Ac Adapter Woes

ZeroCorpse

Still Fresh
OK, so I did something stupid. I ordered an AC adapter for the Wiz from PlayAsia, and didn't notice until after it shipped that it's made for the Euro market, with Euro prongs and voltage. I'm in the United States, so obviously I spent twelve bucks for nothing (unless I want to spend more and get an adapter for my adapter). I'm hoping PlayAsia will be nice and let me return for refund (and I guess I'm out a few bucks shipping).

So the first question is: Does anyone know of a Wiz AC adapter made for the US market? I can't seem to find one through the usual channels.

The second question is: Can I use *any* USB-to-AC adapter plug? I have one from my Kindle that plugs into the USB cable to charge via household current, but I don't know if the US current is going to be a problem for the Wiz. Anyone have any experience working out AC power options for the Kindle?

I just wanted something that I could use on the go, because sometimes I'm nowhere near a USB outlet (for example, my parents are old and don't want/have a computer). At home, USB is fine, but wall outlets are still more common than USB ports.

I used my iPod one with no problems. If it has a USB socket it should work fine.

Any AC-to-USB adapter that provides sufficient amperage will work. I emailed Tony Han and he said the Wiz requires 1A to charge, though I believe I've seen other people in the forum state that 750mA will work also. If it's underpowered, the Wiz simply won't charge, or will charge slowly. If it's overpowered, the Wiz will just draw what it needs.

Promised Planet said:
Any AC-to-USB adapter that provides sufficient amperage will work. I emailed Tony Han and he said the Wiz requires 1A to charge, though I believe I've seen other people in the forum state that 750mA will work also. If it's underpowered, the Wiz simply won't charge, or will charge slowly. If it's overpowered, the Wiz will just draw what it needs.
Thats not so correct ;) .

The specification of an PC USB port ist 500mA and the WIz was shipped with a PC-USB Charging cable.
So you can be sure the Wiz will be correct charged with every adapter providing 5V DC and 500mA (or more of course) :)

But, charging and work at the same time, this will not work with too less amperage, thats right .

Best regards,
andY

Last edited by a moderator:
andymanone said:
Promised Planet said:
Thats not so correct ;) .

The specification of an PC USB port ist 500mA and the WIz was shipped with a PC-USB Charging cable.
So you can be sure the Wiz will be correct charged with every adapter providing 5V DC and 500mA (or more of course) :)

But, charging and work at the same time, this will not work with too less amperage, thats right .

Best regards,
andY

OK. That's good news. I was concerned about causing damage to the Wiz. The people at PlayAsia said I should just get a Euro-to-US adapter, but either way it means I probably spent the money on the official Wiz adapter for no reason, since I've got access to USB-to-AC adapters already (the Kindle adapter only provides 4.9V and .85A so I guess it's underpowered, but I could have gotten a USB-to-AC adapter in town for less than I paid to PlayAsia).

This will teach me to do a little more research on Korean accessories before placing an order! Seriously, though, I researched the Wiz itself for about three weeks before buying; I just had a brain lapse when I ordered the AC adapter. I doubt I'll run into something like this again, since I guess I've just about exhausted the choice of accessories for the Wiz. All that would be left now is the Accessory Pack (which I don't need; I have a wrist strap) the metal skins (which are kind of cool, I admit) and the official case (which I'm not sure I want, since I've read a lot of negative comments about it).

Thanks for the electrical help, guys.

ZeroCorpse said:
I doubt I'll run into something like this again, since I guess I've just about exhausted the choice of accessories for the Wiz. All that would be left now is the Accessory Pack (which I don't need; I have a wrist strap) the metal skins (which are kind of cool, I admit) and the official case (which I'm not sure I want, since I've read a lot of negative comments about it).

Hopefully there'll be a WiFi adapter someday. :rolleyes:

Back