C= 1541 Disk Drive Emulator

TitanUranus

Here's a thought (perhaps it will attract a tiny bit more interest than my last post) - it would be absolutely AMAZING if the WIZ could be used as a C=1541 disk drive, serving a real C64 by attaching d64 images. This is a dream of mine - I can't afford an ultimate 1541 having spent my money on a wiz instead. There is an MSDOS 1541 emulator that even copes with fastloaders, sourcecode is available here:

http://www.kotinet.com/1541/1541emu2002-07-21.zip

I realise this is a million to one shot, but if you don't ask you don't get! I realise the emulator is for using a parallel port on a PC, but is there really no way to use some jiggery pokery to make a cable to connect a c64 to a Wiz and use as a 1541 (you might as well make it fastloader compatible while you're at it - ha ha) disk drive? If this could be done I am willing to bear your children (and being a man that is some commitment!).

While I am here, can I just ask if any work is being done on Vice for the Wiz? It's a great emulator, but enabling true 1541 compatibility really slows things down. I did figure out a command switch which means it will only slow down during loading from disk, not during play, but I would love to be able to play demo's that play and load at the same time.

It's possible, but you would need to design an interface and then write appropriate software. I don't think anyone is going to do that.

Not even for me? I'm the most important person in the world to me you know. :(

This would be easier on a NDS cause there a some hardware extension to connect IEC bus from C64: dsserial, GameIO

On WIZ you need a similar hardware extension. Either a controller, a CPLD or a simple IO port.

The software is nearly finished. Look at VICE emulator for WIZ. VICE has a "real drive" emulation flag, if set a perfect 1541 emulation will be done.

I would fork out serious money for this,..

But I will probably wait for one of these sweet looking bits of hardware, because I can't see anyone undertaking this for the Wiz.

Yes, 1541-u is a super device! It is like a real 1541, emulation is perfect!

I cant afford one, can't you write an emulator for it :D

I have a 486 laptop acting as a 40mb server, but it can't do fastloaders :(

Back