Broadband Providers

Steve-O

anyone got a list of good broadband providers in the UK?? Currently with Pipex but the bastards seem to have reduced my Max download speed from 135kb per sec to 105kb per sec!!!

thanks

Telewest Blueyonder (cable) gets my vote. Hasn't let me done yet since 2 years ago. 4mb connection at £25 a month. 2 mb (or 1.5) at £15.

Does anyone have experience with Talk Talk? Their free broadband deal looks pretty good, but I don't want to sign up without hearing from someone who's tried them!

Since you're in the UK, I can't be of any help, but in the US SBC/Yahoo DSL (now AT&T High-Speed) is a great service, I dunno if there's any variant of that in the UK or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking into Eclipse and they seem ok, 40GB a Month Peak Usage seems ok seen as Peak times are 6pm till midnight which is when I hardly use the net anyway :)

Thing thats pissing me off is this Fair usage policy but Im guessing all companies will be doing this soon

Go aol
they willl rock your world in a bad way
i had them a while ago
god, they are the worst ever, ever, ever
they hardly supply internet
they supply spam and things you dont need

AOL is stupid and should be banned from supplying internet connections and posting them shitty "FREE INTERNET" cd's out... I remember when I was 12 and we just got a PC and I put that stupid AOL Disc in that came in the Post.... Once its installed its Stuck their like some Virus that cannot be deleted... Ended up Formatting the whole PC to get rid of it!!!

on a plus side if someone pisses you off, just install the AOL Free Net disc on their computer :p LOL

Nildram are the mutts. I went onto Nildram for gaming years ago and have never regretted it. Low pings and good throughput. Lovely :)

I can upload at 45k and download at around 300k. Not bad considering there are 5 wireless networks in range of my laptop excluding my own :)
Isn't it supposed to be 8megabit? aka 1024k....

Up to 8meg. It adjusts automatically depending on the quality of your line, distance, amount of traffic, etc.

This is the real world Sam. I get about 4.5 mega bits on my line but with traffic etc it works out to about 300k download speed which is fine for me. It has peeked a lot higher than that but I can get 300k any day reliably.

This is the real world Sam. I get about 4.5 mega bits on my line but with traffic etc it works out to about 300k download speed which is fine for me. It has peeked a lot higher than that but I can get 300k any day reliably.
I too live in the real world. Hence I have 2.2 megabit but can get 300k...

I use BT (the £18.99) which might sound expensive but ive never had a single problem and i get 2048 on some websites (like videopimp.org) but generally around 512kb.

my advise ring up BT regardless of which company you go for and find out how much data they can send to your exchange.

i live about a quarter of a mile away from mine and get 5.1mb* (instead of 8.1).

Additional: I did not like the free router they gave me so i bought my own (adsl+2/wirelss router) and i get it 1 mb faster than i should plus all my computers/DS connected at the lowest cost.

oh and IMO if you have AOL or NTL setup discs then they make good cup coasters. :D

Back