Broadband suggestions...

Axeman

Axemeister
Website
Visit site
Hiya all,

You may have noticed I've been a bit quiet recently. Basically, I've moved house about a month ago, and my exchange is finally being broadband enabled next wednesday. Until then I have to put up with dialup.

Lets put it like this....

DIALUP IS THE SPAWN OF THE DEVIL.

Well... maybe that's a bit strong, but it's annoying nonetheless.

After 2 years on broadband, it's hell going back to dialup, and it's made me avoid the net in a way I never thought I'd do :( Anyways - I'm getting it back as soon as my exchange is enabled, so I have a request........

Does anyone know any good broadband deals at the moment in the UK

I'm currently looking at Tiscali, which is £26.99 a month, with the first 3 months at £15.99. Free modem and free connection.

A few others, like Bulldog, offer great offers, but you have to pay connection (up to £60) and buy a modem (£25 ish).

Any suggestions will be welcome :)

Cheers!

I use pipex and when I signed up it was ~£21 per month with the third month free. I'm not sure what offers they have at the moment. Check www.adslguide.org.uk for info on lots of providers

nildram is the fastest UK ISP at the moment and it costs the same as pipex. gets me between 50 and 70 k/s usually plus for some reason my downloads start at 200/300 k/s !!! that could just be the drivers for my modem though

*edit www.adslguide.org has reviews of the best ones*

I currently use Blueyonder, who have been VERY generous with what they allow with regards to uploading/downloading. I can get up to 70 KB/s too, with the default 512/128 package, but also 1 and 2 MBit packages are available. Exchange is never really down either. Drawback: Doesn't use BT phone line, instead a direct cable to their exchanges. We chose it because we have too many phone sockets and microfilters are expensive.

Right - that's swung it..... Pipex it is!

not long now!!!

and I'll be BACK WITH THE FAST 'UNS!
(and no download limits either - unlike some ISPs I could mention!!!)

Cheers!

Axeman - Please could you mention my PIPEX address thing ( apci90@dsl.pipex.com ) when your signing up so I can have a Free month :D :p B) :) :blink: hehe Thanks

Blueyonder would be great, but, like NTL, they dont run cables into the wild Welsh Valleys. So pipex it is :)

I've gone with the corporate beast AOL for their 45 day trial until I get my BB installed. Dislike AOL with a passion - slow, too much bloatware, and sooooo damn corporate. However, if they feel they have to give me free access until such time as I no longer require them, the so be it :D

Cheers all!

I've gone with the corporate beast AOL for their 45 day trial until I get my BB installed. Dislike AOL with a passion - slow, too much bloatware, and sooooo damn corporate. However, if they feel they have to give me free access until such time as I no longer require them, the so be it :D

Cheers all!
Yes that is a good idea that we also tried, but be wary. The AOL customer service reps will fight tooth and nail to stop you quitting their service. The phone call could take hours, they play devious mind games with you. My suggestion: threaten them with physical violence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to confuse the issue a bit, I rummaged on the internet and found www.Giointernet.co.uk . Probably the cheapest deal on the internet. Unfortunately they don't supply you with any email addresses on the broadband deal, but they do with their free dial-up package.
Step one - sign up for broadband.
Step two - sign up for their free dial-up
Step three - create your addies on your dial-up account name.

I have no idea how they can do it so cheap. £18.95+£0.00 per month. One offs of connection fee (which they have no control over) and ADSL hardware (Upwards of £25 depending on what kit you've got and what you need).

I've not had any problems with Gio (BT were a little slack with actually activating my line though :( ). But I have heard reports on what happens when you decide to finish using them (eg. them still billing you after you've asked to be disconnected). A little disclaimer on that though - it was a while ago. How long are you planning on living in your new place? :D

all of you guys that have broadband should consider yourselves VERY lucky. Being part of this community is difficult because I am stuck with dialup, and dialup is currently the ONLY choice for internet where I live.

i know you cant get ntl, but just thought i would mention it. I had a very determined salesman and managed to get 600k broadband for just £14.99 a month!! not bad eh? However the price does go up to £24.99 after a year, so i hope this year goes very slowly.... :D

i know you cant get ntl, but just thought i would mention it. I had a very determined salesman and managed to get 600k broadband for just £14.99 a month!! not bad eh? However the price does go up to £24.99 after a year, so i hope this year goes very slowly.... :D
What download speeds do you get???

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that is a good idea that we also tried, but be wary. The AOL customer service reps will fight tooth and nail to stop you quitting their service. The phone call could take hours, they play devious mind games with you. My suggestion: threaten them with physical violence.

Yeah - I've done thios several times - I think the "I've already got broadband with another company" line will work quite well :D

I had NTL 600k and used to get 80k a second quite often. Good service!

Back