game roms as if they were actual discs. There are also versions in 'blank' game cartridges for the likes of SNES and Megadrive consoles. I think ED sells those!

Ok , thanks guys ( not to assume that everyone on here is male I just use it as a general term ) that really clears it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back