Brand new 1GHz - can't charge via AC adapter

MikeS

Still Fresh
Hello,

I just recieved my brand new 1GHz model today (ordered last Friday) and though I'm quite pleased with it, it appears that the unit does not charge via the AC adapter. It does appear to charge properly via the USB plug, which is at least something. I got my multimeter out and checked the  AC adapter, all is well there. I pulled the back cover off and ensured that nothing was loose or broken off.

Any suggestions on what to check next?

Thanks!

- Mike

Oh dear. I also developed this issue, but only after a few years of heavy use. Have decided not to RMA as I can live with charging via USB.

I'll be very curious to see how your issue gets resolved.

It charge not ever,maybe your Accucell was more Full than 90% ?

When the Board Itself have all Acitvated and using like:

Usb Host,

Wlan,

Usb Networking,

TV Out

Then it can sometimes happen that the Energy Drain is too much and the Charging LED wont go on.

A simple Test to try charging Functions is:

Activate Pandora Standby while plugged AC Adapter and wait a little.

The Charging LED schould go on then. ;)

When not then realy RMA or try a Reflash before RMA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just shut the unit down and see if it powers on by itself when plugged in. 

If not, that means your board is broken. 

But there really is a chance for other problems, eg mine wont charge from usb but only under this firmware. 

Last edited by a moderator:
For me the PSP charger works and the one that came with the pandora does not.

It looks like it's charging (charging light comes on) but nothing is happening in regards to the power percentage of the battery.

The PSP charger hasn't failed me once yet so that's what I use now.

I'm thinking about getting a USB to PSP cable like this one: http://www.game.co.uk/en/gameware-psp-usb-link-charger-cable-17471so I'd only have to bring one USB charger with me when I go away for a few days.

Thanks everybody for your great replies!

It charge not ever,maybe your Accucell was more Full than 90% ?
It was about 50% when it arrived.

When the Board Itself have all Acitvated and using like: Usb Host, Wlan, Usb Networking, TV Out Then it can sometimes happen that the Energy Drain is too much and the Charging LED wont go on.
So far only the WiFi has been turned on.

A simple Test to try charging Functions is: Activate Pandora Standby while plugged AC Adapter and wait a little. The Charging LED schould go on then. ;)
So far nothing.

When not then realy RMA or try a Reflash before RMA.
I'll have to lookup the reflash proceedure.

Just shut the unit down and see if it powers on by itself when plugged in.
Nothing. I also (with the cables unplugged) tried taking out the battery and just running it off the AC adapter, but that was unsucccessful. I saw lots of warnings online, so I was sure to unplug everything again before re-installing the battery.

Try a different charger (PSP charger for example) in addition to Elw3's post
And thanks Eight Bit for mentioning this too. I'll try to find one and see if that helps. Odd though because the official charger appears to be working properly, as per my multimeter checks.

Having voltage is no proof for getting current, it may break down once under load.

However, i tend to believe its the internal connector that is broken... lets hope not.

Another question, if I am going to just charging via the USB port do I need to be wary of completely draining the battery? I thought I read something about that...

Thanks all for your comments so far.

Another question, if I am going to just charging via the USB port do I need to be wary of completely draining the battery? I thought I read something about that...

Thanks all for your comments so far.
I think it just takes longer (feels like forever) to charge from nothing with USB.  It may take a while for anything to happen.  I could be wrong, since this is based on my possibly faulty memories of when I did it.

my new board wont charge from charger either, the charge light just flashes as if the battery is low...

This charging problem happened to me couple times in the past.  What I did was taking out the battery for a while like 10 minutes and put it back in then the problem disappear, at least for me.

To be clear, the proper way to remove a battery is to unplug everything from the mains, then shut the machine down.  And the proper way to insert a battery is, with the machine still unplugged, inserting it and letting the machine boot up.

Removing and inserting a battery while the system is running and powered is not a supported mode of operation, and has been known to cause hardware issues in some isolated cases, so better safe than sorry.

Thanks again everybody. I tried the battery removal trick and it didn't work.

Unfortunately it seems as though I have more problems now. When I go to charge via USB I will insert the cable and the red light will show and then it will go out as I fully insert the plug. I was thinking it might just be the LED, but I checked the the files in /sys/class/power_supply to verify it is switching to "charging" and then back to ""not charging" when I do this. I also tried another USB cable, but I ended up with the same results.

With no reliable way to charge my Pandora and my battery at 10%, I think it is time to throw in the towel. What is the process for sending my Pandora in for repair?

USB charging needs full power, it's unlikely you can charge by plugging it into your PC.

Before writing it off as completely busted, try a USB wall charger of at least 1A.

But even if that does work it does seem like the AC portion isn't working right, so you'll have to send it in. Just punch up a letter on the Contact Us page and let EvilDragon know what's wrong, he'll respond with the correct next steps.

Oh and i renember.

In the Boot Settings you must deactivate USB-Networking for loading the Pandora over USB.

Back