Business Plan sent to interested investors (2011 - 09 - 20)

I think Jumpman ordered 10 Pandoras, so you're not the biggest one yet ;)

I think this brings up a point that individuals that order multiple devices do not receive them all in one go. I think it would have been better for OPL to have limited per customer in order to satisfy the most amount of individual orders.

Of course if the volume of finished pandoras is significantly increased over round 1 with CC then this isnt much of a problem. But if it limited, i think you can be more effective with a limit per customer. For the jumpman example you could have made 9 other single orderors satisfied. And it quite possible those 9 people would have canceled by now.
That's crossed my mind as well. But, by the same token, I understand why it wasn't done that way. When pre-orders opened nobody was expecting for us to still be waiting for our units nearly 3 years later. And by the time anybody knew that it was going to take this long it was a tad late to change the deal.

Folks were annoyed enough over the premium Pandora orders.Theoretically, I thought there was supposed to be some sort of limit on orders in the first batch. Or I might not be remembering that correctly.

There was never a limit other than bandwidth initially.

My orders beyond my initial order were placed from Batch 2 preorders. I'm not sure about Jumpman, but I only ordered a Pandora first on day one, then I went through the purchase flow a 2nd time to add accessories. Why fight the limited bandwidth?

First through the line, first served, been through too many Pearl Jam fanclub preorders to know differently.

If preorders would have went to 5000 in the first three days, I think they would have taken all of those orders, maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't even think 4000 was a limit.

ED I have a question, after the pre-order, how long can you one hoped to receive the Pandora?

Cordialy

I think if you gave an extra incentive to pre-order;

- finally get the DSP working so developers can off load some processing to it

- Improve the UI and the get the latest version of the OS ready for launch

- Contact the emulator developers and offer some incentive to get them more polished (back to point 1) - full speed n64 emulation

- offer the faster clocked processor

- bump up the ram to 512mb

As you are sticking at the current premium order price - you will need to provide an incentive for people to pre-order. I ordered back in 01/2009 for just over £200 and I'm still waiting to receive mine. I would like to support your company by ordering a second unit, but money is really tight. If you are offering the same spec as you did 3 years ago for quite a bit more money I will really struggle to pre order another unit.

There also has to be a bit of a budget for marketing to get news out there when you start preorders again, also some concrete dates so that people don't think they will be waiting for another 3 years. How many cases have you got, or you sure you can get more at short notice from the Chinese company, also nubs etc

ED I have a question, after the pre-order, how long can you one hoped to receive the Pandora?

Cordialy

Once the investment is setup and I can start everything, it should take about 3 months and then a constant 1000 Pandoras per month would be possible (though I'd start carefully with the first ones and would say 1000 each 2 months).

Once the investment is setup and I can start everything, it should take about 3 months and then a constant 1000 Pandoras per month would be possible (though I'd start carefully with the first ones and would say 1000 each 2 months).
You might be able to produce 1000 per month, but I have strong doubts about you being able to sell that many. Well, perhaps for the first couple of months, but I fear a strong decline in demand afterwards. Can you make any reasonable predictions for the demand that you are expecting?

You might be able to produce 1000 per month, but I have strong doubts about you being able to sell that many. Well, perhaps for the first couple of months, but I fear a strong decline in demand afterwards. Can you make any reasonable predictions for the demand that you are expecting?

Yes, I expect about 6000 per year.

Don't forget we can upgrade the SoC to a newer version after 4000 as well as increase the RAM.

Also, with marketing, a more active developer scene, etc. and units finally in stock, I think the demand can be kept at a good rate.

The business plan's figures assume 1000 per month for the first few months, and then tapering off to 1000 every 2-3 months until 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoops, sorry. I was thinking about 2013 onwards, but the business plan actually has that covered as well. My memory had abandoned me for a moment.

Has anyone who's scrutinized this thought of something that ED might not have taken into account? There's gotta be SOME way to knock him down.

Has anyone who's scrutinized this thought of something that ED might not have taken into account?  There's gotta be SOME way to knock him down.

The production stuff is fairly well planned.  If anything, he underestimated the time it would take to get the legal and tax paperwork taken care of, and actually get the money from investors.

Has anyone who's scrutinized this thought of something that ED might not have taken into account? There's gotta be SOME way to knock him down.

The production stuff is fairly well planned. If anything, he underestimated the time it would take to get the legal and tax paperwork taken care of, and actually get the money from investors.

I didn't underestimate it. I know it can take a while. I didn't really set a starting date, I'll give the go as soon as everything is setup. The faster the better, but I won't give the companies a go until this is all properly setup.

Might take especially long if you're not from Germany though.

The German contracts are finished next week, taxwise everything has been setup for my company. So theoretically, a German investor could sign up next week and send the money the day after.

That would be pure luck though. :)

Also, as only about 80.000 EUR are needed to START everything, I could make the contracts with all investors - and while not all can transfer the money right away, as long as there are 80.000 EUR there already, the remaining investors could send the money weeks later.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was never a limit other than bandwidth initially.

My orders beyond my initial order were placed from Batch 2 preorders. I'm not sure about Jumpman, but I only ordered a Pandora first on day one, then I went through the purchase flow a 2nd time to add accessories. Why fight the limited bandwidth?

First through the line, first served, been through too many Pearl Jam fanclub preorders to know differently.

If preorders would have went to 5000 in the first three days, I think they would have taken all of those orders, maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't even think 4000 was a limit.
Initially there was a limit on how many they would pre-order total. And if you search the boards, I'm sure you'll find statements about them limiting the number of units per person as a way of discouraging people from flipping them on eBay.

But, this is the first I've heard of people being able to buy more than just two or three.

I'd feel safer in any investments if there was some information on contracts or a backout plan if another supplier starts dicking them around again. I'm sure they've got enough cases for now, but what happens when they need more and the company they were using, oops, destroyed the mould? Or if this new German company has as much trouble getting up to speed as CC seems to be having? Or the nub manufacturer goes out of business (again).

The only other concern would be if a cheaper Chinese knock off suddenly showed up. Cutting some features, making the board a lot simpler, using a different but binary compatible CPU (ie, existing PNDs could continue to run), a company could produce something close enough to the Pandora for much cheaper to steal some customers. This is only a concern for me until they can use up the existing OMAPs they've got and start looking at better parts, which according to the business plan I think should run out by end of 2012. So, can we survive another 18 months without a clone? Probably, but it's something to consider.

Once the investment is setup and I can start everything, it should take about 3 months

Wow.

so i may not get mine until next year.

*sighs*

i feel like my mom now. OnO

when she was a kid, she waited a whole year for one of those mail-order sega genesis.

now, i'm doing something similar. XD

DX

*sighs*

i feel like my mom now. OnO

when she was a kid, she waited a whole year for one of those mail-order sega genesis.

now, i'm doing something similar. XD

DX
But you'll be able to play so much more than Sega Genesis. Its totally worth the wait, and if you are currently in line waiting, its better than being at the beginning of the new line forming or the end of that line depending how quick you get your preorder in.

Back