Sky Broadband

sam fisher

Website
blog.peter-r.co.uk
Sky have started their broadband and although I can only get their 'Sky BroadBand Connect' at the moment it still seems better than my deal with wannadoo. So I was wondering, does anyone have it or know someone who has it and is it any good?

You looked at the Carphone Warehouse/TalkTalk deal?
I thought it looked better when you included all the extras

sam fisher posted on Jul 28 2006 at 10:06 PM said:
No, its shit. Their network is over burdened and they are unreliable. Plus I think they enforce limits. Plus I like SKY :D
I can't comment on the reliability, I only know one person with it, but the limit is 40GB.
I download a lot, but even for me 40GB is a huge amount.
Also, if you're talking about the burden mentioned recently on the news, that was a) they had something like 250,000 sign-ups in the first month and B) LLU is still extremely difficult with BT faffing around.

Personally, I wouldn't trust Sky with my phoneline.

Had a quick look over the Sky one to see what sort of contention and bandwidth they offered, but I couldn't understand the terms.
Worse, read 7 here: http://www.sky.com/skybybroadband/termsandconditions
They've given themselves the right to copy any data you download using their broadband, if I read that correctly.
I realise T&Cs are all legal bull, but it's just very vague.

My gf is with Demon, and the service they offer is definitely the best I've ever witnessed among all of the other broadband providers. However, "you pay for what you get"

Edit: Ah, it was 476,000 - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/27/carphone_q1/

Last edited by a moderator:
I really believe that EVERY ISP has that right in their ToC's. How else could the MPAA and RIAA type companies prove you had done something illegal? I wonder if they enforce their limit. Wannadoo never did when they had a limit. THEY ARE TAKING AGES TO GIVE ME 8MEG. Apparently my lines is capable, and would be with SKY. Fucking Orange fucking around for the past 2 years.

Damn BT and their hate of Local Loop Unbundling.

sam fisher posted on Jul 28 2006 at 10:24 PM said:
Damn BT and their hate of Local Loop Unbundling.
Couldn't agree more

On a side note, have you ever looked at broadband packages on the continent?

sam fisher posted on Jul 29 2006 at 12:14 AM said:
On the continent? As in Britain....As in where I live. If so. Very much, yes.
Pfff! Britain's not /on/ the continent.

Aside from semantics, the French have had ADSL2+ for a couple of years now, was what I was trying to say. And I'm under the impression the other countries have, too (not in rural areas, of course).
The bitch is that they've always paid far less for their broadband than we ever have.

sam fisher posted on Jul 29 2006 at 12:14 AM said:
On the continent? As in Britain....As in where I live. If so. Very much, yes.
No, "on the continent" as in continental europe, which is what "on the continent" means.

Wite_Noiz posted on Jul 28 2006 at 09:53 PM said:
You looked at the Carphone Warehouse/TalkTalk deal?
I thought it looked better when you included all the extras

I was going to join them, but because of the huge demand trying to get through to talk to them is near impossible, cant even wait in a queue just says 'sorry we are busy bye'.

The free broadband offer isnt everywhere either, i had to pay 10 pounds a month more for that (still good value) but i was put off by their non-existant technical help team and the tough ways to try to get hold of them. I kept calling Carphone Warehouse to get through to them instead of the main Talk Talk line

In the end i went with BT, got the homehub, wireless option etc, they are dearer but as i work at home i need a 100% connection and not faff around with someone like Carphone Warehouse

The Max option looks great value £10 a month with 16meg and unlimited useage, but I can also only get Connect

Nova posted on Jul 31 2006 at 07:33 PM said:
The Max option looks great value £10 a month with 16meg and unlimited useage, but I can also only get Connect
Me to unless they have their LLU enabled in your exchange.

psj3809 posted on Jul 31 2006 at 10:53 AM said:
In the end i went with BT, got the homehub, wireless option etc, they are dearer but as i work at home i need a 100% connection and not faff around with someone like Carphone Warehouse
Good luck with that. I was with BT for two years and had nothing but grief.
I realise I'm a minority case, but BT were of absolutely no help when there were technical problems with the broadband card in my local BT exchange.

They sent an engineer to my house who said the line and connection were fine - so I had to stump up £60 for wasting his time.
Two months later (of slow, dropping connection) the card finally failed and BT admitted that it was probably faulty the whole time. Took three more months to get a refund for the engineer and money back for the terrible connection.

It wouldn't be too bad, but BT have always been ridiculously overpriced, and I assumed it was to give you a better service overall. *sighs*

Back